Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insufferable Canada

Insufferable Canada

Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insufferable Canada

Tim Horton's has a new ad featuring an Asian grandfather, it's set in a hockey rink and suggests assimilation through coffee. I find it absurdly patronising. It lacks donuts, we don't see successive generations expanding, but it milks every stereotype; kindly white man offers coffee to timid immigrant, immigrant's child adopts local religion, third generation child is a hockey star. Apparently uncaring and inscrutable oriental father learns Canadian values and reveals secret bond with child and grandchild. All celebrate with coffee from a US based multinational corporation.

I'd barely pushed finished puking when CBC moved on to the betting story:

Wayne Greztky, a Canadian icon, like that guy who couldn't hobble across the country on one leg, gambles a bit but the CBC wriggles and squirms to avoid saying so.

Am I the only one who finds a streak of self-righteousness a mile wide in the Canadian psyche ?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:26 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insufferable Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tim Horton's has a new ad featuring an Asian grandfather, it's set in a hockey rink and suggests assimilation through coffee. I find it absurdly patronising. It lacks donuts, we don't see successive generations expanding, but it milks every stereotype; kindly white man offers coffee to timid immigrant, immigrant's child adopts local religion, third generation child is a hockey star. Apparently uncaring and inscrutable oriental father learns Canadian values and reveals secret bond with child and grandchild. All celebrate with coffee from a US based multinational corporation.

Wayne Greztky, a Canadian icon, like that guy who couldn't hobble across the country on one leg, gambles a bit but the CBC wriggles and squirms to avoid saying so.

Am I the only one who finds a streak of self-righteousness a mile wide in the Canadian psyche ?
Careful now. You may find yourself on the wannabe expats hit list with inflammatory (if totally spot-on) commentary like that....
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Lights the blue touch paper and stands well back, eh?

<reaches for the "ignore" button>....haven't felt moved to use that for while.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Careful now. You may find yourself on the wannabe expats hit list with inflammatory (if totally spot-on) commentary like that....
Thank you for the "spot on". TBH, the Canadians wouldn't bother me so much except that they love to feel superior to Americans who, to me, seem just to do the same things but more slickly.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Lights the blue touch paper and stands well back, eh?

<reaches for the "ignore" button>....haven't felt moved to use that for while.
Well, yes, I hope for a bang, men always do. I'm not completely trolling though, I do think there's a horrible streak of superiority among English Canadians.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes, I hope for a bang, men always do. I'm not completely trolling though, I do think there's a horrible streak of superiority among English Canadians.

It's inherited from the Brits but they are trying to get rid of it.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
It's inherited from the Brits but they are trying to get rid of it.
Shot!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Insufferable Canada

Shot!
Hey we Canadians are a nice lot you can't blame all of us for what Greztky does He by the way who defected to the USA

as for the commercial so we have some dumb (most likely American advertising monger ) writing bad commercials ( Timmy's is now alas owned by an American company)
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Well you made the choice to live here didnt you?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Hey we Canadians are a nice lot you can't blame all of us for what Greztky does He by the way who defected to the USA

as for the commercial so we have some dumb (most likely American advertising monger ) writing bad commercials ( Timmy's is now alas owned by an American company)
I meant Tim Horton's when I mentioned a US based multinational. You have me wrong over Gretzky though I assume he gambles, has had sex with a huge variety of people, drinks, has tried cocaine, drives too fast, parks untidlily and that all of this is filtered out by the Canadian media because Canadians want heros whose "shit don't stink". My complaint is that the lives of famous Canadians are cleaned up because that's what the public wants, while the lives of famous Brits and Americans are sullied, for the same reason. If, in fact, Gretzky who fabulously rich has done none of the above then I despair for him, what was it all for ?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by willmore
Well you made the choice to live here didnt you?
Like Bogart, I was misinformed.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Timmy's is now alas owned by an American company
And The Bay too!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
And The Bay too!
I'd heard about that - has the takeover of The Bay succeeded? That would be a shame.

Thought I'd mention too, that I have a lot of respect for Terry Fox in what he envisioned and what he tried to accomplish.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Is the irony in the commercial that Tim Horton's entire staff is made up of timid immigrants? Perhaps it is not a commercial but a recruitment video?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:55 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It's only another silly commercial - and nothing more. It says nothing about the "Canadian psyche" (as if there were such a thing). The only thing telling here is your interpretation of a commericial, and it says something about you. Much like a Rorschach Test (ink-blot test) used in psychology.

The way the law works in this country is that one is presumed innocent until proven guilty of a crime. Furthermore, Wayne Gretzky hasn't even been accused of committing any crime.

Actually, what you are doing is called "projecting" in psychology.

To project: "Psychology. To externalize and attribute (an emotion, for example) to someone or something else."

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

In other words, it's you who is showing "a streak of self-righteousness a mile wide" with your comments as you point the finger at Canadians.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 11th 2006 at 4:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.