Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Investment fund in UK, best way to transfer to Canada, Alberta

Investment fund in UK, best way to transfer to Canada, Alberta

Old Sep 6th 2021, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Riscy00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investment fund in UK, best way to transfer to Canada, Alberta

I have an investment fund in the UK (non-pension) which I'm looking to transfer to Canada (AB). I'm currently employed and a resident in AB.

Which box does it go with the tax return (foreign income?) does it calculate these taxes (in a marginal rate?) as separate from income tax or combined total?

Let say it 50K GBP and 100K GBP. It would be nice for example calculation. Assume C$70K income

Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investment fund in UK, best way to transfer to Canada, Alberta

Originally Posted by Riscy00
I have an investment fund in the UK (non-pension) which I'm looking to transfer to Canada (AB). I'm currently employed and a resident in AB.

Which box does it go with the tax return (foreign income?) does it calculate these taxes (in a marginal rate?) as separate from income tax or combined total?

Let say it 50K GBP and 100K GBP. It would be nice for example calculation. Assume C$70K income
Hello and welcome to BE!

Have you been declaring the fund?, If it is valued at over $100,000 you are required to declare it or face potentially large penalties.. see: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Forei...s_and_property

More detailed info: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...orm-t1135.html
Old Sep 6th 2021, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

I have an investment fund in the UK (non-pension)
Do you mean you own units/shares in a fund? Yes, you do have to report income to CRA. Dividends are taxed as foreign income, at your marginal rate.

If you sell units in a British fund (eg to move money to Canada) then you will be paying tax for capital gains. Right now the inclusion rate is 50%. That means that if your marginal rate is 30% then you will have to pay 15% tax on your gains.

Highly likely (but not certain) that the inclusion rate will go up within a year. If so, it makes sense to realize capital gains now rather than later.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Riscy00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Siouxie

Thank you for the reply, yes it was declared when I first moved to Canada, I have an accountant at work to handle my tax returns in Canada (which I have PR since Fed21). I'm doing homework to plan ahead for retirement including pension and non-pension funds outside Canada.

There is no dividend from investment, so I'm not too concerned.

Thank Mordko, that now makes sense, so with saying C$50K gain, it not $25K (50%) goes to income tax, it 50% of the marginal rate of the $50K gain as explained below.

BTW: What else they may tax more apart from CGT to recover from the COVID dept? is there a list of high risks of changes?

Old Sep 6th 2021, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

If the value is over $100k then you have to report it every year.

Unless its something like gold or a very specialized investment, there will be ongoing taxable income. Sometimes dividends are used to automatically buy more units so you don’t see them paid out as cash but you still have to pay tax.

If you have an accountant, he’d be a good person to talk to; better than a chatroom.

They will increase taxes on “the wealthy” but those don’t tend to bring any income into the budget. Eventually they will increase taxes on sales, on houses, on jobs and on corporations. Your guess is as good as mine.