Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

insurance for parents

insurance for parents

Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default insurance for parents

hi all,
my elderly parents are coming over to ca. to visit but are having probs with insurance cover ,one in 60s other 79 .
i can recall this brought up before but never paid attention to results.
sooo.. can anybody help with companys .
james
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: insurance for parents

Originally Posted by jamesmc
hi all,
my elderly parents are coming over to ca. to visit but are having probs with insurance cover ,one in 60s other 79 .
james
We didnt use them in the end but CAA had some good rates.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,
james

This guy sorted out sensibly priced coverage for my visiting parents after all others had given up:

http://www.pucherinsurance.com/
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that,will start on it tomorrow
james
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

My mother who is 80 came over in September last year and we had a really good deal from Marks and Spencer.

Their web application process was really simple to, they were about the only company who accepted her online without actually calling to speak to somone to clarify medical details.

She has osteoporosis, high blood pressure and thyroid problems and we still got a reasonable quote. Also, we had to change the dates when Zoom went bust and they didn't even charge us an admin fee, they even gave a small refund as the second set of dates came out a little cheaper.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

on talking to parents,they are a little concerned about a foreign(ie.canadian)
insurance company.so i will ask has anyone used saga or similar companies.
thanks for your patience.
james
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

on talking to parents,they are a little concerned about a foreign(ie.canadian)
insurance company.so i will ask has anyone used saga or similar companies.
thanks for your patience.
james
Er, the company would be paying a Canadian hospital, if one has trust issues with things in Canada it might be better to fret over the person in Canada with the scapel rather than the firm in Canada with the cheque book.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes i know but,my parents never been abroad before,well apart from war service.
and to them im still their little boy.lol.so all i can do is to suggest what is best.
james
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, the company would be paying a Canadian hospital, if one has trust issues with things in Canada it might be better to fret over the person in Canada with the scapel rather than the firm in Canada with the cheque book.
I think it's cheaper if you get insurance in Canada as you are only paying for health care in Canada. When you buy in the UK you have to have North American cover, for huge amounts to cover the USA.

If that makes sense.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I think it's cheaper if you get insurance in Canada as you are only paying for health care in Canada. When you buy in the UK you have to have North American cover, for huge amounts to cover the USA.

If that makes sense.
That does make sense. I think I'd ask the broker (link above) which companies he suggests (my parents had to be with different ones as some are more forgiving of specific ailments) and then see if they're companies with name recognition in the UK. Manulife, Cooperators, Prudential, Travellers, SunAlliance are some firms that write policies in Canada. Prudential and SunAlliance at least are firms the parents might know.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My mother (aged 76) used Bradford and Bingley, an annual policy with a stay of up to 8 weeks was approximately £150=170.00, I didn't think that was bad as she was travelling to the USA for an extended stay also. I think you can get a quote off their website.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sand grownun
Hi

My mother (aged 76) used Bradford and Bingley, an annual policy with a stay of up to 8 weeks was approximately £150=170.00, I didn't think that was bad as she was travelling to the USA for an extended stay also. I think you can get a quote off their website.
My dad gets his travel insurance free through his bank (Lloyds TSB) up to the age of 80, which includes my mum as well. He doesn't pay a current account monthly fee for this either, he just needs to keep a balance of £xxx in his account. Both my parents are in good health (touch wood), but my dad does have high(ish) cholesterol etc...

Just a thought, maybe you should check with who your parents bank with to see if they can get insurance through them for free?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:49 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

My F.I.L used Saga, they seem to be quite good.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I would recommend Saga, but maybe I'm a bit biased as a former employee! That said, most of my relatives over the age of 50 have used them for something or other with no problems whatsoever, including my Octagenarian grandmother who used their travel insurance.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:21 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents have just used Saga for a 3 week trip - my mother has a big list of pre-existing conditions, came out around £300 when others wanted a grand!