British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Info on the job market in Halifax please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/info-job-market-halifax-please-365762/)

scrubbedexpat074 Apr 5th 2006 3:27 pm

Re: Info on the job market in Halifax please

Originally Posted by Eden
Where are the nicest areas to buy a house? All of the suburbs look nice but are there any which are more popular with newcomers that have nice pubs and restaurants without having to drive miles. Again, any info most welcome.

Oops, back on task eh?

Bedford is popular, but too crowded for me, we are just past Lawrencetown in a place called Mineville - perfect for us, a few acres of land, 15 minutes to the city, 10 minutes to the beach (rather important for us).

Restaurants? We decided to drive (driving everywhere being a fact of life here) as the best places are probably in or close to the city centre.

The other brits I know are spread around and there doesn't really seem to be a most popular area, though Bedford would probably be the most densely populated by default...

Atlantic Xpat Apr 5th 2006 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eden
Where are the nicest areas to buy a house? All of the suburbs look nice but are there any which are more popular with newcomers that have nice pubs and restaurants without having to drive miles. Again, any info most welcome.

Locals such as SAW04 can advise. My only knowledge is of Beaverbank which is about 20 mins drive from Halifax Central. Our friends have a 1.5 storey typical large bungalow on an acre in a fairly rural setting. One comment is that in Canada generally unless you live right in a town/city etc driving to a pub, shop, resturant is usually a neccesity. Its a big place! I believe the upmarket area of Halifax itself is the North Western arm. Certainly the waterfront property there looks very desirable based on the boat trip I went on last year!

Really though there is no substitute for visiting and having a look around yourself. MLS.ca is good but can be deceiving. I used to ring/email my wife in NL (she moved back before I joined her) and say 'so and so looks good value/nice' for her to say 'no! thats not a good area.' Its not until you visit that you see these things for yourself.

There you go. My thoughts on how to suck eggs!

AX

Londonuck Apr 5th 2006 3:50 pm

sounds like heaven!

i just walked down oxford st and through soho in london and i tell u im sick of millions of people

roll on boring sundays in halifax NS!

Rachelmark Apr 5th 2006 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Halifax, Yes Yes Yes

The Op's question was regarding job prospects. Whilst I cannot answer specifics regarding media and education positions, you will have far more chance of obtaining employment than you would in either Saint John (NB) or Charlottetown.

Halifax gives us everything that Fredericton, NB didn't, including great jobs and a wonderful lifestyle.

SAW 04

Do you have kids? If so,how old, and are they happy there? We are now looking at the Halifax area as it appears to offer the lifestyle that made us originally apply to emigrate to Canada. However, two of our children (19 and 17) do not share our enthusiasm! Is it a big city? Also, are there any particular places that are nice to live, within commuting distance?

Rachelmark Apr 5th 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Do you have kids? If so,how old, and are they happy there? We are now looking at the Halifax area as it appears to offer the lifestyle that made us originally apply to emigrate to Canada. However, two of our children (19 and 17) do not share our enthusiasm! Is it a big city? Also, are there any particular places that are nice to live, within commuting distance?

Sorry, I see this has already been answered! I must learn to read ALL the posts on a thread BEFORE posting! :)

Marathon Wreck Apr 5th 2006 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
imagine the scenario, lazy sunday, wake up, really nice day
- hey lets have an impromptu barbeque & invite soem friends over
(because we hate shopping esp ikea....)

as we live life on 'the edge' we have'nt planned for this/loaded up fridge with wings & alexander keiths, so we'll nip down the store & pick up some supplies
..... doh , we live in the heaving metropolis/super city/hrm

let's wander around spring garden for a few hours instead, i hear london drug is doing a good discount on reeces pieces, or we could always go to Chapters with the family instead & drink over-priced coffee

Hey Beaverquest......
You want to come off those drugs!!!! :scared: They obviously don't agree with you........ :p
Never in the history of mankind has anyone person talked sooooo much cack!
( not in my humble opinion ......) ;)
Bo

Tidge Apr 5th 2006 7:25 pm

I suppose the question is - what did you want to happen in Halifax?

It has pubs. It has surf beaches within a reasonable drive (admittedly the water is bloody freezing, but I can handle it). And if London Drugs are doing Reeces Pieces at a good deal... heaven!

Sorry about not addressing the topic of this thread, btw.

Beaverquest Apr 6th 2006 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Wreck
Hey Beaverquest......
You want to come off those drugs!!!! :scared: They obviously don't agree with you........ :p
Never in the history of mankind has anyone person talked sooooo much cack!
( not in my humble opinion ......) ;)
Bo

you obviously did'n't get the sarcasm intended, with respect to the direction of the thread, yeah i was bored & was aware it would 'light the blue touchpaper' with the 'metro' lovers out there ; but this is my opinion of the place, of working & living there, i've earned it & am entitled to it

ps drugs & beavers don't go

am only venting my personal opinions & experiences of a particualr town i lived in - at no time did i launch a personal attack on anyone

Londonuck Apr 6th 2006 10:30 am

you obviously did'n't get the sarcasm intended, with respect to the direction of the thread, yeah i was bored & was aware it would 'light the blue touchpaper' with the 'metro' lovers out there ; but this is my opinion of the place, of working & living there, i've earned it & am entitled to it

ps drugs & beavers don't go

am only venting my personal opinions & experiences of a particualr town i lived in - at no time did i launch a personal attack on anyone

are u in aberdeen scotland or one of the many around the world?

Beaverquest Apr 6th 2006 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck
are u in aberdeen scotland or one of the many around the world?

OPTION 1

Marathon Wreck Apr 6th 2006 7:48 pm

OPTION 1

Ditto :p

And can therefore confirm it to be a hotbed of :Sunday shopping ,impromptu barbies and 'living on the edge' :D :D :D
Bo