Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insulating the furnace room: Discuss

Insulating the furnace room: Discuss

Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Insulating the furnace room: Discuss

Yes indeed that’s an oil boiler, I’m not sure what the code is in your province but in the UK that flue that connects to your boiler would be against code the flexible liner is only supposed to be inserted down the masonry chimney and then you would finish the connection to the boiler with a rigid metal pipe. That liner connected to an oil boiler will get incredibly hot so keep your insulation well away from it. Not trying to panic you but probably worth getting a professional to check it out.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever it is (furnace or boiler) it heats water on demand for hot water and water for the hot water radiation central heating. So I'd call it a boiler but I thought the Canadian was furnace.

Interesting re. the flue and something I will get checked out. The furnace is serviced every year on a service contract and thus far no-one has mentioned anything to me about it not being to code! (Including the home inspector.)
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Seeing as we're on the topic...... anyone had any experience with insulating a crawl space? Our rancher is darned cold in the winter, and there's some pink batten insulation down there, but someone mentioned spray foam insulation on all the exterior walls. But I wonder about air circulation and ventilation. Trouble is, it's just a 3 ft crawl space so hard to get down there and do the work yourself, and contractors cost a bomb.

we had the same problem and bought rolls of "Total Insulation", which we put under our wooden floor and our tiles (that is between plywood and hardwood flooring / tiles) but of course that can only be done, if the floor needs renewing anyway..

http://www.insulation4less.com/prodex_Ffmf.asp
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Whatever it is (furnace or boiler) it heats water on demand for hot water and water for the hot water radiation central heating. So I'd call it a boiler but I thought the Canadian was furnace.

Interesting re. the flue and something I will get checked out. The furnace is serviced every year on a service contract and thus far no-one has mentioned anything to me about it not being to code! (Including the home inspector.)
Furnace for forced air heating.
Boiler for 'wet systems'
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

We have an oil furnace which look very similar to your photo, and the flues are identical. Ours heats hot water for on demand water, hot water baseboards and hot water in-floor heat. We had this house built for us and nobody has been concerned about the flues, from construction inspection, through the plumber who finished the basement, to the company who have the maintenance contract (and they did pick up some issues when it was first installed).

I've never heard it called a boiler here. Perhaps we are in an Atlantic Province anomaly area?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

MOH says it not to code in ontario
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
MOH says it not to code in ontario
...and it wouldn't meet code in Alberta.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
...and it wouldn't meet code in Alberta.
MOH is smiling that smile he has when he sees something wrong. Maybe its called a sardonic smile??
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

MOH is smiling that smile he has when he sees something wrong. Maybe its called a sardonic smile??
I hope it not something I wrote.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its called a sardonic smile??
Can sardines smile?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:56 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the flue is definitely not to code. If you look on the unit it should have a model# and serial# you can use to download a manual from the manufacturers website. That'll give you all the clearences to combustibles.