British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   It's cold! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/its-cold-340405/)

offwego Nov 30th 2005 9:27 pm

It's cold!

-17C this morning! Weve been spoilt by the Chinooks in Calgary. Now for a taste of the real cold weather. Not looking forward to -40.

My dogs paws are freezing, they will probably have to wear little booties. I haven't seen any other dogs wearing them though. They keep stopping and lifting their paws, 'paw' things.

Posidrive Nov 30th 2005 10:20 pm

Re: It's cold!

Originally Posted by offwego
-17C this morning! Weve been spoilt by the Chinooks in Calgary. Now for a taste of the real cold weather. Not looking forward to -40.

My dogs paws are freezing, they will probably have to wear little booties. I haven't seen any other dogs wearing them though. They keep stopping and lifting their paws, 'paw' things.

I took mine out for a walk this morning. The moment they had "done what they had to do" I was dragged straight back indoors

Purley Nov 30th 2005 10:25 pm

I am "lucky". We had one day the other week where it was 29 below. After that my dogs think that minus 12 is warm!

If you ever find booties that will stay on - let me know. I have tried putting booties on my shih-tzus when it gets to 35 below, but they never stay on. I had slip on things with a velcro band around but they were never tight enough to keep the booties from flying off all over the garden.

Mind you, my Golden used to go and retrieve them for me!!

willmore Dec 1st 2005 12:16 am

Frigging cold in paradise. -2, -3 the past few days and snow predicted! :scared:

scrubbedexpat074 Dec 1st 2005 12:40 am

Originally Posted by willmore
Frigging cold in paradise. -2, -3 the past few days and snow predicted! :scared:

Phhhffff, 10 degrees here at 9:30pm in balmy Halifax.

Tiaribbon Dec 1st 2005 1:20 am

Not very cold here in Ontario. The current temperature at 9:20pm is 2 degrees Celsius.

R2D2 Dec 1st 2005 1:32 am

Whats going on.....................Its up and down like a yo yo . We are expecting -20 overnight tonight, yet last week (I think........lost track of days) we were enjoying plus 20. Hey.....I guess thats Canada for ya !!!

dbd33 Dec 1st 2005 12:47 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by offwego

Ice in the paws is a bother, salt is worse. By the time we've walked back from the pub our dog typically looks like the picture.

We rub vaseline on the paws before going out, it helps but means streaks of vaseline all over the house. We also stick the paws in a bucket of warm water when we come in. Dogs in winter are troublesome but it's nothing compared to the mud season.

hot wasabi peas Dec 1st 2005 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
By the time we've walked back from the pub our dog typically looks like the picture.

LOL! :D

You have to wonder if dogs feel any sort of embarrassment. :D

dbd33 Dec 1st 2005 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
LOL! :D

You have to wonder if dogs feel any sort of embarrassment. :D

That dog minces, sashays, add the snow bobbles and walking him around here (Boystown) gets me into some interesting conversations.

offwego Dec 1st 2005 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ice in the paws is a bother, salt is worse. By the time we've walked back from the pub our dog typically looks like the picture.

We rub vaseline on the paws before going out, it helps but means streaks of vaseline all over the house. We also stick the paws in a bucket of warm water when we come in. Dogs in winter are troublesome but it's nothing compared to the mud season.

V Cute dog!
Will try the warm water bucket when returning home, thanks

Cowtown Dec 1st 2005 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by R2D2
Whats going on.....................Its up and down like a yo yo . We are expecting -20 overnight tonight, yet last week (I think........lost track of days) we were enjoying plus 20. Hey.....I guess thats Canada for ya !!!

Nope, that's Alberta for you ... get used to it ... although as you're already losing track of days & temperatures, it sounds like you've settled in :)

Just wait until you get the minus to plus swing in the same day ... go out dressed for winter and by lunchtime you're in shirtsleeves :cool:

willmore Dec 1st 2005 3:24 pm

-2 in paradise and snow is predicted for today and the rest of the week!

What the heck is going on? :scared:

Souvenir Dec 1st 2005 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Nope, that's Alberta for you ... get used to it ... although as you're already losing track of days & temperatures, it sounds like you've settled in :)

Just wait until you get the minus to plus swing in the same day ... go out dressed for winter and by lunchtime you're in shirtsleeves :cool:

We had that in reverse last Winter. A flash freeze. It went from close to plus 10 to about minus 7 in about an hour. You could feel the temperature dropping.

willmore Dec 1st 2005 9:08 pm

it's Snowing In Paradise! Woo Hoo!