Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's actually happening argh!

It's actually happening argh!

Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's actually happening argh!

Originally Posted by Howefamily
You could take animals as carry on for GBP100 one way in 2011 on Air Canada if you too were on the flight.
We got all the paperwork done at the vets, plus his needles for rabies etc. Measured cat (not that easy) for size, ordered vari-kennel off of ebay. Took cat with paperwork in said kennel to LHR on the day and a nice man took him at checkin.
Air Canada laid out all the rules of cat as excess baggage on their website and they were actually great.
He met us at the other end. It was incredibly easy.

I had a look at Air Canada and the flights were like £1,500 each when with West Jet they are £400. I've requested some quotes from people to move moggies to compare which is cheaper. On Air Canada you can have them in the cabin with you! I bet that would make for some very unhappy passengers he he !
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We rented for a couple of months when we moved down to Yarmouth. Our realtor found somewhere for us. Might be worth asking yours if you have found one already.
With the tenancy act you can either sign an annual or month to month lease. But most landlords would want a one year commitment.
Where are you going to be living? As you're coming in off season what are the chances of renting a vacation rental?
Might also be worth asking airbnb owners if they would consider a longer rental.

I've booked an airbnb in Dartmouth for 2 months to give us a little bit of time to get things sorted and figure things out. I did message the airbnb owner to see about an extended rental but not heard back yet. Are you still in Yarmouth?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
I've booked an airbnb in Dartmouth for 2 months to give us a little bit of time to get things sorted and figure things out. I did message the airbnb owner to see about an extended rental but not heard back yet. Are you still in Yarmouth?
If they don't say yes you can always try another owner.
No we moved to Ontario three years ago. Three of the kids have left home so no coming back now!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look at Air Canada and the flights were like £1,500 each when with West Jet they are £400. I've requested some quotes from people to move moggies to compare which is cheaper. On Air Canada you can have them in the cabin with you! I bet that would make for some very unhappy passengers he he !
Westjet wasnt an option when we moved as they didnt have that route. Do they fly on that date too? I wasnt sure if they were seasonal, but if they do, then excellent price.
Yeah, can you imagine a cat in the cabin using a litter tray. Marvellous....
Febreeze will be your friend.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I believe a cat in the cabin has to be in a carrier, and not let out, litter tray, food and water have to be in the carrier .............

although I've been on a plane where a little girl took her rabbit out of its cage, crouched down on the floor and played with it .............. none of the cabin crew could see what she was doing.

Your only problem could be if a passenger declares they are allergic. The cat is not then allowed in the cabin.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

I exchanged when the rate was very low, I have to admit I'm still not over it.

But Novocastrian is basically right haha
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sian22040 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wer in the same position and don't know how to feel. Our flights are booked and moving to NS on the 31st. I'm so excited but also really sad as I will miss family and friends and know how much they will miss us and our children. Also very stressed have the shipping company coming Monday and we haven't sorted anything so that's the plan this weekend. We sorted a place to rent that luckily will accept our dogs and the landlord is amazing offered to do what he could to help.
There is just so many emotions right now it's hard to know what I feel so I know exactly where you r coming from but I am looking forward to this new adventure
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:33 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
To transfer large sums use Transferwise https://transferwise.com when you have a Canadian Bank account.
Note that Transferwise will maintain an exchange rate for 24hrs during which you have the option to cancel the trade so if the exchange rate changes in your favour you can cancel and generate a new trade. Won't give you big bucks but does get rid of that.. 'if only I'd waited a few hours' feeling.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved out (in 2013) I had booked a holiday rental for us for a month (at a discounted rate - airbnb didn't really exist then!), and a hire car for a week. That gave us a week to buy a vehicle and a month to find somewhere more permanent to rent. Reading that now it sounds a little insane but it all worked out and we found a great vehicle and a great place to rent. It's amazing what you can pull together when there isn't any other choice! It's much easier to look for a long term rental when you're here.

And if it makes you feel any better the exchange rate was even worse when we moved out :-( (I try not to think about it!) There comes a point when it just needs to get done, whatever the rate is....
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

God what a weekend! We've been frantically decorating and clearing out crap so we can get the house on the market. It's just so crazy, I can't believe life is going on as normal around us. Does nobody realise that we're actually moving to Canada!!!

Had a look at moving money over, though at this rate we won't have any as our savings are being hit pretty hard. I'm hoping we won't have to take a hit on the house but property prices in our area are not exactly on the up.

Also need to figure out what we're taking with us and how big a container we need. It's so expensive and is it worth it? Did you take everything or, get rid/sold everything and made do when you arrived? Any suggestions on a decently priced mover? We were going to use the hauliers at work but they're now saying they won't move personal items so I'm getting quotes.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

God what a weekend! We've been frantically decorating and clearing out crap so we can get the house on the market. It's just so crazy, I can't believe life is going on as normal around us. Does nobody realise that we're actually moving to Canada!!!

Had a look at moving money over, though at this rate we won't have any as our savings are being hit pretty hard. I'm hoping we won't have to take a hit on the house but property prices in our area are not exactly on the up.

Also need to figure out what we're taking with us and how big a container we need. It's so expensive and is it worth it? Did you take everything or, get rid/sold everything and made do when you arrived? Any suggestions on a decently priced mover? We were going to use the hauliers at work but they're now saying they won't move personal items so I'm getting quotes.
See if Ewepack is still around. We packed ours ourselves s and saved about £2,000.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it's worth it... we had a 20ft container for a 2 bedroom house, 2 people with quite a bit of stuff :-)
Furniture can be pricey over here (although there is an Ikea in Dartmouth now!) and not of a quality that's worth the money - I think anyway. Also it was a relief given everything else we were trying to find (rental house, car etc.) that we didn't have to rush around buying furniture as well. I was so excited when our container arrived and it was like the comforts and familiarity of home in Scotland were now in Canada!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
I would say it's worth it... ...Furniture can be pricey over here (although there is an Ikea in Dartmouth now!) and not of a quality that's worth the money - I think anyway.
That seems to be a fairly common opinion on BE.

I wonder if it depends on what you're used to. I found the stuff I bought from Leons (the Brick was similarly priced) to be of the same quality of stuff I had bought from DFS and Park Furnishers in the UK but significanty cheaper.

Much of this was down to the 'better' exchange rate back then but other BE people even said the same thing at the same time.

I decided that maybe those people had better quality furniture in the UK and that equivalent quality in Canada was more expensive, because my like for like was definitely cheaper here.
Also it was a relief given everything else we were trying to find (rental house, car etc.) that we didn't have to rush around buying furniture as well. I was so excited when our container arrived and it was like the comforts and familiarity of home in Scotland were now in Canada!
Yes, that can certainly help settling in.

We actually enjoyed picking out and buying new furniture for the new home but it was a bit different for me moving from a single person house UK-side to wife and two kids house with those having moved from her parents' home.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

It took me a little while to get used to Canadian styles of furniture too so I was glad we brought our stuff with us... Now there is quite a bit of Canadian stuff I like... but that's after 6 years!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask yourself if you can afford to replace everything (down to plates and cutlery) for the price of a container because thats what it really boils down to. We definately couldnt do that, not for a family or four, straight away.
We bought all new electrical - TVs, washer, dryer, fridge freezer, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker etc and that lot was $8k alone. I would have hated to then have to buy bedlines, duvets, towels etc to say nothing of furniture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.