Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interesting Website

Interesting Website

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Interesting Website

Hello everyone!

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, however a friend of mine told me about a very good website which allows you to compare different nations in terms of crime, wealth, taxation etc. It's called Nationmaster.
In terms of wealth, Luxemburg came top, UK 12th and Canada 19th.
Assaults, UK did poorly coming 8th, however Canada was 9th which surprised me a bit. South Africa was worst.
Regarding education, Britain was 4th and Canada 18th. Norway came top.
The most heavily taxed country is Belgium, Canada, US and UK are similarly taxed (as I suspected), coming 20th, 21st and 22nd respectively.
Alarmingly as far as rapes are concerned, the UK comes well behind Canada in 13th. Canada is 5th! Canada is also slightly more 'murderous' coming 44th compared to the UK in 46th.
Very Interesting I'm sure you agree
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting Website

Originally Posted by seacreature
Hello everyone!

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, however a friend of mine told me about a very good website which allows you to compare different nations in terms of crime, wealth, taxation etc. It's called Nationmaster.
Assaults, UK did poorly coming 8th, however Canada was 9th which surprised me a bit. South Africa was worst.
The most heavily taxed country is Belgium, Canada, US and UK are similarly taxed (as I suspected), coming 20th, 21st and 22nd respectively.
Alarmingly as far as rapes are concerned, the UK comes well behind Canada in 13th. Canada is 5th! Canada is also slightly more 'murderous' coming 44th compared to the UK in 46th.
Thanks for the tip. It looks like useful info. I've book-marked the site.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Hello everyone!

A quick trawl through Stacan.ca and Crimestatistics.org.uk paints a different picture:

(2004 Figures are per 100,000 popn making comparison easy)

Murder: Canada 2.0, England and Wales 1.6 - It's nearer 1.9 if Scotland is included, sadly this "scottish effect" applies to most of the categories

Sexual Assault: Can 82, E&W 97
Assault (Non sexual): Can 733, E&W 1816
Robbery: Can 86, E&W 200
Auto and general theft: Can 2700, E&W 4300
Burglary: Can 860, E&W 1540
Fraud: Can 304, E&W 1560

And some Canada vs UK stats:

GDP per head (USD): Can 32800, UK 30900
Unemployment: Can 6.8%, UK 4.7%
Infant mortality (per 1000 births): Can 4.75, UK 5.16
% living below poverty line: Can 15.9%, UK 17%

Number of obnoxious, litter-dropping, scrounging, anti-social chav types:
Can Not Many, UK Quite a Lot

Comaparing the crime rates between similar cities in the UK and Canada is very interesting. e.g. Calgary is a city approaching a pop'n of 1 million people and while there is crime it is on a much lower scale than say Greater Manchester or the Leeds or Birmingham met areas.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

http://www.cia.gov

Puts a different picture also.

Plus if you actually take the time to break down the original site mentioned as regards to divisional breaks within the lists you will see that not all is as -you might want the UK to look like - with rose coloures specs as you are heading back.

Nationamaster I am told is one of the worst to look at in terms of reliability and making sense.

OECD.org is probably less biased but just as out of date.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Suddenly as the UK runs out of dosh New labour find a couple of million people out of work who should be in work. There words not mine.

So come on New Labour. Is it really 5% as quoted now or is it more like 10%. Must be that 10% looks to heavy perhaps.

Lets ask Germany's opinion shall we........
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:08 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!

link to web-site http://www.nationmaster.com/ might have been interesting here.

"Wealth" was defined as "the value of all final goods and services produced within a nation in a given year", and "per capita figures expressed as per 1 population". What does Luxembourg produce?... Lager?

The figures given refer to the "school life expectancy and transition from primary to secondary for school years 1998/99 and 1999/2000 (UNESCO), and bear no necessary relationship to the standard of education.

I'm sorry Canada didn't work out for you, but you seem determined to knock it at every opportunity .....

Why not quote other figures on the web-site where Canada "scored" higher eh?

eg longer life-expectancy, less militaristic, less populous, generosity, equally corrupt government , life-satisfaction, proud of their nationality,lower total crimes per capita, less assaults, car thefts and burglaries per capita, ...... it's easy to cherry-pick to prove a point!

As I've said before, it's fine to give your experiences be they positive or negative, but your views are becoming somewhat jaundiced at best. Just be fair, or give it a rest, please.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Suddenly as the UK runs out of dosh New labour find a couple of million people out of work who should be in work. There words not mine.

So come on New Labour. Is it really 5% as quoted now or is it more like 10%. Must be that 10% looks to heavy perhaps.

Lets ask Germany's opinion shall we........
Yes, those figures are for 2004.

If you look at the trends then the two should converge soon (if they haven't already done so) especially as the UK heads deeper into recession.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:44 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Look up until June 2005 is all that is on the UK Government site

And it says
26 January 2006 03/06
Main points
• The risk of being a victim of crime, at 23 per cent, is the lowest
level recorded by the BCS since the survey began in 1981.
• The number of crimes recorded by the police fell by one per cent
in July to September 2005 compared with the same period a
year earlier. Trouble is that not all crimes are recorded are they,

Check here

The bit at the bottom of the lastest bulletin is interesting

--------------------------------------

The BCS shows the level of perceived anti-social behaviour has
increased slightly compared with the previous year. The levels of
worry about violent crime and burglary have also increased,
while worry about car crime has remained stable.

• Levels of confidence in three aspects of the criminal justice
system (CJS) have improved compared with the previous year.

• The proportion of people confident in their local police increased
from 48 per cent to 49 per cent compared with the previous year.

---------------------------------------------

Perhaps Bush has the right answer get the young people of the street and get them to appreciate what home is really about. Wonder when the draft will start. Much see a boost in Canadian population then.

Last edited by Grah; Jan 30th 2006 at 4:48 am.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I would definately have to agree with you on crime.
I can see why murder would be worse in Canada (a lot of hunters, a lot of guns) and close proximity to the US.
As far as everything else is concerned I have no doubt that Britain is worse. Certainly theft is probably 10 times worse in Britain and has many more scummy chav type people.

Economically though I think Nationmaster is closer to the truth. I've never been convinced that Canada is as rich as it claims to be. I now live in Nova Scotia and it depresses me to discover just how many highly skilled graduates here are working in call centres and in pubs. These aren't even immigrants!
Britain 'feels' richer if that makes any sense.

A quick trawl through Stacan.ca and Crimestatistics.org.uk paints a different picture:

(2004 Figures are per 100,000 popn making comparison easy)

Murder: Canada 2.0, England and Wales 1.6 - It's nearer 1.9 if Scotland is included, sadly this "scottish effect" applies to most of the categories

Sexual Assault: Can 82, E&W 97
Assault (Non sexual): Can 733, E&W 1816
Robbery: Can 86, E&W 200
Auto and general theft: Can 2700, E&W 4300
Burglary: Can 860, E&W 1540
Fraud: Can 304, E&W 1560

And some Canada vs UK stats:

GDP per head (USD): Can 32800, UK 30900
Infant mortality (per 1000 births): Can 4.75, UK 5.16
% living below poverty line: Can 15.9%, UK 17%

Number of obnoxious, litter-dropping, scrounging, anti-social chav types:
Can Not Many, UK Quite a Lot

Comaparing the crime rates between similar cities in the UK and Canada is very interesting. e.g. Calgary is a city approaching a pop'n of 1 million people and while there is crime it is on a much lower scale than say Greater Manchester or the Leeds or Birmingham met areas.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, however I bet you're more likely to be murdered in Calgary than Leeds or Manchester.
As far as unemployment is concerned, most (95%?) of the unemployed in Britain don't want to work or are unemployable. Sadly that's a fact.
You only have to look at the thousands of chavs and druggy types stood on every street corner. You think they're actively looking for work?
In Canada I'd guess the percentage who want to work, but can't get jobs is a lot higher.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:23 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Although it's far too early to kiss and make up, i have to agree with 99% of what you have said in your last 2 posts. People will use the statistics from the site that most closely matches what they WANT to hear.

Yes, however I bet you're more likely to be murdered in Calgary than Leeds or Manchester.
As far as unemployment is concerned, most (95%?) of the unemployed in Britain don't want to work or are unemployable. Sadly that's a fact.
You only have to look at the thousands of chavs and druggy types stood on every street corner. You think they're actively looking for work?
In Canada I'd guess the percentage who want to work, but can't get jobs is a lot higher.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Although it's far too early to kiss and make up ....
Lol
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=seacreature]Yes, however I bet you're more likely to be murdered in Calgary than Leeds or Manchester.

Why?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Why?
Well he was responding to someone (CalgaryBlade) who is physically present in Calgary and not physically present in Leeds or Manchester. So odds are that if CalgaryBlade is going to get popped, Calgary as the locale, has the edge.

That's how I read it anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really sorry that your Canadian experience hasn't worked for you.

But for Gods sake get over it and go back enjoy your life in England.

If you have never been to Calgary and I understand you haven't, why would you make such an asinine statement?

I have lived in Calgary for 32 years and I have visited Manchester and Liverpool twice in the last 10 years. I will tell you I feel much safer here in Calgary day or night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.