Importing my BMW car from Australia to Canada

Wikiposts

Importing my BMW car from Australia to Canada

Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

ColdAsIce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing my BMW car from Australia to Canada

Hello all,
Looking for a bit of advise here. I am moving to Canada at the end of this year.

I own a BMW, bought it second hand for $40,000 and I now owe $20,000 to my finance company.

I would love to sell the car but looks likely I will end up losing lots of money and have lots of hassle through the finance company.

I am now considering the possibility of importing my car from Australia to Canada.

Has anyone done this before? If so then what are the costs and risks associated with this? and procedure?

What would you do? And what should I do? and why. It’s so easy to say sell the car but I think my finance company wont be impressed with that and like I say it's going to be massive of hassle. Also time is against me.

On average how long does it take to sell a used car? And it’s a right hand drive! Are cars in Canada left hand drives or right? I cant remember.

Thank you,
ColdAsIce
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my BMW car from Australia to Canada

if its newer than 15 years old you can't import it. simple as that

newer cars can only be brought in from the states if they are on the approved list but not from other countries.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Who's the vehicle encumbered with? You cannot take their security offshore (they wouldn't know if you did anyway but still) plus you have to sign a statutory declaration with Customs to confirm the vehicle is free of encumbrances.

Then two issues; if it's less than fifteen years old I don't think you can obtain compliance and also; can you drive a right handed side vehicle over there?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phat-dave
can you drive a right handed side vehicle over there?
Yes, that's no uncommon, but as noted above this car cannot be imported as it's not built to US specs. Only vehicles listed here : www.riv.ca can be imported at less than fifteen years of age.