British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Its the Monsoon season!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/its-monsoon-season-307422/)

Purley Jun 7th 2005 12:43 pm

Its the Monsoon season!!!

Most people come to western Canada to get away from the English rainy weather. I think they must have brought the weather with them!!

Southern England has a virtual drought. Alberta has flooding:

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...c-88f63985db45

On the news it said that the South Saskatchewan River in Saskatchewan, up river from Lake Diefenbaker towards the Alberta border is supposed to crest five METRES above normal in the next week.

I planted tomatoes again this year. I should have planted rice! I am trying to Killex my dandelions but it needs six hours without rain. I don't think we have had six hours without rain since April!

Just warning anybody who is headed this way - bring your umbrellas!

Corky Jun 7th 2005 12:51 pm

Re: Its the Monsoon season!!!

Liz I know what you mean.......I think the whole country has gone crazy. We had our monsoons already. Swollen lakes and rivers and we lost 2 bridges so it makes it very difficult for us to get out of here. But we cope! The lake is still very high and haven't much of a chance to get the boat in yet....
Oh and Liz you know what will follow all the rain........mosquitos with army boots on!!!! not only do you need and umbrella...don't forget your bug spray!

Iginla Jun 7th 2005 12:57 pm

Tell me about it!

Was listening to the radio today next thing there was a mandatory evacuation warning for residents of High River (well named) AB as it had just burst it banks.

It hasn't stopped here for 3 days and on Sunday eve there were weather warnings for hail storms and twisters (small ones) touching down in the south of the province.

Edward de Par Jun 7th 2005 1:27 pm

Here in SW Manitoba is really bad too!.

Weve had a tornado touch down in Melita and 110 ml rain and more rain predicted. The plants I bought and put in on May long weekend have disappeared and any seeds have not shown as yet.

When I woke up this morning it was not very bright in the room and fearing the worst and looked out to find the driveway is a small lake. Its cool with only 11c.

This is the same as last year a complete washout with vicious mosquitoes!

hot wasabi peas Jun 7th 2005 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Most people come to western Canada to get away from the English rainy weather. I think they must have brought the weather with them!!

Yes probably, I just looked out my window. Not a cloud in the sky. :)

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I planted tomatoes again this year. I should have planted rice!

Just pretend you're growing them hydroponically :D.

Gray C Jun 7th 2005 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Corky
Liz I know what you mean.......I think the whole country has gone crazy. We had our monsoons already. Swollen lakes and rivers and we lost 2 bridges so it makes it very difficult for us to get out of here. But we cope! The lake is still very high and haven't much of a chance to get the boat in yet....
Oh and Liz you know what will follow all the rain........mosquitos with army boots on!!!! not only do you need and umbrella...don't forget your bug spray!

Hi

As you know we are coming out near you at the end of July (Ponhook Lake Labelle). Are the problems with the bridges, likely to affect us at all? Should we hire a boat rather than a car?

What is the best deterrent for the mossies, any suggestions?

Brodel Jun 7th 2005 9:29 pm

I'm in the UK at the moment and its a beautifull sunny day, expected to feel around 21/70 degrees :)

Purley Jun 8th 2005 1:15 am

Will you please shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well - never mind - I will be in Kent on the 21st - but then it will probably be raining there!!!!!

Corky Jun 8th 2005 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

As you know we are coming out near you at the end of July (Ponhook Lake Labelle). Are the problems with the bridges, likely to affect us at all? Should we hire a boat rather than a car?

All being well the bridge that you would use will be fixed this week, although it may be temporay till the water really goes down alot further but at least it will be passable.
As for the mossies....well they should be on the way out, but one never knows....so get some bug spray something like Skinastic. Also get some cream like Beneadryl, it is a hydrochloride cream it takes the itch out and prevents to much swelling. Other than that you will be fine. Ponhook and Molega Lakes are lovely right now and you will enjoy yourself.

Purley Jun 8th 2005 1:59 am

Here is a link to the BBC website about the "hosepipe" ban.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4613851.stm

If you are in Canada - you will understand why I find a "hosepipe" ban funny!! In Canada it would be called a watering ban or something like that -- I guess it might be called a garden hose ban -- oh well different strokes -- I guess I will also have to get used to Nachos with sour cream and salsa using Doritos flavoured chips --- yuck.

Don't get me wrong - I love most things about England and I do like Doritos, but not with salsa and sour cream!!!

ksct97 Jun 8th 2005 3:38 am

well over here on the east... the rain today is very welcome... ok not alot (yet!) but the humid and hot (from 28degrees up) weather of late is doing my allergies no favours at all... today is nice and cool (23degrees), tomorrow hitting 30degrees... oh well should enjoy the weather i guess :) soon be winter...

hot wasabi peas Jun 8th 2005 3:49 am

Just make sure you're always with someone who the mosquitos like better than you. ;)

Gray C Jun 8th 2005 6:11 am

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Just make sure you're always with someone who the mosquitos like better than you. ;)

My wife for sure. She is the only person I know that can get bit when there are no mossies around!!

Smokey Jun 8th 2005 10:41 am

My wife for sure. She is the only person I know that can get bit when there are no mossies around!!

Then she has my utmost sympathy....me too :scared: ....and you know what? There's always some B*****d who will tell you you have to be here (one more) year more than you have been and you'll be OK. Utter, utter drivel. Last year I couldn't even go out at midday to paint the house without Deet...I'm told just evening and early mornings but not for me grr..... wouldn't mind (so much) if it stopped raining :D

Purley Jun 8th 2005 10:46 am

After all this bloody rain, I am getting to the point where I would prefer mosquitos!!!

Can't go outside to garden, walk - do anything in fact. I was tempted to wear my farmer type English wellies to Walmart but instead I wore my sandals and got wet feet!

Actually, I think there is some truth to the fact that you get immune to mosquitos. When I first came here I used to get great big things like boils on my legs when I got bitten. Now I seem to have gotten used to them. The bites still itch but they don't swell up like that any more.