Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
So we have been here just over a week now, so far so good.

The apartment we are staying in is nice and we have had chance to explore a little of the area, one of the first stops was the chippy lol not much call for it in Montana so we were really happy to see a few around. Sammy's famous down in Bronte was our choice but open to ideas if anyone has a favourite around Oakville.

We have bank cards and credit cards now in possession, really good service from RBC.

The household stuff has now arrived in Canada so I have to go to the warehouse to pick up the papers to take to the customs office to release it. It will then go into storage until the house is ready in 3 weeks time. We are currently in the process of setting up the household services to start in October so a good list to do for this week.
Art's Fish & Chips, Sixth Line just south of Upper Middle. Changed hands a couple of years ago, so no longer run by the Anglo-Greek couple who'd been there for 30 years or so and could fry a mean chip, but the new management appear to have taken on the mantle adequately.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Art's Fish & Chips, Sixth Line just south of Upper Middle. Changed hands a couple of years ago, so no longer run by the Anglo-Greek couple who'd been there for 30 years or so and could fry a mean chip, but the new management appear to have taken on the mantle adequately.
Awesome thanks, i'll give it a whirl - any recommendations for groceries. We are liking metro so far any thoughts?
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome thanks, i'll give it a whirl - any recommendations for groceries. We are liking metro so far any thoughts?
Tends to be more expensive:
Metro, Fortinos, Real Canadian Superstore,

Tends to be cheaper:
Walmart Superstore, Food Basics, Freshco,

Other choices:
Starsky - over 600 cheeses - European group
Grocery Gateway - deliver
Longo's (physical store for Grocery Gateway)
NationsFreshFood (multicultural)
Costco
I would give No Frills a miss.

Old Sep 12th 2018, 4:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I think you said up-thread somewhere that you're in the Falgarwood neighbourhood. In which case the Metro at the 8th Line/Upper Middle location is one of their "flagship" stores, that was extensively remodelled a couple of years ago. It's my go-to for popping in on the way home from work, I really like their deli counter in particular. Other options in the general vicinity are all up around Dundas/Trafalgar, where you've got (in descending order of poshness) Longo's, Superstore (Loblaw) and Walmart. Longo's is great for fresh produce, and has a pretty good wet fish and butchery selection, but their dry goods tend to be a little more expensive. Superstore is a good all-rounder (it's where we usually schlep for the weekly shop). Walmart is, well, Walmart.

A little further afield there's a still-quite-new Fortinos along Dundas at Neyagawa. Expensive, but an extensive range of prepared foods as well as an excellent fresh meat selection. It's a bit up itself, though, for everyday shopping. On the other side of Dundas St, at the other end of the price range, is Food Basics - a Lidl-style pile-em-high, sell-em-cheap discount grocery. Occasionally excellent bargains if that's your thing.

And of course, if Fortino's isn't exclusive enough, there's a WholeFoods Warehouse down at Trafalgar and Cornwall. I've been in there probably a handful of times in the last dozen years, and increasingly have felt the need for a shower afterwards to wash off the overwhelming stench of smugness. But each to his own...
Old Sep 14th 2018, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we have been to a few supermarkets while we’ve been here and can second Canadian Superstore as a good full week shop we seem to be able to get everything we need there and they do good weekly offers be sure to get a PC Card ( points based) you can use it at shoppers drug mart and some other retailers and gas stations. Sobeys is good for occasionally shopping but along with Fortinos (think Waitrose) works out expensive for a family of 4. We haven’t used No Frills or Freshco.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave

Hi we have been to a few supermarkets while we’ve been here and can second Canadian Superstore as a good full week shop we seem to be able to get everything we need there and they do good weekly offers be sure to get a PC Card ( points based) you can use it at shoppers drug mart and some other retailers and gas stations. Sobeys is good for occasionally shopping but along with Fortinos (think Waitrose) works out expensive for a family of 4. We haven’t used No Frills or Freshco.

Freshco and Food Basics are fine - No Frills I would avoid, personally.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Oh you elitist! It depends entirely on the shop. The one in Shelburne is clean and had an impression range of goods. The one in Mount Forest is clean but keeps mainly ethnic stuff. The one in Cabbagetown Is a bit scary. If the local one is clean and safe and sells what you want to buy then there's nothing wrong with No Frills.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 5:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh you elitist! It depends entirely on the shop. The one in Shelburne is clean and had an impression range of goods. The one in Mount Forest is clean but keeps mainly ethnic stuff. The one in Cabbagetown Is a bit scary. If the local one is clean and safe and sells what you want to buy then there's nothing wrong with No Frills.

I stand corrected... each to their own. I agree it most likely depends on the local one..

I was going on my local one - which is abysmal, narrow isles crammed with boxes of junk food or dented cans, broken packets etc., that you struggle to get past, a limited range of vegetables that are barely edible - and really low quality prepackaged / frozen food items. Not much there that I would even consider buying.

Old Sep 16th 2018, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Tends to be more expensive:
Metro, Fortinos, Real Canadian Superstore,

Tends to be cheaper:
Walmart Superstore, Food Basics, Freshco,

Other choices:
Starsky - over 600 cheeses - European group
Grocery Gateway - deliver
Longo's (physical store for Grocery Gateway)
NationsFreshFood (multicultural)
Costco

Thats a great list thank you, we are currently on upper middle line next to Sobeys, metro is becoming our favourite for now. We will explore the others once we are in the new house and look to streamline and economise.

D
Old Sep 16th 2018, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

I think you said up-thread somewhere that you're in the Falgarwood neighbourhood. In which case the Metro at the 8th Line/Upper Middle location is one of their "flagship" stores, that was extensively remodelled a couple of years ago. It's my go-to for popping in on the way home from work, I really like their deli counter in particular. Other options in the general vicinity are all up around Dundas/Trafalgar, where you've got (in descending order of poshness) Longo's, Superstore (Loblaw) and Walmart. Longo's is great for fresh produce, and has a pretty good wet fish and butchery selection, but their dry goods tend to be a little more expensive. Superstore is a good all-rounder (it's where we usually schlep for the weekly shop). Walmart is, well, Walmart.

A little further afield there's a still-quite-new Fortinos along Dundas at Neyagawa. Expensive, but an extensive range of prepared foods as well as an excellent fresh meat selection. It's a bit up itself, though, for everyday shopping. On the other side of Dundas St, at the other end of the price range, is Food Basics - a Lidl-style pile-em-high, sell-em-cheap discount grocery. Occasionally excellent bargains if that's your thing.

And of course, if Fortino's isn't exclusive enough, there's a WholeFoods Warehouse down at Trafalgar and Cornwall. I've been in there probably a handful of times in the last dozen years, and increasingly have felt the need for a shower afterwards to wash off the overwhelming stench of smugness. But each to his own...
Great info on shops that, we will explore, really like the Metro on upper middle nice place to shop.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Just a bit of an update for now - We move into the new house in two weeks so have been setting up the services for that.

We have also been to clear our goods at the customs office, all household good fine but yet again the car is an issue, this is becoming frustrating. We have now found out that there was a mistake on one of the title forms that was issued to us so the car can not be released. We have now got to try and fine a way to get a certificate of origin o the correction can be made. This is very difficult as we purchased the car through International auto source and a third party. Yet another huddle to get through on this one.

We continue to explore the area and have been to the following areas or events in the last two weeks - downtown Oakville, Bronte harbour, Port credit harbour and snugs restaurant, Toronto air show, the British car show, sixteen mile creek trail loop, Oakville farmers market, sammys famous and art fish & chips.

Driving license and insurances this week hopefully. and counting down to our daughter coming to visit on the 11th October
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

, the British car show
In Bronte Creek park, today?

You might have said "hello"!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Lol yes at Bronte Creek Park, I was impressed really good show.
Apologies I missed you ha ha next time 😁👍
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:26 pm
Magnificently Withering

Lol yes at Bronte Creek Park, I was impressed really good show.
Apologies I missed you ha ha next time 😁👍
I missed it this year. Stinking cold meant I spent most of the day feeling sorry for myself and hiding indoors. If I'd known you'd be there with the Healey, dbd, I'd have made the effort to come out with the Morgan!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I missed it this year. Stinking cold meant I spent most of the day feeling sorry for myself and hiding indoors. If I'd known you'd be there with the Healey, dbd, I'd have made the effort to come out with the Morgan!
I walked down the Morgan row wondering if I'd see you. Good Grief the Aero is hideous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.