Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Info on Calgary Stampede Please

Wikiposts

Info on Calgary Stampede Please

Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:10 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on Calgary Stampede Please

When my parents come at the end of June 08 to visit us in Saskatchewan they want to see the Calgary Stampede too.

What is the best way to go about seeing the Stampede and the usual Rockies sites etc.

I think they will have about 5-7 days to do this in. Is it best to fly from Regina/Calgary as opposed to driving the Prairies with nothing to see?

How many days do you need to do the Stampede and is it best for me to organise tickets beforehand for them.

They want me to sort this all out for them before we leave on the 17th Jan so I though I'd better get cracking on with it.

Thanks for any help or info.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Calgary Stampede Please

You do know that it's cruel to the animals? Yes?

Jolly good - no need for that tangent this time.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

You beat me to it.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

No need just yet, save it for later when you can give more details
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
No need just yet, save it for later when you can give more details

Hey, I like rodeos. Mutton busting is my favourite event.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:21 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alvic
When my parents come at the end of June 08 to visit us in Saskatchewan they want to see the Calgary Stampede too.

What is the best way to go about seeing the Stampede and the usual Rockies sites etc.

I think they will have about 5-7 days to do this in. Is it best to fly from Regina/Calgary as opposed to driving the Prairies with nothing to see?

How many days do you need to do the Stampede and is it best for me to organise tickets beforehand for them.

They want me to sort this all out for them before we leave on the 17th Jan so I though I'd better get cracking on with it.

Thanks for any help or info.

The Calgary Stampede is a great experience and could easily be covered in one day. I would strongly recommend buying the tickets before coming.

In the show grounds you have large agricultural shows where all the farmers show their cows, lamb, pigs etc. There is also the Saddledome which has the band and dog shows and then the roundup building with a large exhibition with everything else like Canadian goods/crafts an art show and lots of stuff.

The beauty of all of above is that they are all cooler than outside so last year you had to go inside to get comfortable.

At the far end you have the First Nations area where there are the tee pees and the different dancing competition. This was great to go and watch and it is amazing the energy in the dancing.

Then there is also outside the midway which to you and me is really a large travelling fairground. Large, noisy, expensive, with long line ups ( if you can you should miss this bit out)

If you are an adult only group there is the Nashville north tent which has groups and bands playing in a massive beer tent. There is the outside Coca Cola stage which also has bands playing at different times of the day. (but sum 41 on a saturday was an experience)

All of the above is all part of the admission price.

If you have more money then most people go to see either the rodeo in the afternoon or the chuckwagon races and grandstand show in the evening.

During the years I have done both and really it is down to personal taste. I have friends who swear by the evening chuckwagon races and the show which are both excellent.

Personally I preferred the rodeo, but it is really down to personal choice. If you want to see both and do all the other stuff, you really would be pushing it to do it all in one day.

Just to warn your relatives, if you get a hot day then the whole area is very hot, packed with crowds, at meal times you are fighting to find somewhere to sit to eat, everything is double the price. but it is an experience.

We have been 3 times in 6 years. We find it is not every year experience

The parade on the first Friday is one of the best in Canada/world and is really really great. and don't forget to get your relatives to a Stampede Breakfast when they are here, they are all over the city and are free

Hope you find this a far and neutral overview of the greatest show on earth.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I like rodeos. Mutton busting is my favourite event.
Mutton busting? - sounds rude.

I like PBR, you see some fancy horses there, and of course there are other attractions..........
Attached Thumbnails Info on Calgary Stampede Please-bull-riding-006.gif   Info on Calgary Stampede Please-bull-riding-014.gif  
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:38 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

The Stampede is definitely an eperiance, overall, a very LOUD party where you are challenged to have a good time.

Western Wear is a must, including boots, make sure you enjoy one of the many breakfasts served throughout the city.

Crowds are a fact of life but how often do you get the opportunity, so buy tickets early, I like the races,the Indian dances, and enjoy.

Cruelty to animals, as they chomp on their hamburger.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
The Calgary Stampede is a great experience and could easily be covered in one day. I would strongly recommend buying the tickets before coming.

In the show grounds you have large agricultural shows where all the farmers show their cows, lamb, pigs etc. There is also the Saddledome which has the band and dog shows and then the roundup building with a large exhibition with everything else like Canadian goods/crafts an art show and lots of stuff.

The beauty of all of above is that they are all cooler than outside so last year you had to go inside to get comfortable.

At the far end you have the First Nations area where there are the tee pees and the different dancing competition. This was great to go and watch and it is amazing the energy in the dancing.

Then there is also outside the midway which to you and me is really a large travelling fairground. Large, noisy, expensive, with long line ups ( if you can you should miss this bit out)

If you are an adult only group there is the Nashville north tent which has groups and bands playing in a massive beer tent. There is the outside Coca Cola stage which also has bands playing at different times of the day. (but sum 41 on a saturday was an experience)

All of the above is all part of the admission price.

If you have more money then most people go to see either the rodeo in the afternoon or the chuckwagon races and grandstand show in the evening.

During the years I have done both and really it is down to personal taste. I have friends who swear by the evening chuckwagon races and the show which are both excellent.

Personally I preferred the rodeo, but it is really down to personal choice. If you want to see both and do all the other stuff, you really would be pushing it to do it all in one day.

Just to warn your relatives, if you get a hot day then the whole area is very hot, packed with crowds, at meal times you are fighting to find somewhere to sit to eat, everything is double the price. but it is an experience.

We have been 3 times in 6 years. We find it is not every year experience

The parade on the first Friday is one of the best in Canada/world and is really really great. and don't forget to get your relatives to a Stampede Breakfast when they are here, they are all over the city and are free

Hope you find this a far and neutral overview of the greatest show on earth.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The only thing I would add to this is that accommodation is tight around the 10 days of Stampede as the population doubles. Being close to downtown means that you will be able to experience all that is going on with less traffic issues that if you are outside of the downtown core. Stampede breakfasts are served all over the city though and at all times of day and evening.

The city does get crowded, but the Stampede ground itself is, in my opinion, no more crowded than an average day at, say, Alton Towers in the UK with the queues for the rides nothing like Alton Towers. There is lots to do for both young and old. It can be done in a day but, if you have young children, it may be worth doing the evenings shows on one day and the other stuff on another. It is a long day for children otherwise.

If you are prepared to get there early enough (before 9 am) on two days, entry to the Stampede Grounds is free and, if you are prepared to queue for it, a free pancake breakfast will be served.

HTH
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by daft batty
Mutton busting? - sounds rude.

I like PBR, you see some fancy horses there, and of course there are other attractions..........
Mutton busting is small children riding sheep as their elders do bulls. The more strident anti-rodeo people argue that it's cruel to both the sheep and the children though I can't see that.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:51 am

Thanks for ALL the replies, scarcastic ones and all

So give them a few days at it and the rest could be spent doing the Rockies?

It sounds like great fun and also they will be able to make it for the opening parade

Do we just buy the tickets from the stampede site I have seen on the net?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The only thing I would add to this is that accommodation is tight around the 10 days of Stampede as the population doubles. Being close to downtown means that you will be able to experience all that is going on with less traffic issues that if you are outside of the downtown core. Stampede breakfasts are served all over the city though and at all times of day and evening.

The city does get crowded, but the Stampede ground itself is, in my opinion, no more crowded than an average day at, say, Alton Towers in the UK with the queues for the rides nothing like Alton Towers. There is lots to do for both young and old. It can be done in a day but, if you have young children, it may be worth doing the evenings shows on one day and the other stuff on another. It is a long day for children otherwise.

If you are prepared to get there early enough (before 9 am) on two days, entry to the Stampede Grounds is free and, if you are prepared to queue for it, a free pancake breakfast will be served.

HTH
Thanks for the tips on getting there before 9am - I'm sure I could pull them out of their beds for that

Any reccommendations on where to stay?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Cruelty to animals, as they chomp on their hamburger.
It does not follow that there's cruelty involved in making a hamburger. If it was a kosher or halal burger then yes but if it's a slaughterhouse burger then only maybe. Steer roping and chuck wagon races are however necessarily cruel. I enjoy those spectacles the way I do the Grand National and fox hunting but I can live with inflicting suffering for my gratification, I don't think one should need moral relativism, if one is happy to see pain inflicted for one's fun one should admit to it.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:18 am

It does not follow that there's cruelty involved in making a hamburger. If it was a kosher or halal burger then yes but if it's a slaughterhouse burger then only maybe. Steer roping and chuck wagon races are however necessarily cruel. I enjoy those spectacles the way I do the Grand National and fox hunting but I can live with inflicting suffering for my gratification, I don't think one should need moral relativism, if one is happy to see pain inflicted for one's fun one should admit to it.
Oi .....this is a nice thread for help with my parents visit:curse:

If you lot want to argue about the moral side of the Stampede start a thread of your own.

Only nice answers which are helpful to my original request form now on please
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Alvic
Oi .....this is a nice thread for help with my parents visit:curse:

If you lot want to argue about the moral side of the Stampede start a thread of your own.

Only nice answers which are helpful to my original request form now on please
If you start a thread about the Stampede, chopping bits off dogs, female circumcision, the price of rent boys or any other distasteful and controversial topic you invite critical responses. You should at least be aware that your pleasures are not something to be mentioned in polite society.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.