Income tax

Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Khiran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income tax

Hi everyone,
How difficult it is do deal with the taxation issue and should I look for a professional help for the first time declaring my income (if I'll find a job) in the first year.

Cheers,
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income tax

It really depends upon how complex your situation is, but I would say that it is probably a good idea for the first year. Try and find an expat accountant who has moved to Canada and retrained that we they will understand both systems. As an example, Canda accounts (as well have revenue Canada) doen't have a clue about UK endowment policies. I see that you are in Kuwait, but the concept still applies.

It's also a good idea, so that they accurately record all yoy investment values on the date that you arrive, so that in the unfortuante event that you are unable to stay here you avoid being stung by departure taexes.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

Although you probably could deal with it yourself.
Your always best to go with a professional on taxation matters.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Income Tax Returns

Hi,

We've used a tax consultant each time we've submitted our income tax returns. We arrived in 2005.

The first return you do has to be submitted on paper, so Canada Revenue can set you up in the system. I'm assuming this rule hasn't changed since 2005.

I've always received an income tax refund (because my partner isn't earning). The first refund took ages to be processed, but the subsequent ones have come through within 2-4 weeks of submitting.

As previous posters have said, if you have investments outside of Canada (we don't) then get some specific tax advice. Even if it's a simple return like ours, it's nice having someone who's familiar with them doing it!

Sarah
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a UK civil service pension and we own a duplex, receiving rent from the apartments.

I have my spread sheet for the Rental income/expenses and we file tax returns ourselves using 'QuickTax' and it's dead easy.

It's free if income is under something like $20k or $25k but it's not much to pay if you don't qualify.

There are others too. Try some out using theoretical incomes and scenarios and see if it suits you. You can go through to the end without having to commit financially.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Income Tax Returns

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi,

We've used a tax consultant each time we've submitted our income tax returns. We arrived in 2005.

The first return you do has to be submitted on paper, so Canada Revenue can set you up in the system. I'm assuming this rule hasn't changed since 2005.

I've always received an income tax refund (because my partner isn't earning). The first refund took ages to be processed, but the subsequent ones have come through within 2-4 weeks of submitting.

As previous posters have said, if you have investments outside of Canada (we don't) then get some specific tax advice. Even if it's a simple return like ours, it's nice having someone who's familiar with them doing it!

Sarah
Hi, how much does it cost for a tax professioanl to do it? Ball park figure. We are going to Sunshine Coast. What's Powell River like?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax Returns

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Hi, how much does it cost for a tax professioanl to do it? Ball park figure. We are going to Sunshine Coast. What's Powell River like?
Different firms have different price structures. I would charge $75 for a simple individual return up to $150 for more complex and/or self-employed case.