Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing my Motorcycles

Importing my Motorcycles

Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:39 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my Motorcycles

Originally Posted by kiddy2ns
Personally I really do not see the the advantage of bikes here
I'm with you on that. I've been riding for quite a few years and racing for many of them. I'd have considered one to commute on but without the ability to legally filter through traffic etc it's all a little pointless when i can sit in my car away from the elements, relax, and listen to music comfortably, and get there in the same time.

I'd be tempted to race again but the circuit selection is pretty dire and the distances a little off putting. I guess i've been spoilt having the likes of Donnington, Oulton, Cadwell, Silverstone, Angelsey, Snetterton, Pembrey, Brands Hatch etc all within an easy drive for me.

The funny thing about this 15 year rule is that vehicles OVER 15 year old are less likely to be as environmentally friendly or as safe as the newer models.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd be tempted to race again but the circuit selection is pretty dire and the distances a little off putting. I guess i've been spoilt having the likes of Donnington, Oulton, Cadwell, Silverstone, Angelsey, Snetterton, Pembrey, Brands Hatch etc all within an easy drive for me.
A mate of mine races. You're right about the distances involved:

http://www.wera.com/schedule/?x=1098

The van is in almost constant motion through the season though not with him in it, he flies up and down so as to rack up some billable time.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A mate of mine races. You're right about the distances involved:

http://www.wera.com/schedule/?x=1098

The van is in almost constant motion through the season though not with him in it, he flies up and down so as to rack up some billable time.
Oh thanks for that Dbd. Looking at the entry fees, it's bloody cheap as chips. The travel would rack up the $'s though no doubt. I'll look into this one.

I was looking at the Parts Canada Superbike championship (well, the 600cc events) but again, the tracks are so far apart although the schedule is spread out more:

http://www.cdnsuperbike.com/index.ph...=710&Itemid=46
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

SNOWDUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Does anyone know if the restrictions apply to off road machines i.e trials bike or motocrossers?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE
Hi, Does anyone know if the restrictions apply to off road machines i.e trials bike or motocrossers?
Shouldnt do, its more to do with road licensing. Not sure of the insurance implications though.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Oh thanks for that Dbd. Looking at the entry fees, it's bloody cheap as chips. The travel would rack up the $'s though no doubt. I'll look into this one.
The bike is sponsored and, with prize money, I think he actually comes out ahead on the on-track cost. However, driving to Vegas, back and then to Texas, allows no time for work and is a lot of gas and motels. iirc it cost about $30,000 for a recent season. Cheaper than flying as a hobby, I suppose.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:43 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cheaper than flying as a hobby, I suppose.
Unfortunately my last season had me spending more time in the air than a pilot i reckon .

Thanks for the link though, i'll certainly have a look further into it.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: riding over here - Because of Alberta's Chinooks I ride 12 months of the year (but not 365 days of the year!), and have to say I've never had a pothole throw me off. I should have thought BMW's could handle potholes! Maybe not I probably add about 10,000km a year split between two bikes - a new bonnie and a Triumph Sprint.

If the bike is over 15 years it's counted as a vintage bike so the emissions tests don't apply.

The import rules are all very silly - especially bringing American made iron over here. Why not look up a Harley forum (I'm sure they exist, despite the antiquated technology of their bikes ) and ask your importing questions there. You might be able to do it through a dealership for example.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We had same prob, hubby has a 2006 haybusa, his baby....and when I spoke to canadian customs they said same thing, vehicles not having same standards..blah blah..was a bunch of shit as far as I was concerned..a returning citizen can bring a $10,000 peice of art home, but not a $10,000 vehicle...what a crock...

and we are not allowed to take our grand childrens carseats either...crap to that am taking them and if a OPP has enough time to stop me and check the sticker on their car seat...then he ain't busy enough..
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
vehicles not having same standards..

Doesn't mean better or worse - it is not a value judgment - just not the same.

You can bring vehicles up to the same standards, but the cost of verifying the work done is prohibitive.

and we are not allowed to take our grand childrens carseats either...crap to that am taking them and if a OPP has enough time to stop me and check the sticker on their car seat...then he ain't busy enough..

The only people who ever checked a car seat, as far as I remember, were the hospital staff after the birth of a new born.
I think it's always cheaper to sell bikes in England and buy the same(ish) here second hand. AFAIK Bikes are much cheaper here.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a thread on importing British bikes back and forth from the US to UK.

With a few chuckles thrown in:

http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang...-get-this.html
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

squargle is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course if you are coming to Canada on a work permit you are allowed a temporary import that does not have to comply with Canada safety standards. If your bikes are nearly old enough then by the time your permanent residence is proccessed they will probably be old enough to be legal. The other thing is that once you've got them into the country on a temporary import you can look at getting them to fully comply with Canada safety standards (they probably do anyway) I imported an 18 year old Kawasaki on temporary import and easily got a Canadian registration document that states that I cannot sell or transfer the vehicle without prior permission from Canada Customs,there is no time limit stated on this document so theoretically I can just keep using the bike indefinitely. This is just an observation and I have no idea of the legal implications with a newer bike but it might just be a back door I presume that once your work permit expires or you get PR you are supposed to export or destroy the vehicle if it is under 15 years
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiddy2ns
Personally I really do not see the the advantage of bikes here...
A couple of my favourite rides.

Last edited by triumphguy; Nov 15th 2009 at 4:41 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Nice TG - all round here is straight and flat!!! The nearest twisty bits are in Gatineau Parc which is usually filled with non-motorized two-wheelers (stands back and waits for flaming).
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd consider a scooter to buzz around town. But it'd be at least 200cc Vespa or something similar. I wouldn't want to ride around on a gutless 50cc thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.