Information Please

Wikiposts

Information Please

Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

nmp17145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information Please

DEAR ALL,

I am from India(Mumbai) migrating to Canada in June-05. I have a post graduate diploma in Management along with a Bachelors degree in commerce from Mumbai & have about 7-8 years of experience in Logistics, supply Chain & ware house management with leading companies in India. Can anyone please guide me if I will be able to get a job in Canada quickly. I know I am asking for the unknown, But any feed back will help me a lot. Are routine office & admin.jobs also very hard to come by for Indians with good exposure & experience? Please help.

Regards & Luck to all
Vipul
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:26 pm
Lyles

Default Re: Information Please

Hi Vipul,
This isn't from my own personal experience, but there are lots of threads that seem to suggest its all about networking and getting to know the hiring manager. Its not easy, put it that way. You have to do a lot of work to get an interview, most of the time. Although some others are lucky.

There are lots of people also reporting that lots of employers ask for "Canadian Experience". This is a catch 22 really, unless you can do some voluntary work.

Also, you may have to be prepared to take a few steps down in your career ladder.

What I can say from my husband's and friends experiences is that none of them were asked for Canadian Experience. My two friends both have jobs in Toronto, one in I.T. and one as a social worker - although I he took what he could get which meant accepting a lower position and much lower pay. My husband had a few interviews and he wasn't asked for Canadian Experience. We were hoping someone was desperate enough to go through HRDC and apply for a work permit for him, alas, they were not!

And if it helps all these people are from Caribbean backgrounds.

I think you just have to go for it and try your hardest. Get involved in clubs, organisations, do some voluntary work. Whatever, it takes. My husband met a guy at a club who was willing to help him get work on an oil rig!! He also met some contacts at a Karate Club.

Good luck!

Lyles

DEAR ALL,

I am from India(Mumbai) migrating to Canada in June-05. I have a post graduate diploma in Management along with a Bachelors degree in commerce from Mumbai & have about 7-8 years of experience in Logistics, supply Chain & ware house management with leading companies in India. Can anyone please guide me if I will be able to get a job in Canada quickly. I know I am asking for the unknown, But any feed back will help me a lot. Are routine office & admin.jobs also very hard to come by for Indians with good exposure & experience? Please help.

Regards & Luck to all
Vipul[/QUOTE]

Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:14 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by nmp17145
7-8 years of experience in Logistics, supply Chain & ware house management with leading companies in India.
I know it's probably a step down for you, but temp agencies always seem to be looking for experienced logistics people ... if you're willing to take a more junior job, somebody will work out if you're good and opportunities can open up.

Start low and work up ... does the trick for a lot of people.

Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:34 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Vipul,

Should be able to get work with the qualifications.
Have you looked on the web for a culture centre or religion centre in the area you are moving to? They maybe able to help you.

Networking in the local Indian community would be a good start. Do you have any idea where you are going to try first?