Reload this Page >

Importing an English Car

Importing an English Car

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Importing an English Car

Hi Lady Mol,

As a 'classic car widdow' too I can understand your feelings about the Jenson. Hubby was reading this over my shoulder and dribbling over the picture. Guess you have to own a classic car to understand! This link will help:-
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm
and I have found people to be very helpful when they find out what you're trying to do so it would be worth emailling them. I suppose the question is how happy is he to drive it in the snow etc and how he'll feel when it gets chipped (and it WILL get chipped)?
You asked about NI Conts too. My belief is that as soon as you leave the country permanently you cannot make contributions but a trip to the Employment Service office (they should have a Benefits Agency rep there) or the Benefits Office will be able to answer your question. You could ask then how you get a Pension Statement from Newcastle which will tell you what you will be entitled to but its 13 pages of confusion so they'll interpret that too. I had a lady that would be no better off making more conts over 15 years (not enough to make that much of a difference - about 50p a week).

Originally posted by Lady_mol
Hi,
This is my first post, so by way of introduction:
My family and I qualify to come in the Skilled Workers category and are looking to come over in the next year, possibly to Alberta or Vancouver Island, or BC.
We're leaving for much the same reasons as every one in the UK: house prices, rising crime, out-of-control immigration, lack of opportunities for children in the education system.
My first question is:
We own a Jensen car, which is right hand drive, and want to bring it with us. Does anyone know:
- Is it okay to own and drive a right hand drive car?
- Can cars be brought over in a container with other stuff?
- Do they have large import duties on foreign cars (we've owned this one for 6 years)
- If we wanted to sell the car one day, is there an interest in classic British motor cars (RHD) in Canada?

I've lots of other questions, but I'll save them for new threads.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Lady_mol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
The irony
Maybe I should have been more specific. We have no control over illegal immigration in this country and have given an amnesty to almost anyone who wants to come here. This May another 10 countries joined the EU, and they are all eligible to come here as well. There are no education requirements, no funds needed, no sponsorship, no language ability, no evidence of ability to work - all the things Canada requires for entry.

As an example, there is no legal way that anyone attempting to join the British Army can be tested for their English ability. Consequently, some regiments now have 60% of recruits from Commonwealth countries - most of whom do not speak enough English to work adequately in their chosen trade.

I'll put up with being ironic if that means I escape this madness.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smokey
Hi Lady Mol,

As a 'classic car widdow' too I can understand your feelings about the Jenson.

Oh, I know! Six years and now it's stalking me to Canada, too.

I'll check up with the pensions' office and see what's the best thing to do.

Thanks for the link.

J
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:51 am
Just Joined

pchapman is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Jensen is more than 15 years old (I believe they all are), then you can import it. I don't think you'll have to pay tax or duty on it either, because you've owned it for more than a year.

Your provincial government will probably make you safety test it, but if it has been passing MOTs you should have no problem. As to emission tests, check the website of your destination province for details. Some provinces have no emission tests.

Nobody will care if it's RHD.

Your BIG problem is going to be parts. There are lots of classic British car enthusiasts in Canada, but they tend to the orthodox, ie MGs, Jaguars, Triumphs, etc. You might check on the net if there are any Canadian Jensen clubs.

Also, if you're not going to BC, I would recommend garaging the car for the winter and driving what is known here as a "winter beater", an old banger to get you through the winter.

In the east, winter road salt will destroy your car in a heartbreakingly short time. On the praries, it will probably have lots of problems with the cold.

Don't believe the people who say you need 4wd in Canada. You only need it if you live out in the country or go offroading. A good set of winter tires works wonders.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:15 am
Invictus Maneo

Kadett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lady_mol
As an example, there is no legal way that anyone attempting to join the British Army can be tested for their English ability. Consequently, some regiments now have 60% of recruits from Commonwealth countries - most of whom do not speak enough English to work adequately in their chosen trade.

Sorry, but having served short-career commission in the British Army (recently!) myself, this statement is utter drivel. All applicants who don't have many (or any) basic qualifications are tested in both maths and english and officer candidates have to do the same. The British Army also doesn't accept people from many applicants from Commonwealth countries anymore.

I wish you well with your move of course, but if you have some idea that your not going to see foreigners in Canada then you are going to be dissappointed. Only of course in this case they have every much right to be here is as you do.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:28 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Kadett

I wish you well with your move of course, but if you have some idea that your not going to see foreigners in Canada then you are going to be dissappointed.
Actually, outside of the major cities, you will only rarely see a foreigner.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:35 am
mickj

You can't join the RCMP or the Military here if you are not a citizen, you can join the police, firefighters if you are a PR of course.

On the foreigner issue, everybody here is one, apart from the first nation people, and you are bound to see many faces around. So if someone is running away for that reason, then perhaps canada is not the place to run to.

Last edited by mickj; Jun 4th 2004 at 12:09 pm.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:17 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mickj
You can't join the RCMP or the Military here if you are not a citizen, you can join the police, firefighters if you are a PR of course.

On the foreigner issue, everybody here is one, apart from the true natives, and you are bound to see many faces around. So if someone is running away for that reason, then perhaps canada is not the place to run to.
I'm as true a native as any Indian in Canada. Just how many generations have to have been born here for this distinction?
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:00 am
Invictus Maneo

Kadett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by oceanMDX
I'm as true a native as any Indian in Canada. Just how many generations have to have been born here for this distinction?
According to my understanding the British definition and mentality of what the term 'native' actually means is as follows: in the case of the UK people are considered a 'native' if they are born there, but also part of the ethnically indigenous population of the British Isles (i.e their family line is entirely anglo-saxon/ celtic as far as it can be traced back).

Hence in this regard only First Nations can be considered to be truly 'native' Canadians.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:30 am
mañana is my busiest day

Well I'm more familiar with the dictionary definition of the word:

na·tive (nâ¹tîv) adjective
Abbr. nat.
1. Existing in or belonging to one by nature; innate: native ability.
2. Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.
3. Being one's own because of the place or circumstances of one's birth: our native land.
4. Originating, growing, or produced in a certain place or region; indigenous: a plant native to Asia.
5. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of the original inhabitants of a particular place.
6. Occurring in nature pure or uncombined with other substances: native copper.
7. Natural; unaffected: native beauty.
8. Archaic. Closely related, as by birth or race.

My ancestors lived in Waterloo County before it even was a county and before Canada was a country.

For your information, there was no such thing as "Canadian Citizenship" before 1947 in the legal sense. So, in the legal sense, I can say that I am one of the first Canadians.

By the way, the First Nations peoples originated in Asia.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 4th 2004 at 3:56 am.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 7:49 am
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj We have the van and subaru, because its reliable during the winter time, and they are 4 wheels drive. The sube was voted best 4 wheels drive suv this year.
We have a scooby over here, we love it. Are there many Impreza's in Canada? I only saw 1 when I was there last year, in Grand Bend actually.

They are a well built car and the Impreza is a cracking drive esp on the twisty roads round here.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Kadett
Sorry, but having served short-career commission in the British Army (recently!) myself, this statement is utter drivel. All applicants who don't have many (or any) basic qualifications are tested in both maths and english and officer candidates have to do the same. The British Army also doesn't accept people from many applicants from Commonwealth countries anymore.

I wish you well with your move of course, but if you have some idea that your not going to see foreigners in Canada then you are going to be dissappointed. Only of course in this case they have every much right to be here is as you do.
Where did I say I wasn't expecting to see foreigners in Canada? Please don't put words into my mouth.

I don't want to turn this into an immigration thread, as it was meant to be about the car, but I can't let your inaccuracies about the army go. All soldier applicants are only tested that they have a reading / numeracy age of 7 or above. Below that they are not accepted This has only been in existence since 1 April this year. They are not tested in any form of comprehension or speaking of English except anecdotally by the recruiting staff at Army Careers offices or Selection Centres. Only those going into technical trades are tested beyond this for any higher mathematical ability.

They accept recruits from all commonwealth countries either coming independently through the Strand Careers office in London, or selected by the Foreign and Commonwealth Selection Team, which visit commonwealth countries (particularly Fiji and the Caribbean) at least twice a year. Next visit is due this November. There is a pool of over 8000 commonwealth applicants waiting to be processed this year, which would fill all army targets out to the next three years.
If you wish to check any of this for accuracy, I can give you the address of an officer who has served for more than twenty years on a regular commission and is now responsible for recruiting and selection policy within the army.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:18 pm
mickj

There are quite a few Impreza's around, driven by racer-boys, never been a big fan of it myself, and its not exactly a family car is it?
We are quite happy with our forrester, but the missus is thinking the new one (BAJA ), is nicer, i think not.

Originally posted by port7
We have a scooby over here, we love it. Are there many Impreza's in Canada? I only saw 1 when I was there last year, in Grand Bend actually.

They are a well built car and the Impreza is a cracking drive esp on the twisty roads round here.
Attached Thumbnails Importing an English Car-impreza_introduction.jpg  

Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:46 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Just a small add on to Lady_mol's post about the Army.

I have a friend who had recently passed out of Basic training.

Of his intake 80% were from Fiji.

Half of those neede help from the others to be able to make themselves understood in English.

It would appear that the "cannon fodder" mentality has returned to the Army top brass.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by oceanMDX
Actually, outside of the major cities, you will only rarely see a foreigner.

More Irony!

Everyone in Canada is a foreigner........unless you are a native Inuit.

No offence, just pointing out the obvious!

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.