Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Irving Shipbuilding

Irving Shipbuilding

Old Jan 16th 2018, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of
Default Irving Shipbuilding

Hi All,

Is there anyone on the Forum who left the UK to work for Irving? Really keen to chat to someone and get a feel for what it’s like.

Thanks,

Tom.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:07 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irving Shipbuilding

Irving is a large family company. I havent worked there but heard mixed comments on it. I think it depends on what dept you are in.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of

Hi, thanks for this reply!

I met face to face with a manager and someone from HR in the UK on Monday, they were great and seemed pretty open on the pros and cons.

Hoping for an invite out for the formal interview in the next couple of months. It seems a great relocation package to be honest with lots included, and we’ll definitely be taking it if offered.

Tom.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Irving is a large family company. I havent worked there but heard mixed comments on it. I think it depends on what dept you are in.
Originally Posted by Goody86
I met face to face with a manager and someone from HR in the UK on Monday, they were great and seemed pretty open on the pros and cons.
I've not heard of people complaining about them as an employer, it's more about how they "own everything" and I think there's a long standing bias based on practices long in the past.

Back in the 70s me and a friend came to visit his dad who lived in New Brunswick. There was a smelly mill and polluted rivers and tales of anyone complaining about it losing their job because their employer was owned by Irving.

My friend's dad made it a point of never buying Irving gas and if he was in the position of being out of gas with the only option being Irving, he was ready to buy 50c worth to get him to another option.

Environmentally, the company has won awards so one assumes there's been an improvement with the younger family members in the decades since.

They seem very generous regarding donations and scholarships, stuff like that.

But you do hear the odd anti-Irving comment on social media or comments section on news reports.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Irv...ws-E639247.htm

https://www.unifor.org/en/search-cro...ing%20Shipyard / https://www.unifor.org/en/whats-new/...ote-998-strike

https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Irving-Shipbuilding/reviews

https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Irving-Shi...ng-Inc/reviews

Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

which division are you looking at?

Like Bristol, I've also met a number of Maritimers who will not buy Irving oil unless they absolutely cannot get to another gas station.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 8:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Like Bristol, I've also met a number of Maritimers who will not buy Irving oil unless they absolutely cannot get to another gas station.
This just reminded me...none of the family drives so we get a taxi back from shopping.

Sobeys does a coupon for reduced gas depending on how mush you spend in store. It's of no use to us and I offer it to the taxi driver.

Quite a few have said "no thanks, it's Irving" and I was never sure if that was because they didn't want to get Irving gas or if the taxi company had some alternative arrangement for them.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies!

The job is in Shipbuilding, an Engineering Office job.

I initially posted this back in Jan, so have moved on a little, and spoken to people who work there (before it was the UK based recruitment agency)

I’ve been very impressed by everyone at the company who I’ve spoken to so far. I work for a large defence contractor in the UK at the moment and the reviews on the links posted earlier are almost the same. I think in a large company you’ll always get vastly different experiences and opinions depending who you talk to.

I think I could have worded my original post better, I was hoping there would be someone here who had relocated under the current (been going about 4 years I think) recruitment drive.

I received positive feedback from the face to face I had in the UK last week, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be invited over for formal interviews and a look around sometime in the next month or so.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Repeated myself a little bit there, sorry about that!
Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Goody86
I think I could have worded my original post better, I was hoping there would be someone here who had relocated under the current (been going about 4 years I think) recruitment drive...
No, I think you were clear enough.
I just thought it was better to say a little than nothing , so I said a little

But mainly I just wanted to differentiate between the often negative attitudes about the family and what people actually think about working for them.

And if one of them is reading this, I'm happy to receive something for the good words.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This just reminded me...none of the family drives so we get a taxi back from shopping.

Sobeys does a coupon for reduced gas depending on how mush you spend in store. It's of no use to us and I offer it to the taxi driver.

Quite a few have said "no thanks, it's Irving" and I was never sure if that was because they didn't want to get Irving gas or if the taxi company had some alternative arrangement for them.
Just out of interest is that coupon for Irving Stations? The reason I ask is that Sobeys owns Fastfuel, FasGas and most of the Shell stations here. Irving also supplies most of the other stations either directly or indirectly.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Read this.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...-new-brunswick
Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Just out of interest is that coupon for Irving Stations?
Yes they were. Well, it was Irving that stood out. I never actually checked the small print. I haven't had any for a while now - there seems to be an air miles option instead.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
That was really interesting, I had no idea just how big and powerful the company is.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
That was really interesting, I had no idea just how big and powerful the company is.
Anyone planning to move to Atlantic Canada should read that and have a long hard think about it IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.