Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

International credit report??

International credit report??

Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future
Default International credit report??

Hi Guys

Can anybody tell me if a mortgage broker is able to do one of these? I didn't think it was possible now that we are living in Canada. We didn't bring anything like that over with us as we were told that our UK credit history didn't mean anything here. Are we always going to have to provide a UK credit report even if we have lived here for years and built up a good canadian history???

thanks

Pete
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: International credit report??

Can't help you with the mortgage broker bit, but the only 'history' we have been asked for was for our current mortage.

I had a reference letter from our old UK mortage/bank and a stack of bank statements to show - that was it, the didn't ask for anything else.

If you do desperately need a credit report, I have heard somewhere that Experian is accepted in Canada - not sure if you can get one from them if you are already outside the UK.

Sorry - may not really have been much help to you

Good luck anyway!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

how long have you been in Canada? our mortgage broker will accept Uk credit history when you arrive and dont have a job.. we have a contact at Invis Carol White that might be able to give you some info?
JS
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

We've been in Canada over 2 years...

P
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:51 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pete66
We've been in Canada over 2 years...

P
If you have been here for 2 years then you should have a Canadian credit rating. This is assuming you have a credit card which has been used. We had no Uk credit report when we came. Just got a credit card through the bank and then used it and paid it off. Within the two years we were able to get a different credit card not associated with the bank and now have no problems at all.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi, I have checked with the morgage broker that we use and have been advised that Equifax is the most popular credit check in Canada with the lenders.
Basically you have no Canadian credit history when you first arrive in Canada, but can soon build your credit rating back up. When you first arrive in Canada, your mortgage provider will want to see your credit history, so having your UK credit report is vital (this is also the case for car loans etc, they will want to see your credit report).
I am lead to believe that you can still get hold of your credit report when you have left the UK, but it is more difficuly to do so. It would be worth contacting Equifax directly and asking their advise on obtaining your credit history.
Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:04 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallace
Hi, I have checked with the morgage broker that we use and have been advised that Equifax is the most popular credit check in Canada with the lenders.
Basically you have no Canadian credit history when you first arrive in Canada, but can soon build your credit rating back up. When you first arrive in Canada, your mortgage provider will want to see your credit history, so having your UK credit report is vital (this is also the case for car loans etc, they will want to see your credit report).
I am lead to believe that you can still get hold of your credit report when you have left the UK, but it is more difficuly to do so. It would be worth contacting Equifax directly and asking their advise on obtaining your credit history.
Hope this helps, Eddie.
That might be over-stating things somewhat. My bank (RBC) didn't request a credit report, nor did any other finance companies when I took out leases/loans for business and personal purchases.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We ordered our credit report online from Equifax at...
http://www.equifax.co.uk/

Only problems I can forsee are:
a) You may no longer have a UK credit or debit card to pay with (we kept a number of ours and it has proved useful...many others on BE have done likewise) and
b) Not sure whether you would put down your last UK address as your current address or whether the web-form allows you to enter a Canadian address.

It has proved useful to have it to hand.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Well something has gone wrong with our credit record here.

We had a credit check done...despite having monthly car payments, a secured credit card and a store card....it came back that we have NO canadian credit history!

So I don't understand....Is it just "regular" visa cards that count

Pete
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:02 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pete66
Well something has gone wrong with our credit record here.

We had a credit check done...despite having monthly car payments, a secured credit card and a store card....it came back that we have NO canadian credit history!

So I don't understand....Is it just "regular" visa cards that count

Pete

I agree you should be on the system. I did a credit check for a friend who has lived here for 2 years and are on with just the car payment.