Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increasing levels of anti immigrant opinion

Gosh Charlie 1... that's pretty rich, especially as I assume these ignorant and rude people were not from the "first nations". Let's face it everyone else in Canada are immigrants or descended from immigrants. Fortunately in my experience 99.9% of Canadians (whatever their own ancestral background) give a friendly welcome to new immigrants of all colours and creeds (or at least are too polite to show it if they're unwelcoming). Frankly if they used the anglo-saxon F word at you, they're probably Brits themselves and just getting narked as they wanted to keep NS to themselves.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie1
Just a quick question to see if anyone else out there has noticed an increase in anti immigrant feelings by Canadians recently, or is it limited to my area.

In the last week I have been told to f*** off back to england, by random people I've met, on 3 occassions, I have also been told, the old classic, that I should not be here taking Canadians jobs etc, and that I should be grateful that anyone would employ me, as immigrants are only good for mopping floors.

In the same breath, however, most folk I meet are still very welcoming and friendly, but in the year I have been here I have not really come across many prejudices, until recently.

Is this a coinicidence or is anybody else seeing an increase in this sort of thing.

I've had it a couple of times, just depends where you are
I would never expect it here in the GTA, but in smaller towns like London ON its not that uncommon
If work is scarce then people look for reasons why and as we all know well enough from the UK its those dam Immigrants
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:18 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frankie Zee
I hope not - I am hoping to move to BC Vanny Island (Nanaimo - full of people from all over the world, I think) and never heard of any racists stuff there. Hope not, too much hate in the world now, don't need it in my life. :curse:

BC - pig headed racists or not ?

Frankie Zee
You just might get a reaction if you insist on calling it Vanny Island to the locals!! Never heard it called that before and it might not go down too well.

Back to the original post - nope, never had any experience like that in over 30 years here. Only comment made to me is "what kind of accent is that?" - being from the west country it's hard to loose it!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
I am just back from my first trip and i can honestly say i have never met a nicer group of people.As Kate says in her reply as soon as they hear your from Scotland they are certainly not shy in telling you were they came from and always always wish you a good Hol.
Arty & Family
I find the Canadians far to cowardly to say it to your face for fear of being bitten by the PC bear!!

But there is a distinct air of racism here in Toronto at least.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
But there is a distinct air of racism here in Toronto at least.
By whom and toward whom?

On this block the Korean hates the Blacks and the queers, the Pole hates the Russians, the Italian hates everyone, the Palestinians and Jews hate each other, the one unhyphenated Canadian hates all non-whites because the fire brigade's quotas keeping him from joining. I don't think there's a single air of racism, rather there are lots of rivalries and tensions sometimes spilling into hatred.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Banned

Frankie Zee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
You just might get a reaction if you insist on calling it Vanny Island to the locals!! Never heard it called that before and it might not go down too well.
Ooh calm down calm down don't get your knickers twisted around your head

OK my big bad mistake is it becuz I is black

Frankie Zee
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:09 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

google

The Merry Minuet

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frankie Zee
Ooh calm down calm down don't get your knickers twisted around your head

OK my big bad mistake is it becuz I is black

Frankie Zee
Dunno, but didn't realise I needed calming or had me knickers twisted, either!!!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

Hi all. Been lurking for a couple of days but thought i should post on this topic. I was lucky enough to spend just under a year living and working in BC and as such think I can offer a point of view. On one occassion in a bar a drunk Canadian girl (who was on vacation from Ontario by the by) started ranting at one of the girls I had travelled to Canada with about being Scottish, ' Dirty Scots taking jobs' etc etc. Now of the 10 of us out 4 from Scotland 6 from Canada, the Scottish well we just shrugged and ignored her as one drubk person rambling meant nothing compared to the fantastic welcoming attitude of everyone else we had met.

However a couple of the Canadians we were with were disgusted by her attitude and got really annoyed that she might be seen as a reflection of Canada. So not only did the oppose her point of view, they openly told her so and felt ashamed for her.

In summary there is 'always one' but for anybody reading this thread they should know that, in my experience, its few and far between.

Tommy
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

GRiM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question to see if anyone else out there has noticed an increase in anti immigrant feelings by Canadians recently, or is it limited to my area.

In the last week I have been told to f*** off back to england, by random people I've met, on 3 occassions, I have also been told, the old classic, that I should not be here taking Canadians jobs etc, and that I should be grateful that anyone would employ me, as immigrants are only good for mopping floors.

In the same breath, however, most folk I meet are still very welcoming and friendly, but in the year I have been here I have not really come across many prejudices, until recently.

Is this a coinicidence or is anybody else seeing an increase in this sort of thing.
What part of Canada?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:44 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommyboy17
Hi all. Been lurking for a couple of days but thought i should post on this topic. I was lucky enough to spend just under a year living and working in BC and as such think I can offer a point of view. On one occassion in a bar a drunk Canadian girl (who was on vacation from Ontario by the by) started ranting at one of the girls I had travelled to Canada with about being Scottish, ' Dirty Scots taking jobs' etc etc. Now of the 10 of us out 4 from Scotland 6 from Canada, the Scottish well we just shrugged and ignored her as one drubk person rambling meant nothing compared to the fantastic welcoming attitude of everyone else we had met.

However a couple of the Canadians we were with were disgusted by her attitude and got really annoyed that she might be seen as a reflection of Canada. So not only did the oppose her point of view, they openly told her so and felt ashamed for her.

In summary there is 'always one' but for anybody reading this thread they should know that, in my experience, its few and far between.

Tommy

there is always one somewhere
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
By whom and toward whom?

On this block the Korean hates the Blacks and the queers, the Pole hates the Russians, the Italian hates everyone, the Palestinians and Jews hate each other, the one unhyphenated Canadian hates all non-whites because the fire brigade's quotas keeping him from joining. I don't think there's a single air of racism, rather there are lots of rivalries and tensions sometimes spilling into hatred.

I do agree with you about the rivalries, however I believe you have a better chance of having your resume looked at if your name is Smith as apposed to Singh! There is definatly underlying racism here in Toronto, I cant explain exactly how but there is, the typical white bred Canadian definatly has a problem with us Immigrants comming in and taking their jobs!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Dont get me wrong, I could not care less what someone else thinks, especially these few small minded people. The vast majoroity of folk have been very welcoming. It actually turns out that the 3 guys saying that I was stealing their jobs, were from Calgary, and over in NS working in the oil industry, so I have subsequently made a joke of it and accused them of coming over here and stealing our jobs!

My next door neighbour is an expat and has been here 45 years, I was talking to him on the bus the other day and he said he gets it quite a bit, always has, but when told to go home he can safely say he is home as he has been in Canada longer than the accuser, and usually their parents!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I do agree with you about the rivalries, however I believe you have a better chance of having your resume looked at if your name is Smith as apposed to Singh! There is definatly underlying racism here in Toronto, I cant explain exactly how but there is, the typical white bred Canadian definatly has a problem with us Immigrants comming in and taking their jobs!
As a Canadian I am shocked and disappointed to hear you say that. You will have your resume looked at regardless of your name but because of your qualifications and experience, obviously work inside North America is more respected than outside North America, this was the same when I moved to the UK my North American qualifications were helpful but I needed to complete some other things before I was sorted. In some instances I am sure there is still a lot of racism and that people in positions of hiring are racist but you are making it sound like Toronto is a cesspool of racial hatred. Seriously it is not like that, it is extremely multicultural and a wonderful city.

To be honest saying something like the White Bred Canadian line is racist and doesn't help the situation. Stereotyping White Canadians is also not cool, I have a lot of friends that are White Canadian and they have never been this way with me or been upset at my relatives that have come to live and work in Canada, they would only have a problem if we were coming in and then living on welfare and doing nothing, that I can see. Everyone blames other people for not having a job except themselves thats life, someone who is an immigrant gets a job because you are not qualified or don't want to do it (this could be anything from doctor to bus driver, doesn't matter some people always have to complain).

Last edited by GRiM; Jul 24th 2007 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dont get me wrong, I could not care less what someone else thinks, especially these few small minded people. The vast majoroity of folk have been very welcoming. It actually turns out that the 3 guys saying that I was stealing their jobs, were from Calgary, and over in NS working in the oil industry, so I have subsequently made a joke of it and accused them of coming over here and stealing our jobs!

My next door neighbour is an expat and has been here 45 years, I was talking to him on the bus the other day and he said he gets it quite a bit, always has, but when told to go home he can safely say he is home as he has been in Canada longer than the accuser, and usually their parents!
People just like to complain and no matter where you go there are always a few like that, just ignore it and start finding others to hang around with. IT is 100% small minded, and to be hoenst what education do they have compared to yours? what experience? Next time just remind of that. I have a friend working in the oil sands in Alberta and he was born in Canada, and heard things like go back to Ontario and work there. Amazing how small minded some people can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.