Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
And were treated very badly by Canada, yet they were happy to integrate, as were as all the other nationals that came to Canada, looking for a better life and wanting to become "Canadian" - as opposed to coming here for a better life and insisting that Canada adapt to their ways, culture, language and refusing to communicate in either of the official languages. Rather than sharing their culture and wanting to learn about others.

My goodness, we need some lightening up on here, and evidently few people understand the meaning of "ironic". I make no apologies for my posting, and I certainly do not consider myself a "disgrace". I've loved this country and contributed to it fully and wholeheartedly.
I must have been away from the UK too long, I missed the irony.
If communication is the issue (which I doubt) why dont you learn Cantonese or another Chinese dialect and share your culture with them?
The variety of "culture" from Asia out there is vast, thats if you are bothered to access it.
I'd be interested where you were from in UK that you were driven out by hoards of non-English speaking foreigners in 1975? I suspect you are talking about West Indians who incidently for the most part speak English.
Face it, you are just a plain and simple old school racist who is looking for some white, English speaking haven.
There are plenty of Rednecks of similar disposition in the Valley so good luck.
Maybe you need to head further East down the Valley.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ray1968
Learning a language does not come overnight and many people want to converse with others in their native tongues, not a big deal.

I agree. The polish side of my family didnt know english when they moved here. In fact my grandparents didnt learn english until my dad and his brother started school and learned english and then taught them. They were far more comfortable speaking polish and living in a polish community. In fact until my grandparents died my dad would speak a combo of english/polish to them on the phone and in person.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:13 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
I agree. The polish side of my family didnt know english when they moved here.
Mr Sheen works well in any language Sue.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Ok you may not agree with her but lets keep out the personal attack and argue the message...please or mr lock will be forced to intervene

I find it quite remarkable that racists are not shut down on this forum.
Time and time again, I have seen racist posts.
It is very offensive.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:25 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Ironic. Exactly why I left the UK in '75 - and now I live in an area where we are officially the "minority" - Vancouver, otherwise known as Hongcouver! The face of Vancouver is now stastically Chinese, female, under-25. Ride the transit system here and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who speaks English. Serves me right, I guess!
The Shetland Islands may have suited you better Annette.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever reported a racist post? Or do you leave it to others to do?

Originally Posted by London7
It is very offensive.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:28 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

as opposed to coming here for a better life and insisting that Canada adapt to their ways, culture, language and refusing to communicate in either of the official languages. .
How does Canada adapt to ways, cultural practices and/or languages of others upon their insistance. Specific examples. Do these adaptations (if any), make Canada, less Canadian?

Or does it just bother you that you can't eavestrough on their convos on the train? I'm hard of hearing and I can't, even in English-speaking countries.... bugs the crap out of me.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you may not agree with her but lets keep out the personal attack and argue the message...please or mr lock will be forced to intervene
How about Mr. Ban-That-Poster? I mean, some of my best friends are bigots. </irony>

One does wonder if she speaks anything but English.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

I dont blame certain races for keeping to their own, with attitudes like yours.
Think you need to head south and look for large white pointy hats.
And this is why we will never have a sensible rational debate about immigration. It is no longer possible to suggest that immigrants (I'm 2nd-gen Polish, BTW) should try their utmost to integrate into their new country without being accused of some heinous crime.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
And this is why we will never have a sensible rational debate about immigration. It is no longer possible to suggest that immigrants (I'm 2nd-gen Polish, BTW) should try their utmost to integrate into their new country without being accused of some heinous crime.
On the contrary. I think we're just reaching this tipping point in the UK. If New Labour ministers, the high priests of political correctness, feel they can say these things, then you can be sure that the sociological philosophy dominant since the 1970s is about to go into the dustbin.

K.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is very offensive.
There certainly are racist posts but I don't think anything on this thread is particularly so. Even if we read AnnetteM's original post unironically it can be interpreted as a lament for the lack of a common language rather than simple hate for people of a specific background. At the risk of being racist myself I'd say Indian immigrants might be more desirable than Chinese ones because they come from a place where English is used as a common second language; they're more likely to be used to falling back on speaking a form of English than immigrants from China. They also drive better.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kt0157
On the contrary. I think we're just reaching this tipping point in the UK. If New Labour ministers, the high priests of political correctness, feel they can say these things, then you can be sure that the sociological philosophy dominant since the 1970s is about to go into the dustbin.

K.
Not just in the UK. Multiculturalism (as opposed to assimilation) is enshrined in law in Canada. I believe that Australia is the only other country where this is the case. However the concept is not universally popular. Conservatives are against it and even the current GG has criticised it. If Harper ever manages to win a majority shareholding in parliament, things might change. I can't see him doing anything before that, though. It would be a gift to the Liberals.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really nice

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/multi/inclusive_e.cfm

For those that are interested.

as a Canadian it is something I knew, they teach it in school.

Last edited by MrsWillow; Oct 20th 2006 at 1:41 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/multi/inclusive_e.cfm

For those that are interested.

as a Canadian it is something I knew, they teach it in school.
Multiculturalism is the best thing about Toronto and, as a family, we exploit it massively. However, that doesn't preclude sometimes wishing that one could chat with people on the tram or in a queue in one of the official languages of the country. Conducting day-to-day commerce, such as buying vegetables, by pointing and smiling is ok for a while but it does get old; perhaps it's time for me to move to Alberta.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:48 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
There certainly are racist posts but I don't think anything on this thread is particularly so. Even if we read AnnetteM's original post unironically it can be interpreted as a lament for the lack of a common language rather than simple hate for people of a specific background. At the risk of being racist myself I'd say Indian immigrants might be more desirable than Chinese ones because they come from a place where English is used as a common second language; they're more likely to be used to falling back on speaking a form of English than immigrants from China. They also drive better.

No it's not a lament for a common language. I've been accused of racism and bigotry, and if that's the way my posting is perceived, so be it. It's far from who I am but you're going to believe what you choose to. My lament is more for the smothering of any other culture (and I embrace multiculturalsm, by the way) by one race while not contributing anything meaningful. And yes, I do mean the Chinese in my area. While there are exceptions, this is the general trend. To emigrate is also to integrate, not be exclusive and refuse to communicate with anyone outside of your race. My opinion is based on my own experience both personal and through my work. The original posting pointed out the increase in Indian immigrants, the decrease in Chinese, and I think that's a positive thing. But so far I've been accused of being anti-any other race than white English-speaking, and told where I should go to live. And that's not bigotry??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.