Importing an English Car

Importing an English Car

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Lady_mol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing an English Car

Hi,
This is my first post, so by way of introduction:
My family and I qualify to come in the Skilled Workers category and are looking to come over in the next year, possibly to Alberta or Vancouver Island, or BC.
We're leaving for much the same reasons as every one in the UK: house prices, rising crime, out-of-control immigration, lack of opportunities for children in the education system.
My first question is:
We own a Jensen car, which is right hand drive, and want to bring it with us. Does anyone know:
- Is it okay to own and drive a right hand drive car?
- Can cars be brought over in a container with other stuff?
- Do they have large import duties on foreign cars (we've owned this one for 6 years)
- If we wanted to sell the car one day, is there an interest in classic British motor cars (RHD) in Canada?

I've lots of other questions, but I'll save them for new threads.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

donglemouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't answer all your questions but I'm pretty sure you may need some modifications to make your car legal for canadian roads e.g. emissions

How much trouble/cost this will be is obviously going to be dependent on the type/age of the car.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:01 pm
mickj

Default Re: Importing an English Car

Welcome to the boards ! Why do you want to bring the car over, when you can pick up a 7 seater dodge caravan here for $3000 or more, depending on the year? I have seen a few right hand drives around, but if you haven't driven here before, you will only confuse yourself.

http://www.trader.ca/search/searchmenu.asp?categoryid=2

Car insurance:

http://www.insurancehotline.com/brokeraff.html

Originally posted by Lady_mol
Hi,
This is my first post, so by way of introduction:
My family and I qualify to come in the Skilled Workers category and are looking to come over in the next year, possibly to Alberta or Vancouver Island, or BC.
We're leaving for much the same reasons as every one in the UK: house prices, rising crime, out-of-control immigration, lack of opportunities for children in the education system.
My first question is:
We own a Jensen car, which is right hand drive, and want to bring it with us. Does anyone know:
- Is it okay to own and drive a right hand drive car?
- Can cars be brought over in a container with other stuff?
- Do they have large import duties on foreign cars (we've owned this one for 6 years)
- If we wanted to sell the car one day, is there an interest in classic British motor cars (RHD) in Canada?

I've lots of other questions, but I'll save them for new threads.

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by mickj
Why do you want to bring the car over, when you can pick up a 7 seater dodge caravan here for $3000 or more...
I'd take a Jensen over a minivan.

Lady_mol: the process is complex involving no less than three federal government agencies and then a range of issues at the provincial level. I would strongly recommend finding an experienced agent to handle it.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks

Actually, I'd rather sell the car here before we come, but it's been a labour of love - totally restored by my husband over the last six years. He's afraid that with the rising fuel prices here, it's not a good time to be selling a car that does 12 miles to the gallon!
I've driven all over the world, so I'm not particularly worried about the technicalities of driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
I'll check out some agencies to handle the transfer for us - thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:24 pm
mickj

No doubt they are cute, and their owners love them, but its not exactly a family car, and there is the winter to think about, all that snow.

Oh....insurance as well, considering no one is going to take your history from back home into consideration in the first year. You did say you have a family right? So a van might be good for the time you are here, for shopping, snow driving and trips.

Just a thought....
Attached Thumbnails Importing an English Car-car.gif  

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

No doubt they are cute, and their owners love them, but its not exactly a family car, and there is the winter to think about, all that snow.

Oh....insurance as well, considering no one is going to take your history from back home into consideration in the first year. You did say you have a family right? So a van might be good for the time you are here, for shopping, snow driving and trips.

Just a thought....

I'm dragging husband in from the garden to READ and DIGEST! Needless to say, I don't want a Jensen HERE let alone in Canada.... I'm looking forward to a big, roomy family car (4 x 4) I think he might be talked into selling it, if enough pressure is put on him.
Oh, apparently, there are people he would rather kill than NOT bring his vehicle to Canada.
I think I'm onto a losing battle here. We'll probably end up having it sat in a garage - and at least we will have one it will fit into, unlike in England (my husband has to roll underneath the car to get from one side of the garage to the other) - and buy another more suitable car for actual use.
Nice picture - ours is a saloon and silver....
J
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:46 pm
mickj

What is he doing in the garden at this time of the night, having a fag? Unless that thing has a 4 wheel drive, there is no need for it here, especially where you guys are thinking of going, you will be sliding off the road.

We have the van and subaru, because its reliable during the winter time, and they are 4 wheels drive. The sube was voted best 4 wheels drive suv this year.

I'm dragging husband in from the garden to READ and DIGEST! Needless to say, I don't want a Jensen HERE let alone in Canada.... I'm looking forward to a big, roomy family car (4 x 4) I think he might be talked into selling it, if enough pressure is put on him.
Oh, apparently, there are people he would rather kill than NOT bring his vehicle to Canada.
I think I'm onto a losing battle here. We'll probably end up having it sat in a garage - and at least we will have one it will fit into, unlike in England (my husband has to roll underneath the car to get from one side of the garage to the other) - and buy another more suitable car for actual use.
Nice picture - ours is a saloon and silver....
J
Attached Thumbnails Importing an English Car-sube.gif  

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:50 pm
mickj

Here is their new model, for when you go camping, bicycle for trips, and shopping for furniture, its called the BAJA
Attached Thumbnails Importing an English Car-baja_introduction.jpg  

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

What is he doing in the garden at this time of the night, having a fag? Unless that thing has a 4 wheel drive, there is no need for it here, especially where you guys are thinking of going, you will be sliding off the road.

We have the van and subaru, because its reliable during the winter time, and they are 4 wheels drive. The sube was voted best 4 wheels drive suv this year.
It's still really light here! It's 9 o'clock and not much darker than daytime really. He gave up a 40 a day habit 18 months ago (and drinking 6 years ago) so you can see why I tolerate the Jensen habit! I adore the Subaru - and the beach! It's such a lifestyle vehicle. I used to live in the States and had a Grand Cherokee. We've had a couple of Range Rovers a few years ago here. Love the lifestyle vehicles.
I'm feeling guilty about hogging a thread about cars now. Do you know, by any chance, about UK state pensions? I want to keep up my Nat Ins payments until I reach 60/65. Is that possible? I'll apply for Canadian Citizenship as soon as the 3 year qualifying period is over. Will I still be entitled to my British pension (talk about wanting it all!).
J
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:12 pm
mickj

Yes we love the subaru too, and some come with a GPS satellite if you want, for when you are planning a trip out of province. You do want it all don't you Do realise though, that to apply for the citizenship, you have to be present here for 1095 days before you can apply.

RE: uk pensions, checkout the link below for details:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/home.htm

It's still really light here! It's 9 o'clock and not much darker than daytime really. He gave up a 40 a day habit 18 months ago (and drinking 6 years ago) so you can see why I tolerate the Jensen habit! I adore the Subaru - and the beach! It's such a lifestyle vehicle. I used to live in the States and had a Grand Cherokee. We've had a couple of Range Rovers a few years ago here. Love the lifestyle vehicles.
I'm feeling guilty about hogging a thread about cars now. Do you know, by any chance, about UK state pensions? I want to keep up my Nat Ins payments until I reach 60/65. Is that possible? I'll apply for Canadian Citizenship as soon as the 3 year qualifying period is over. Will I still be entitled to my British pension (talk about wanting it all!).
J

Last edited by mickj; Jun 3rd 2004 at 8:21 pm.

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

We have friends who brought a Volvo over from Germany, they allowed them to drive it only for a few months and then it had to be sent back to Germany at the owners expense....it didn't not meet the pollution standards for Canada. So they lost out.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

We have just made a payment to British Pensions it was about 350 pounds which converted to close to $900. dollars....wow I hope this is going to be a good deal in the end!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

We're leaving for much the same reasons as every one in the UK...out-of-control immigration...
The irony
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If then Jensen is over 15 years old it can come in under a classic car status..

You shouldn’t need to pay duty on it..
Parts will be fun, bring plenty with you…make sure you know a good UK supplier of parts before you come…
Being right hand drive will only be an issue if the visibility is poor in the car, and in the case of the Jensen I believe it rather good…
I would look into insurance , maybe contact a British car owners group in BC if that where your going for some tip’s… keep in mind that it may need to sit in a garage until you get some Canadian insurance history before its worth insuring it to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.