Insurance

Old Dec 18th 2020, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance

Has anyone travelled recently and taken out travel insurance?
As a family we will be covered under my husbands health insurance with his employer but this doesn’t take effect from 90 days after his start date so we are looking for insurance from when we travel 1st feb to about 1st July.
I checked out the one linked in the wiki (insure&go) but they don’t cover for covid 19, so I wondered if anyone had travelled recently and had a policy that covered for that.
thanks
Old Dec 19th 2020, 1:47 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance

Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
Has anyone travelled recently and taken out travel insurance?
As a family we will be covered under my husbands health insurance with his employer but this doesn’t take effect from 90 days after his start date so we are looking for insurance from when we travel 1st feb to about 1st July.
I checked out the one linked in the wiki (insure&go) but they don’t cover for covid 19, so I wondered if anyone had travelled recently and had a policy that covered for that.
thanks
Travel insurance won't really work if you are relocating to Canada, because they will want to repatriate you to your home country.
For Ontario you will qualify for Provincial Healthcare after 3 months - if you are arriving 1st Feb (and that's when your spouse's work permit will start) then you will qualify May 2nd. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card

For Covid cover, most Provinces are waving the minimum requirement.
When you enter Canada please ensure you ask for Visitor Records for your children (and yourself if you don't get a spousal open work permit issued on the day) - this will enable the children to attend school and you to get a drivers license (if you want one) and healthcare.

What you want is one way or emigrants insurance There are a few listed in our wiki - plus an explanation on how Health Insurance works in Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 19th 2020 at 1:51 am.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I was just wanting something to cover flight cancellation, lost bags, plus something that would cover us for the period before the state would insure us or his work insurance would take affect, he starts work (March 1st but I presume the work permit would start from the day we land?)
I read the wiki it’s super helpful and I looked on the po and insure and go but there insurances state they don’t cover covid 19.

definately want the kids to school, an open work permit and to get my driving license so will ensure we do that thank you.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

something that would cover us for the period before the state would insure us or his work insurance would take affect, he starts work
Canada doesn’t have states.

But there is no waiting period, IIRC you’re going to Ontario, and the usual 90 day waiting period is currently waived. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card

So you just need one of the insurances listed in the Wiki for the other stuff (as Siouxie has said, you can’t use normal travel insurance as you’re moving rather than travelling).

HTH.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 3:56 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I was just wanting something to cover flight cancellation, lost bags, plus something that would cover us for the period before the state would insure us or his work insurance would take affect, he starts work (March 1st but I presume the work permit would start from the day we land?)
I read the wiki it’s super helpful and I looked on the po and insure and go but there insurances state they don’t cover covid 19.

definately want the kids to school, an open work permit and to get my driving license so will ensure we do that thank you.
You don't need cover for Covid 19 - as previously mentioned. If you check his contract you will probably find that your husbands 'healthcare benefits' - will cover medications, glasses, dentistry and hospital beds/ambulance, rather than 'visiting a doctor' - and may not kick in unless you have Provincial healthcareor he has completed the probationary period (that is usually how these things work).. but as Christmasoompa mentions in her post, there's no wait at the moment for OHIP - please use the link(s) to determine what you will need to provide to register..

Driving -- do ensure you get a copy of your driver extract (DVLA - online) and if possible a letter from your insurer(s) showing you have not made any claim - it will help you to get a lower insurance quote.. - for the detail on what the letter must say, see the links under BC - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...surance-Canada

If you are considering buying a house in Canada in the future, do have a read over this pdf and try and bring the letters of reference / copies of bills etc., mentioned in the small print under 'alternative sources of credit' https://assets.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/sf/project/cmhc/pdfs/factsheets/cmhc-newcomers-fact-sheet.pdf?rev=ecc8fca0-1083-4baa-acb0-d898545f3dce

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Canada doesn’t have states.

But there is no waiting period, IIRC you’re going to Ontario, and the usual 90 day waiting period is currently waived. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card

So you just need one of the insurances listed in the Wiki for the other stuff (as Siouxie has said, you can’t use normal travel insurance as you’re moving rather than travelling).

HTH.
I'd forgotten that Ontario have waived the 3 month waiting period completely (not just for Covid) - thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 19th 2020 at 4:16 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank you. I just wanted to ensure I have the right cover, none of the ones on wiki seem to cover flight cancellations or accommodation due to covid, with the current restriction out in place against any uk flights I’m doubting we will fly feb 1st 😢

Old Dec 21st 2020, 6:36 am
Just Joined

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I just wanted to ensure I have the right cover, none of the ones on wiki seem to cover flight cancellations or accommodation due to covid, with the current restriction out in place against any uk flights I’m doubting we will fly feb 1st 😢
In the same boat re: flight/accommodation cancellation and other bits usually covered by travel insurance. However EU law means you are guaranteed a refund if your flight originating in the EU get cancelled. Obviously we will no longer be in the EU but my understanding of the transition was that EU law was being drafted into UK law or something along those lines? More research needed but we may be covered for flight cancellations.

As for anything else I am yet to find an insurance policy travel/emigrant or otherwise which isn't invalidated by the UK government's current advice to avoid non-essential travel abroad. This is especially frustrating given our travel is not non-essential...

Flight ban is for 72 hours currently with the potential to extend or enhance. Fingers crossed they figure out whether it really is more transmissible - there's no solid scientific evidence for that yet and government scientists have said it could be other environmental factors. Fingers crossed it's lifted ASAP. I am also travelling in Feb and will lose a grand on our temporary accommodation if we have to cancel it...

Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:15 pm

I don't think any of the emigrants insurances are likely to cover this, unless you can find one that offers an additional option to insure for 'Cancel For Any Reason' - but keep checking!

There are quite a few 'One Way' Travel Insurance companies, so I'd suggest checking their websites (a few below to start you off ) to see if any offer Covid cover for flight / accommodation cancellations.
https://www.itssoeasytravelinsurance...insurance.html
https://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/one_w..._insurance.php
https://www.expatriatehealthcare.com/travel-insurance/
https://www.truetraveller.com/one-way-travel-insurance
https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-i...avel-insurance
https://www.bigcattravelinsurance.co...vel-insurance/

I totally understand how frustrating this must be for you, hopefully by February all the bruhaha and over reactions by governments will have passed and you will be able to fly. Fingers crossed!

Edited to add - from the 1st link above - so if the current situation abates you might still be able to purchase something similar and be covered for future directives against travelling..
The NEW COVID-19 cover includes:

Trip Cancellation covered up to £3,000 or £5,000 depending on the type and level of cover chosen (subject to policy excess)
If you have to cancel your trip as a result of the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body issuing a directive prohibiting all travel or all but essential travel to the country or specific area or event to which you were booked to travel, providing the directive came into force after you purchased this insurance or booked the trip (whichever is the later).
https://www.itssoeasytravelinsurance.com/COVID-19.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 21st 2020 at 2:29 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.
I was concerned about our accommodation too but the lady has cancelled our air bnb booking this morning, Barrie is going into a lockdown and she said she is taking the rental off the market for now.
now I’m undecided as to whether to re arrange our flights for later in the year or just re book another accommodation in the hope that things blow over. 🤔
think I may wait and work it out after Xmas once Trudeau decides whether he re opens the border to uk flights or not.

it’s such uncertain times, I wish covid would do one!
Old Dec 21st 2020, 7:40 pm

Thank you.
I was concerned about our accommodation too but the lady has cancelled our air bnb booking this morning, Barrie is going into a lockdown and she said she is taking the rental off the market for now.
now I’m undecided as to whether to re arrange our flights for later in the year or just re book another accommodation in the hope that things blow over. 🤔
think I may wait and work it out after Xmas once Trudeau decides whether he re opens the border to uk flights or not.

it’s such uncertain times, I wish covid would do one!
The whole of Ontario is going into lockdown on Boxing day for 28 days! (or in other words at midnight Christmas day)
Hopefully you have got your deposit back for your airbnb booking, I would hang fire if you can before making any decisions - give it a little longer until things settle down a bit and hopefully return to the 'new normal'.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 21st 2020 at 7:44 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys, anyone can comment on airbnb policy --- if i had to cancel because canada banned flights.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what the host has set up - should be in your confirmation email I think. Air bnb lets the host set the refund policy. If your booking is a month or more you can't get back the first month + a service fee. However it does depend on your host to some extent. Ours was nice enough to message us today and say that if we needed to cancel then he would give us all our money back but that's fully down to him rather than air bnb...
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by eversmannx View Post
hey guys, anyone can comment on airbnb policy --- if i had to cancel because canada banned flights.
https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2...avirus-covid19

If you’re a guest, you can find cancellation and refund options by going to the Trips page and choosing your trip—find out how. If you’re a host, you’ll find information in your hosting dashboard.
It looks like a lot may depend on when you booked too - but check your booking for the host's policy.. I don't believe that airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy will cover you.

Do check this page too! https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2...lation-options

If my travel plans change because of COVID-19, what are my cancellation options?To find out what your current cancellation and refund options are, go to cancel your reservation and choose My travel plans have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

You will always have these options:
  • Refund according to your host’s cancellation policy
  • Full cash refund by submitting official documentation for review
If your reservation doesn’t qualify for a full refund, you can always message your host to find out if they’re willing to give you an additional refund through the Resolution Center.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 23rd 2020 at 9:48 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

The standard word is... as you pointed out above, COVID is not considered as extenuating for a recent booking. So it ultimately comes down to host's cancellation policy. with hindsight now i know what to look for - some offer a full refund option upto the day before check in - but even this would've cost me some money as the Canada governments decision to extend the initial 72 hour ban into further 2 weeks was pretty last minute...

the host wont budge, and there's nothing airbnb would do - it's a pretty useless situation. I could've felt a bit at fault if i caught COVID or something and had to cancel - at least i knew the risk and decided to fly at this time... but the flight ban last minute was pretty difficult to swallow. do you reckon there is any chance paypal would offer to help (or the connected amex) - i dont think there is any legal ground here, more like ethical one :-(

p.s. for booking next time, is there any extra cover for booking directly through a credit card rather than paypal
Old Jan 7th 2021, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I don't think any of the emigrants insurances are likely to cover this, unless you can find one that offers an additional option to insure for 'Cancel For Any Reason' - but keep checking!

There are quite a few 'One Way' Travel Insurance companies, so I'd suggest checking their websites (a few below to start you off ) to see if any offer Covid cover for flight / accommodation cancellations.
https://www.itssoeasytravelinsurance...insurance.html
https://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/one_w..._insurance.php
https://www.expatriatehealthcare.com/travel-insurance/
https://www.truetraveller.com/one-way-travel-insurance
https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-i...avel-insurance
https://www.bigcattravelinsurance.co...vel-insurance/

I totally understand how frustrating this must be for you, hopefully by February all the bruhaha and over reactions by governments will have passed and you will be able to fly. Fingers crossed!

Edited to add - from the 1st link above - so if the current situation abates you might still be able to purchase something similar and be covered for future directives against travelling..

I just spoke to customer service for insure and go because I could not see a 'one way' option on there website he told me I can book either single trip or backpackers and put the start and end date for the day I travel and the day we land. Is this correct? only I was looking online and people had said single trip and backpackers aren't the same as one way? I don't want to book something that won't cover me if my baggage gets lost etc.

Thanks