Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

internet service provider

internet service provider

Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:48 am
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post internet service provider

How do i get on the internet without a phone line, can i set it up before i land?
Any suggestions welcome.

Should i have kept my UK ISP on until we can get a Canadian one, does that work?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet service provider

where i am in bc, you dont need a phone line to get tinternet.

we have no phone but 17meg broadband, puts the uk speeds to shame.

oh and my btinternet email still works 9 months after we cancelled the account
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:20 am

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 4d32ftw
where i am in bc, you dont need a phone line to get tinternet.

we have no phone but 17meg broadband, puts the uk speeds to shame.

oh and my btinternet email still works 9 months after we cancelled the account
so how do u get it, which company?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
How do i get on the internet without a phone line, can i set it up before i land?
Any suggestions welcome.

Should i have kept my UK ISP on until we can get a Canadian one, does that work?
Where will you live in Canada?
Without phone line you'll need to go with Cable. If you own the property already, you can try and order the services online and have it all set up before you land, provided they don't need to come into the house to do the installation.

There are 3 ways you can get internet, Cable, ADSL or Wireless.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Look at Shaw.ca
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
There are 3 ways you can get internet, Cable, ADSL or Wireless.
Assuming "wireless" means a stick modem thingy, there's also satellite and microwave. The best option depends on how urban the location is.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Assuming "wireless" means a stick modem thingy, there's also satellite and microwave. The best option depends on how urban the location is.
we are going to be living on a campground at first. So i am assuming reception for portable wireless will be poor in between belleville, Peterborough and Oshawa, what u think?

I looked at the stick thing and they have 12 month tie ins,(Rogers), it would be ideal to start of with, but not long term.

Last edited by jimbloby7; Jun 9th 2009 at 1:52 pm. Reason: forgot
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
we are going to be living on a campground at first. So i am assuming reception for portable wireless will be poor in between belleville, Peterborough and Oshawa, what u think?

I looked at the stick thing and they have 12 month tie ins,(Rogers), it would be ideal to start of with, but not long term.
Probably fine. But coverage in that area does have some not spots. (Thats also about 3000 square miles, so not very specific!)

I personally live in a "not spot", between two drumlins NW of Belleville, but 15 yards either way of my property and I get a good cell signal and the rogers wireless dongle thing would work OK....even in my kitchen with a booster it gets a 50 times better than dial up 560kbs...not "broadband" per se, but useable. Thats $40 a month or so. I didnt sign up though as that seems to be the only room in my house I get a usable signal.

If you dont get a signal, services like xplorenet use other technologies, but its more expensive and needs permanent hardpoint installation.

If you have a cell phone, check your signal strength, and if its OK then rogers, telus etc have USB plug ins that should work up to a point, and can be bought there and then.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 9th 2009 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

I know that with Bell in Ontario you can get Sympatico without having a phone. There does however have to be a phone line to the property.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Iaink--can I be cheeky and ask what part of Quinte you are in as that is where I am moving back too, and I only could get dial up when I left 10 yrs ago. My husband is adiment we are not having dial up, and as we will be in that "not spot" area, would be interested in what you use?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Iaink--can I be cheeky and ask what part of Quinte you are in as that is where I am moving back too, and I only could get dial up when I left 10 yrs ago. My husband is adiment we are not having dial up, and as we will be in that "not spot" area, would be interested in what you use?
I use the connection at work

My not spot is very specific to just my property.. We are too far out to get digital cable or highspeed (phone) internet, so the wirelss USB dongle is the best bet, and failing that the more expensive microwave line of sight or satelite technologies...which so far we have resisted.

Dial up is just not worth the hassle.

FWIW we are near the Trent out near Stirling, but as I said, neighbours have no problem getting a wireless signal, its just our specific location. Down on the county and nearer Belleville for example there are people like KOS providing competing wireless services too... and cable or phone based high speed is an option too. High speed in canada I suspect is not as fast as the UK anyway...there was something on the BBC recently that was comparing differnet nations...Japan is the place to be

Last edited by iaink; Jun 9th 2009 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I am from the Stirling area :-)

I have used KOS for dial up, and sympatico but they are awful.
we want satellite, as we are out in country and no way we can get broadband.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I am from the Stirling area :-)

I have used KOS for dial up, and sympatico but they are awful.
we want satellite, as we are out in country and no way we can get broadband.
Yes there is... if you can get a half decent cell signal at home then you can get way better than dial up for about $40 a month. In Stirling itself I get 5 bars on my phone...at home I get one...if Im lucky!

Satellite is a last resort...it relies on the phone for control and uploading, and tends to be expensive too.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 9th 2009 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

we want satellite,
I doubt that you do. Either go with microwave or a wireless modem from Bell or Rogers.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

microwave? never heard of such a thing

what is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.