Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's not just the immigrants who hate HR!

Wikiposts

It's not just the immigrants who hate HR!

Old May 18th 2012, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's not just the immigrants who hate HR!

29 year old struggling to get on the job ladder.

Some of what he says resonates with all job-hunters. Frustrations run high. So, for those starting out on the Canadian dream - when BE members tell you it can be tough getting a job here sometimes, well, it can be. But I guess it's a similar story across much of the world?

It's a shame he doesn't tell us what subject he studied at university (unless I just didn't see it) - he missed the opportunity to sell himself to a wider job-hiring audience.

"His name was left out so as not to prejudice his job search" :

Those bastards in HR ....
Old May 18th 2012, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: It's not just the immigrants who hate HR!

I read through it all. An interesting, albeit depressing(!) read. He certainly gets his point across.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:01 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I read it too.

The comments about how he should have done engineering etc and then he'd be racking it in in AB were annoying. It's not like anyone has a crystal ball about where the next boom will be. It sounds like he was trained for a career in finance, where people were making lots of $$$, and then the crash happened, so I feel for him.

On the other hand, I've posted my resume on the big company website -into the abyss- and got hired. I suspect he's just up against a lot of competition in his area, with not many jobs, whereas hardly anyone wants to do or knows about my job - it's very niche- so I don't have to deal with that.

And on the other other hand, some of the commenters who go back for a second or third qualification because they can't get work then complain about debt..seriously...? just get a job and experience. Anything. We've all been there.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

At least he has another 35+ years to build his career to retirement and he is actually managing to find work, albeit (in his words) on the lowly salary of $36k - which I would be more than happy to accept!

Perhaps he would like to try having the exact same problems as he is describing but only having 9 years to build enough money to survive retirement.. with a mortgage to be paid and no EI to boot.

Whining brat!

Old May 18th 2012, 4:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
At least he has another 35+ years to build his career to retirement and he is actually managing to find work, albeit (in his words) on the lowly salary of $36k - which I would be more than happy to accept!

Perhaps he would like to try having the exact same problems as he is describing but only having 9 years to build enough money to survive retirement.. with a mortgage to be paid and no EI to boot.

Whining brat!

$36k plus lots of free stuff and time to enjoy it all! The whole piece speaks of a sense of entitlement.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:05 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

At the age of 29, I've likely forever lost the following opportunities due to cost and probable inability to make up for lost wages and career potential:

- Getting married.

- Having children.

- Owning a home that's bigger than 500 square feet. (hint: that's not big.)

- Studying any more, whether that means grad school, law school, or even just night classes at a random community college.

- Retirement. Sure, I'd love to be investing for it. But with what money?
Seriously, he's only 29 and he's forever lost these things.
  • Getting married - over rated - freinds with benefits is the way to go
  • Kids - again, you're only 29 didn't have them 'til mid thirties
  • Owning a home - you still have lots of time and when you get married, and then divorced, she'll take half of it anyway
  • Studying - what you need is experience
  • Retirement - again, you're only 29 enjoy your life and worry about it later

Can I be 29 again with just those problems, please.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Both me and my girlfriend had some very irritating HR experiences lately. I applied for a job, and after 2 weeks was invited to an interview. Places will only interview you 9-5 so I had to leave work early to make it. So I get there and it turns out they're reading my resume for the first time, they had no idea what qualifications or experience I had and the overall feeling was I probably wasn't suited to the position, and all the information to tell them that was already on the resume! What was happening during the two weeks after I applied? Things like that just waste everyone's time!

Then my girlfriend applies for a job at an interior design company (she has design/drafting qualifications), gets an interview and has to make a long trip out there for it, and when she gets there there is no employers but just the HR person, who then asks her 2 questions to "narrow down applicants" (why not phone interview?), offers her an appalling salary and after asking the HR person what was going on it turns out that instead of being considered for the Decorator position she applied for, she is now being considered for just an on the floor Sales Associate, so they changed the position without informing her. She was rather mad.

It definitely feels like Vancouver has some really corrosive culture when it comes to how employers and HR people treat job applicants.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:58 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

wow, i've never had an experience like that. Must depend on the industry I guess.
Old May 18th 2012, 6:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I read that as well.

Basically he wants a well paying corporate job but doesn't want to put in the hours or do the junior roles to earn it.

His degree he feels entitles him to it.

I was similar when I left University but soon realized that that the University of life gives no freebies.

Some truth in what he says and many of us have been in frustrating job searches but really he should pull up his songs and stop blaming everyone else.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
29 year old struggling to get on the job ladder.

Some of what he says resonates with all job-hunters. Frustrations run high. So, for those starting out on the Canadian dream - when BE members tell you it can be tough getting a job here sometimes, well, it can be. But I guess it's a similar story across much of the world?

It's a shame he doesn't tell us what subject he studied at university (unless I just didn't see it) - he missed the opportunity to sell himself to a wider job-hiring audience.

"His name was left out so as not to prejudice his job search" :

Those bastards in HR ....
Interesting read. I've been there myself, but it's also worth considering the other side of the coin. I'm an HR professional, and got my start as a recruiter.

The problem with all of this "anti-HR" sentiment is recruitment is a small part of what HR actually does. And recruiting is generally done by more junior people just getting their start in HR.

It's also worth considering how challenging it can be to sort through hundreds of resumes for one single posting. My record was over 1,200 applicants for one vacancy! Naturally, a whole lot of people are going to be disappointed in such a situation. We can't hire everyone (although I do concede many HR professionals and employers in general need to treat candidates with more respect).

The following blog posts might also be interesting to some readers:

http://www.hrreporter.com/blog/HR-Po...yers-too-picky

http://www.hrreporter.com/blog/HR-Po...em-down-gently
Old May 19th 2012, 11:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If he knows all these super qualified people then he should stop complaining and start his own business.