British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Insurance... please help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/insurance-please-help-800649/)

purplepanda Jun 19th 2013 4:49 pm

Insurance... please help!

I am struggling to find travel insurance that meets my needs. Does anyone know any companies off the top of your head? I am sick of reading all the small prints and finding it's no good.

The basics:

- obviously need decent medical cover and repatriation etc.
- am hoping to go to Canada to volunteer for two months then head to the states then head back to Canada to activate my work permit. So need 14 month cover at least.
- I will be working. So must cover the work place. At one place I am helping I will be using quad bikes. This must be covered!
- I am unlikely to come back to the UK whilst my permit is valid so including trips back to the UK is not a necessity.
- A hobby of mine is climbing which I plan to do (indoor and outdoor) so whilst I am happy to pay extra if anyone knows any policies with this as standard... bonus!

I am getting so stuck primarily because I plan to work and I plan to be out in Canada for 14 months.

Argh, this is the worst part! I know whichever I choose if I have to claim they will try and wiggle out of paying.

Siouxie Jun 19th 2013 5:40 pm

Re: Insurance... please help!

I have moved your post to the main Canada forum as you will get more responses.

If you look at the IEC thread, there are lots of Insurance companies mentioned who will allow you up to 2 years cover including working. There are also many threads covering this question.

You didn't say what kind of work permit you have got, but please be aware if it is an IEC you are required to have insurance that includes repatriation.

:)

purplepanda Jun 19th 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10764994)
I have moved your post to the main Canada forum as you will get more responses.

If you look at the IEC thread, there are lots of Insurance companies mentioned who will allow you up to 2 years cover including working. There are also many threads covering this question.

Thank you.

Oh, I really can't find the insurance companies mentioned. A lot of choices disappear as soon as I say I need 14 months cover.

Aviator Jun 19th 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by purplepanda (Post 10764937)
I am struggling to find travel insurance that meets my needs. Does anyone know any companies off the top of your head? I am sick of reading all the small prints and finding it's no good.

The basics:

- obviously need decent medical cover and repatriation etc.
- am hoping to go to Canada to volunteer for two months then head to the states then head back to Canada to activate my work permit. So need 14 month cover at least.
- I will be working. So must cover the work place. At one place I am helping I will be using quad bikes. This must be covered!
- I am unlikely to come back to the UK whilst my permit is valid so including trips back to the UK is not a necessity.
- A hobby of mine is climbing which I plan to do (indoor and outdoor) so whilst I am happy to pay extra if anyone knows any policies with this as standard... bonus!

I am getting so stuck primarily because I plan to work and I plan to be out in Canada for 14 months.

Argh, this is the worst part! I know whichever I choose if I have to claim they will try and wiggle out of paying.

Always read the terms and conditions. Talk to an insurance broker to try and get what you want. Most insurers will customise a policy for you, for a price. Cheap insurance is not always good insurance.

You may not be able to volunteer on a visitor permit. If you have an IEC, you would be ok if this is activated.

purplepanda Jun 19th 2013 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10765040)
Always read the terms and conditions. Talk to an insurance broker to try and get what you want. Most insurers will customise a policy for you, for a price. Cheap insurance is not always good insurance.

You may not be able to volunteer on a visitor permit. If you have an IEC, you would be ok if this is activated.

That's the thing I keep reading the T&Cs and finding out that there is one of those things are missing.

I don't care about cheap (well, obviously I have a budget) I just want something whereby I am covered incase I crash a quad bike into a tree or fall off a climbing wall or injure myself working.

And I have researched volunteering on a tourist visa- I can do mine legally for up to four weeks :)

Aviator Jun 19th 2013 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by purplepanda (Post 10765094)
That's the thing I keep reading the T&Cs and finding out that there is one of those things are missing.

Talk to an insurance broker, they can tell you if you are likely to get the coverage you want. You may not get the coverage you want and have to either change plange or take a chance.

Siouxie Jun 19th 2013 7:16 pm

Look at this website as it details the length you can be insured for.

http://www.money.co.uk/travel-insura...-insurance.htm

Here is one that others have used: http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/travel-...insurance.html - trips up to 18 months allowed.

You need to search for 'Backpacker' or 'Gap Year' insurance to be covered for work, generally.

:)

Edited to say, according to their list of sports if you select pack 2 quad biking is included in the cover :)

RyanD Jun 20th 2013 11:54 am

Also check out the insurers in this list - http://www.globespots.com/travelinsurance_uk.php
I know for sure globelink covers up to 18 months of travel