Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing a motorbike into Canada

Importing a motorbike into Canada

Old May 25th 2018, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a motorbike into Canada

There are a few bikers on this forum, so hopefully you can give me some advice on this.

Last month I passed my UK motorcycle test and am now in a position of buying a bike. I don't know a huge amount about bikes and am obviously a rookie rider. I am hoping to pick up a BMW R850 this weekend to gain some experience and enjoy the roads of the Bavarian Alps during our last summer in Germany.

We will move to Nova Scotia in Q1/Q2 2019 and my intention is to ship the bike in the container with our belongings. The BMW will meet the 15 year old criteria and I understand that any vehicle being imported needs to be spotlessly clean. Are there any other issues to be aware of?

Has anyone shipped a motorbike in a container? How is the bike secured inside?

Any biker related advice on riding in Canada or on shipping would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old May 25th 2018, 9:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorbike into Canada

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
There are a few bikers on this forum, so hopefully you can give me some advice on this.

Last month I passed my UK motorcycle test and am now in a position of buying a bike. I don't know a huge amount about bikes and am obviously a rookie rider. I am hoping to pick up a BMW R850 this weekend to gain some experience and enjoy the roads of the Bavarian Alps during our last summer in Germany.

We will move to Nova Scotia in Q1/Q2 2019 and my intention is to ship the bike in the container with our belongings. The BMW will meet the 15 year old criteria and I understand that any vehicle being imported needs to be spotlessly clean. Are there any other issues to be aware of?

Any biker related advice on riding in Canada or on shipping would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I've just shipped several bikes the opposite way, back to the UK. They were put into custom made wooden crates within a shipping container. Fuel was drained, and batteries disconnected (I did that myself rather than leave it to the shippers). I photographed the bikes prior to being crated so I had a record of condition. Somehow 2 mirrors got broken during the shipping process, but there were no other problems.
Old May 25th 2018, 11:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
You will need to retake the MC test here if you have not had the license for 2+ years. I would also suggest taking the safety course.
Old May 28th 2018, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've just shipped several bikes the opposite way, back to the UK. They were put into custom made wooden crates within a shipping container. Fuel was drained, and batteries disconnected (I did that myself rather than leave it to the shippers). I photographed the bikes prior to being crated so I had a record of condition. Somehow 2 mirrors got broken during the shipping process, but there were no other problems.
I don't suppose any of your machines are similar in dimensions to a BMW R850?! This sounds like the way to go though - I will see if I can find a workshop nearby that will build me a crate nearer the time.

Originally Posted by Aviator
You will need to retake the MC test here if you have not had the license for 2+ years. I would also suggest taking the safety course.
I am aware that I will need to retake the test in NS, but am hoping that I am relatively proficient by next year and mainly have to focus on the Canadian specific road rules rather than handling the bike itself. The Canadian test description online makes it sound fairly similar to the UK test, although some of the comments on this site have suggested that it is less stringent.

Canada doesn't look like the most exciting place to have a bike (with the long winters and a lot of straight roads), but a drive around the Cabot Trail on Cape Bretton last year made me challenge that opinion. I am sure there are pockets of great roads in many areas and I just need to find them.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose any of your machines are similar in dimensions to a BMW R850?! This sounds like the way to go though - I will see if I can find a workshop nearby that will build me a crate nearer the time.
A couple were sports bikes, but the Ducati Monster is probably closest to your BMW. You may find that in order to get insurance on the shipment the crates have to meet specifications provided by the insurer and/or supplied by the shipper.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

If all goes to plan, we will arrive in Halifax in January and we are hoping to import my motorbike with our household belongings. The bike is over 15 years old and therefore meets the age requirements for importing a vehicle and I understand the requirement to clean the bike meticulously before it ships.

Does anyone understand the process for importing the bike and clearing customs? Do I need to inform Transport Canada before the bike arrives or does the age of the bike mean I can just turn up with it. Our shipping agents are including 'customs clearance and delivery' of the bike to our address and the bike will be listed on the manifest of goods.

Is there anything I need to do in advance to make the Canadian customs experience smoother?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If all goes to plan, we will arrive in Halifax in January and we are hoping to import my motorbike with our household belongings. The bike is over 15 years old and therefore meets the age requirements for importing a vehicle and I understand the requirement to clean the bike meticulously before it ships.

Does anyone understand the process for importing the bike and clearing customs? Do I need to inform Transport Canada before the bike arrives or does the age of the bike mean I can just turn up with it. Our shipping agents are including 'customs clearance and delivery' of the bike to our address and the bike will be listed on the manifest of goods.

Is there anything I need to do in advance to make the Canadian customs experience smoother?

Thanks in advance
The bike should be included on the goods to follow list with a full description eg 1997 Make Model cc etc. Include VIN. I am assuming you still have registration certificate or other documents regarding the bike. Now dependent on where you will be living the container is usually shipped by rail to an intermodal facility. Once the container has arrived the shipper should be giving you a copy of the manifest. You take the manifest along with your goods to follow list and dependent on your status Immigration documents (COPR, work permit etc) to your nearest Customs Office for clearance. You then take the stamped cleared manifest back to the shipper or their rep and they can then deliver the container.
Be aware that CBSA can request the vehicle be examined for soil contamination and order it to be cleaned as per CFIA regulations which would require payment from you to have this done.
CBSA will do all the other paperwork involved so you can register the vehicle.

Link to Importing A Vehicle

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-12-1-eng.html
Old Nov 8th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The bike should be included on the goods to follow list with a full description eg 1997 Make Model cc etc. Include VIN. I am assuming you still have registration certificate or other documents regarding the bike. Now dependent on where you will be living the container is usually shipped by rail to an intermodal facility. Once the container has arrived the shipper should be giving you a copy of the manifest. You take the manifest along with your goods to follow list and dependent on your status Immigration documents (COPR, work permit etc) to your nearest Customs Office for clearance. You then take the stamped cleared manifest back to the shipper or their rep and they can then deliver the container.
Be aware that CBSA can request the vehicle be examined for soil contamination and order it to be cleaned as per CFIA regulations which would require payment from you to have this done.
CBSA will do all the other paperwork involved so you can register the vehicle.

Link to Importing A Vehicle

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-12-1-eng.html
Thanks FL for the very helpful information. Yes, I have the V5 ownership document. From the information provided, it appears that when over 15 years old, importing a vehicle is pretty straightforward.

We plan to move to the Fall River area, so the goods will travel by road from the port of Halifax. We are told by the shippers that we need to be in attendance for the goods clearing customs (which is presumably at the port itself). It all sounds a little too easy.....
Old Nov 8th 2018, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FL for the very helpful information. Yes, I have the V5 ownership document. From the information provided, it appears that when over 15 years old, importing a vehicle is pretty straightforward.

We plan to move to the Fall River area, so the goods will travel by road from the port of Halifax. We are told by the shippers that we need to be in attendance for the goods clearing customs (which is presumably at the port itself). It all sounds a little too easy.....
You would probably have to take all paperwork to the Halifax Commercial Office located at
Local Address:
3139 Oxford Street
Halifax NS B3L 0B6

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/of...aux/1-eng.html