Indian food

Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future
Default Indian food

Ok. We are living in Canada and trying to conform to their way of live "When in Rome etc..." But..

Indian takeaways , jars and packets etc are cr&p

I know it is because we are used to takeaways that have been adapted to the English palate (full of cream and sugar, not healthy but a nice treat occassionally)

I have used quite a few recipes off of the internet but it is not quite the same.

Does anybody have an English style recipe for chicken Korma or chicken Tikka massala? if not I may write to our old takeaway and beg for their recipe, I think we would make a fortune with all the expats out here.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:25 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: Indian food

There's plenty of ready-made curry sauces in our local supermarkets, including Sharwoods, Pataks, and a few made-in-Mumbai specials I'd not come across before.

Still searching for a comparable Indian restaurant experience, but doing it at home tastes pretty similar to me.

You could always take a course and make your own... Plenty of Indian markets here for your masalas.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...must confess have been reduced to making my own...as you say, with one exception the so called'Curry Houses' I ahve been subjected too have been crap!

Have learned to make a very passable Rogan Josh though...yummy!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:28 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
Yes...must confess have been reduced to making my own...as you say, with one exception the so called'Curry Houses' I ahve been subjected too have been crap!

Have learned to make a very passable Rogan Josh though...yummy!
You just have to get to like Butter Chicken!!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:42 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have a theory about the curry over here, in the UK the vast majority of the 'Indian; curry houses are actually run by Bangladeshi's and so we are used to eating Bangladeshi food and that the curry houses over here are actually run by Indian's. There is obviously the Canadianisation and the UKisation to take into consideration too.

Fortunately near me in Calgary there are a couple of pretty good curry houses. I have also found that some of the Presidents Choice frozen curry's are pretty good too
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Ok.
Does anybody have an English style recipe for chicken Korma or chicken Tikka massala? if not I may write to our old takeaway and beg for their recipe, I think we would make a fortune with all the expats out here.

I did just that ! my favourite curry house I had been going to since I was sixteen, gave me the recipe for their Chicken Balti and Shami Kebabs !

However didnt ever quite taste the same
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I have a theory about the curry over here, in the UK the vast majority of the 'Indian; curry houses are actually run by Bangladeshi's and so we are used to eating Bangladeshi food and that the curry houses over here are actually run by Indian's. There is obviously the Canadianisation and the UKisation to take into consideration too.

Fortunately near me in Calgary there are a couple of pretty good curry houses. I have also found that some of the Presidents Choice frozen curry's are pretty good too
In Ontario, many of the curry houses are run by Punjabis who pour large amounts of oil into everything and you walk away bloated. They even do it with the birianis. I agree, it is the Bangladesh cooks that are the best.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 14th 2008 at 4:11 am.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

peachgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. We are living in Canada and trying to conform to their way of live "When in Rome etc..." But..

I know it is because we are used to takeaways that have been adapted to the English palate (full of cream and sugar, not healthy but a nice treat occassionally)

I have used quite a few recipes off of the internet but it is not quite the same.

The Curry Base (this is the foundation to any curry from vindaloo to korma)
makes 2 to 3 currys.

2lb onions
1oz ginger
1oz garlic
1.5 pints of water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 8oz tin smooth tomatoes
5 tablespoons of oil
1 teaspoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of turmeric
2 teaspoons of paprika

chop the garlic and ginger and then blend with a little water until smooth.

rough chop and boil the onions and then add the blended garlic,ginger and salt then simmer for about 30 mins, then let it cool.

once cool put the mixture into the blender and blend until smooth.

with a clean pan add oil, smooth tomatoes turmeric,paprika and
tomato pruee, bring to boil then simmer for ten mins.

now add the blended onion mixture reboil and simmer if it froths just skim
the top.

THIS WILL SPIT AND MAKE A MESS OF YOUR COOKER AT THIS STAGE

CHICKEN KORMA

4 tablespoons of oil
3 cups of curry base
Chicken
2 tablespoons of roughly cashew nuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 yellow food colouring
1/2 garam masala
1 teaspoon of ground cummin
1 cup of single cream
1 teaspoon of ground coriander (optional)

heat oil and add the curry base keep it hot and add your cooked
chicken, nuts, salt and yellow colouring cook for about 3mins now reduce the heat, add garam masala, cummin and then cream heat gently for about 4 mins.

hope you understand as this is very simple to make..............

Last edited by peachgary; Dec 14th 2008 at 5:13 am.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Maedros is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
In Ontario, many of the curry houses are run by Punjabis who pour large amounts of oil into everything and you walk away bloated. They even do it with the birianis. I agree, it is the Bangladesh cooks that are the best.
I wonder what would you guys think about the Goanese (Indo-Portuguese) food in Lisbon, with its spicy pork curry dishes.

Last edited by Maedros; Dec 14th 2008 at 6:41 am.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:21 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Made this a couple of times and its good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/j...ipe/index.html

Just make sure you get the ingredients. Got mine at the Punjabi Market in Vancouver, makes all the difference.