Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Just a quick question to see if anyone else out there has noticed an increase in anti immigrant feelings by Canadians recently, or is it limited to my area.

In the last week I have been told to f*** off back to england, by random people I've met, on 3 occassions, I have also been told, the old classic, that I should not be here taking Canadians jobs etc, and that I should be grateful that anyone would employ me, as immigrants are only good for mopping floors.

In the same breath, however, most folk I meet are still very welcoming and friendly, but in the year I have been here I have not really come across many prejudices, until recently.

Is this a coinicidence or is anybody else seeing an increase in this sort of thing.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Originally Posted by charlie1
Just a quick question to see if anyone else out there has noticed an increase in anti immigrant feelings by Canadians recently, or is it limited to my area.

In the last week I have been told to f*** off back to england, by random people I've met, on 3 occassions, I have also been told, the old classic, that I should not be here taking Canadians jobs etc, and that I should be grateful that anyone would employ me, as immigrants are only good for mopping floors.

In the same breath, however, most folk I meet are still very welcoming and friendly, but in the year I have been here I have not really come across many prejudices, until recently.

Is this a coinicidence or is anybody else seeing an increase in this sort of thing.

I have been visiting Canada for just short of 20 years and have never experienced this sort of attitude from Canadians.

I would just put it down to there jealousy that you maybe have better skills and are making a success of your life out there unlike the narrow minded people you have met
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I never meet any Canadians.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Not even Farmer Giles (or whoever the local Hay / Snowclearing / Horse guy is)?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not even Farmer Giles (or whoever the local Hay / Snowclearing / Horse guy is)?
His mother's English though he may have been born here; he's not quite unhyphenated. In fact even in the country I think the neighbours are all immigrants or first generation. Curiously, there are a lot of Punjabi farmers in the area. I haven't met the people up the road called "Vlad and Babe"; they could be the elusive people born here to two people born here.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice

Ignorance breeds contempt.......

May the person/ persons who voiced those comments drown in the sea of their own ignorance.....

Every Canadian I have met....so far.....has been warm, friendly, and accommodating.....

I'm sure....no...hold on....I KNOW that the majority of Canadian people are not all like that.

I'm sure that certain members of society will comment on my mixed race marriage when I land there....people have living here in the UK...but hey....they are the idiots...NOT ME!!!

Off the soapbox now....don't let it worry you...you get this sort of behavior everyone..thank goodness though in the minority!!!

Brian
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That is very true you know, my 11 yr old Son was with me at a big shopping mall in Vancouver on Saturday, he asked me to point out a nice looking blonde 'Canadian' girl so he could see how they compared to 'English girls'. Lets just say that it took a long long time before we managed to find one! Vancouver is a true melting pot of all nationalities, being mixed race he will fit in fine
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Danny B
being mixed race he will fit in fine
That's certainly true here. The only people I hear self-identify as being "Canadian" are those kids with a very complex background. Most children when asked "where you from?" respond with something like "my mom's from x, my dad's from y and I was born in z", sometimes it's too much to explain so they say "Canadian" as one might say "Earthling".
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:53 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
Vancouver is a true melting pot of all nationalities
Apparently it's not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting...lticulturalism

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Canadians are massively less racist and frightened of immigrants than the British are. If you ever want to be reassured of this, just read the "Have Your Say" of the BBC News website, and see which posts are the most popular. Then stop before you get too depressed.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:51 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

all Canadians we met every time we were over, were so nice and soon as they heard the Scottish accent we were stopped and we got their life story of how their granny or grandad was scottish niver met a nasty canadian yet I think you just met the odd clown who just had nothing better to do with themselfsdont take any notice and
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:07 pm
Banned

Frankie Zee is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope not - I am hoping to move to BC Vanny Island (Nanaimo - full of people from all over the world, I think) and never heard of any racists stuff there. Hope not, too much hate in the world now, don't need it in my life. :curse:

BC - pig headed racists or not ?

Frankie Zee
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

i did meet someone, a doctor non white not born in canada, who said he would never work with a muslim doctor, especially one who had worked in the UK. This is his reaction to the recent arrests.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Never ever had any bad reaction/feedback from anyone in Canada. In fact, quite the opposite.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:35 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

May be it's Charlie 1 - perhaps he\she managed to upset the nice NSians.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

I am just back from my first trip and i can honestly say i have never met a nicer group of people.As Kate says in her reply as soon as they hear your from Scotland they are certainly not shy in telling you were they came from and always always wish you a good Hol.
Arty & Family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.