British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   International moving companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/international-moving-companies-827531/)

Going Home 2014 Mar 4th 2014 9:45 pm

International moving companies

Hi,
I am looking for a reliable international moving company to help move my home from London, UK to Toronto Canada.
Any suggestions/feedback/experience with movers would be greatly welcomed. Many thanks!

Siouxie Mar 4th 2014 10:59 pm

Re: International moving companies

Originally Posted by Going Home 2014 (Post 11158652)
Hi,
I am looking for a reliable international moving company to help move my home from London, UK to Toronto Canada.
Any suggestions/feedback/experience with movers would be greatly welcomed. Many thanks!

There are literally dozens of threads on this subject, if you do a search you will find many that are recommended and quite a few that are not.

:)

bcmama Mar 4th 2014 10:59 pm

For every positive post you find on reliable movers you'll find a negative review of the same company! My advice would be select a handful that are FIDI/OMNI registered and call around for quotes. Then prepare to haggle. We ended up using GB Liners last year and there were great, Fox International came a close second.

Mo Cassidy Mar 8th 2014 3:14 am

Avoid John Masons of Liverpool UK they smashed a lot of our things.

Going Home 2014 Mar 8th 2014 8:07 am

Ok folks, so I've decided to go with Relouk international movers. I'll post something after I've rec'd my goods on the other side to let you all know how the move went. Fingers crossed!

aldavidson Mar 8th 2014 3:03 pm

Michael Gerson Ltd moved our stuff from West London to Ottawa and were superb. I think they are located in NW london. Good luck!

Siouxie Mar 8th 2014 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Going Home 2014 (Post 11163776)
Ok folks, so I've decided to go with Relouk international movers. I'll post something after I've rec'd my goods on the other side to let you all know how the move went. Fingers crossed!

According to their FB page, they are members of the International Association of Movers and the Canadian Movers Association. However, they don't display either logo on their website and neither of the Associations show that Relouk (The Moving Company) are members.

I would suggest you ask them for proof of membership.

Miss Clinique Mar 9th 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11164181)
According to their FB page, they are members of the International Association of Movers and the Canadian Movers Association. However, they don't display either logo on their website and neither of the Associations show that Relouk (The Moving Company) are members.

I would suggest you ask them for proof of membership.

+1

Also ask them who is recieving your goods in Canada, without FIDI membership a lot of companys will insist that Relouk pay them up front before they deliver your goods.

I would ask a lot more questions before giving them any money.

Going Home 2014 Mar 15th 2014 12:22 am

Thank you for all the feedback/advice folks!

wgh01 Aug 5th 2014 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Going Home 2014 (Post 11163776)

Hi,

I'm looking at removal companies and have a competitive quote from Relouk. How did you get on with them, any major problems or was it a smooth process? Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Going Home 2014 Aug 5th 2014 6:42 pm

Hi there,

Relouk were good. You just need to make sure they come in to see your goods first before giving you a quote in order to give you the most accurate quote. I made a mistake by giving them a list of what I needed shipped over the phone and getting a quote. When the actual move happened, the container space quoted was double of what I had initially gotten a quote for. I didn't know I had the option of asking them to come out and see what I was shipping.

Are you moving to Canada? There are other legalities you need to know on how to clear customs when you get into Canada. I won't get into the details unless you are moving to Canada and need that information. Let me know.

Siouxie Aug 5th 2014 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Going Home 2014 (Post 11359490)
Hi there,

Relouk were good. You just need to make sure they come in to see your goods first before giving you a quote in order to give you the most accurate quote. I made a mistake by giving them a list of what I needed shipped over the phone and getting a quote. When the actual move happened, the container space quoted was double of what I had initially gotten a quote for. I didn't know I had the option of asking them to come out and see what I was shipping.

Are you moving to Canada? There are other legalities you need to know on how to clear customs when you get into Canada. I won't get into the details unless you are moving to Canada and need that information. Let me know.

So they estimated half the amount you actually had and then charged you double? That isn't too good!

I would recommend to anyone that they get a minimum of three on-site quotations (not estimates over the phone) from reputable companies and then use due diligence to look for reviews before making a decision.

As to the customs requirements, the poster could just read the wiki articles on moving.

:)

Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

wgh01 Aug 6th 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for the info, nice to hear that your goods arrived safely!

I'm moving to New Zealand so don't need the Canada tips, but thanks for the offer.

helcat12 Aug 7th 2014 6:08 pm

Heartily recommend White and Co. They were great - efficient, organised, on time, not a thing missing or broken.
Insure with someone else, though, as insurance is often MUCH cheaper elsewhere.
We chose Letton Percival (I think that was it!)