Reload this Page >

Importing a car from the US

Importing a car from the US

Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:32 pm
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a car from the US

Hi all,
As cars in canada are quite Expensive is it a worthwhile Investment Importing One from the US ...Import duty/Federal tax etc
Any Help Appreciated
chris
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Re: Importing a car from the US

A friend of mine did this and found it easy....

He bought the truck at a dealer in the US and they arranged all the paper work for the export to Canada, all he had to do was to pay the costs and drive to the border and declare it as an import.... He saved a few thousand dollars
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aqua
A friend of mine did this and found it easy....

He bought the truck at a dealer in the US and they arranged all the paper work for the export to Canada, all he had to do was to pay the costs and drive to the border and declare it as an import.... He saved a few thousand dollars
If there is a substantial saving to be made then i think this is my way forward ...Would the clocks be in miles or K's ..
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

The clock is in miles but they normally have the Ks the same as the UK, you may have to do a few mods but the dealer can help on that.....

I think he saved about $9k on a used Silverado truck
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:54 pm

The clock is in miles but they normally have the Ks the same as the UK, you may have to do a few mods but the dealer can help on that.....

I think he saved about $9k on a used Silverado truck
Sounds like a worthwhile project ...i Shall look into it Further
Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

You have to get it to Canadian standard though. I think it's around $800-$1000 for everything i.e.French language seat belt stickers.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
You have to get it to Canadian standard though. I think it's around $800-$1000 for everything i.e.French language seat belt stickers.
Is this applied to all provinces ?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tattoo99
Is this applied to all provinces ?
Bien sur.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have done it a few times but with older cars. As long as you have the paperwork in order it's a simple process. You have to sort out the daytime running lights, for some vehicles it's just a switch and maybe one or two other things.

One of the mechanic s where OH works had to get a vehicle out of Province checked the other week, it didnt have the sticker on the sun visor in French as well as English, the French Canadian, doing the check, checked the sticker and failed the out of Province, so the guy took the car to the other Canadian Tire and it passed with no mention of the sticker
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The US speedometer will show mph (big font) and kph (small font). The US odometer will be in miles though. It looks like you have to convert those to metric.

Some useful info here:
http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...sch-iv-101.htm

(17) Speedometers shall be calibrated in kilometres per hour.

(18) Odometers and trip record counters shall be calibrated in kilometres.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 31st 2013 at 4:28 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

... and make sure what you buy is not a Katrina or the like write off. Lots of those on the market, even finding their way into Canada.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The US speedometer will show mph (big font) and kph (small font). The US odometer will be in miles though. It looks like you have to convert those to metric.

Some useful info here:
http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...sch-iv-101.htm

(17) Speedometers shall be calibrated in kilometres per hour.

(18) Odometers and trip record counters shall be calibrated in kilometres.
I imported two cars. I had the light switch disabled and French stickers added per regulation. Neither had the odometer changed (well you couldn't could you, converting miles to metri-wotsits and then clocking to the same number isn't feasible on a modern car).
Old Mar 31st 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
One of the mechanic s where OH works had to get a vehicle out of Province checked the other week, it didnt have the sticker on the sun visor in French as well as English, the French Canadian, doing the check, checked the sticker and failed the out of Province, so the guy took the car to the other Canadian Tire and it passed with no mention of the sticker
i was going to say this...find a mechanic who isn't French Canadian to do the OOP and you probably wouldn't need to worry about the stickers
Old Mar 31st 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I imported two cars. I had the light switch disabled and French stickers added per regulation. Neither had the odometer changed (well you couldn't could you, converting miles to metri-wotsits and then clocking to the same number isn't feasible on a modern car).
i know my Jap import Eunos Roadster in the UK was converted the other way (KMH to MPH) and the odo had been corrected, with all sorts of BIMTA certification to prove the mileage was genuine...but they really frown upon odometer tampering over here!
Old Mar 31st 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

My friends truck didn't need the mph/kph change as it was already displayed..... Best check first

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.