Reload this Page >

Importing a used 2 yr old BMW Motorcycle upon settling in Canada

Importing a used 2 yr old BMW Motorcycle upon settling in Canada

Old Dec 12th 2020, 3:23 am
Just Joined

IanMacG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a used 2 yr old BMW Motorcycle upon settling in Canada

Dear all,

I initially didn’t think that I could import any vehicle less than 15 years of age, with me to Canada. But some information that I read on the CG website suggests that I can if I am settling there snd the bike is CMVSS compliant,
Have any of you done this, or do you have knowledge of the process?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

regards

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2020, 4:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a used 2 yr old BMW Motorcycle upon settling in Canada

Hello and welcome to BE!

You may find these links of use.. What is the CG website you mention? Oh - be aware that for most Provinces you can't 'swap' a UK bike license, you have to take a test.

Importing a motorbike into Canada

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-12-1-eng.html

Vehicles Manufactured for a Foreign Market

90. Vehicles of a regulated class less than 15 years old, and buses manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, that are manufactured for a foreign market (a market other than the US or Mexico), and do not comply with CMVSS are not eligible for importation. There are no allowances in the MVSA or the MVSR that allow for non-compliant vehicles to be modified in order to comply with CMVSS, with the exception of vehicles purchased or originally sold on the US market.
and

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...-states-mexico
If you are considering importing a vehicle you bought in a country other than the U.S. or Mexico, you need to know that:
  • It is a criminal offense to import a vehicle into Canada that does not meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act). Offences and penalties are described in Section 17 of the Act.
  • An inadmissible vehicle will be denied entry into Canada and detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.
You cannot import a vehicle built and certified to meet the vehicle standards of a foreign country because the Motor Vehicle Safety Act doesn't allow you to modify such a vehicle to meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.