Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing a car from France to Canada

Importing a car from France to Canada

Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

oliver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a car from France to Canada

Thinking of shipping my car from France to Canada, anybody know who to talk to to find out about the import rules and car modifications needed?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 4:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car from France to Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by oliver
Thinking of shipping my car from France to Canada, anybody know who to talk to to find out about the import rules and car modifications needed?
Unless it is over 15 years old, or was built in the US or Mexico your going to be out of luck. You can look at www.riv.ca

PMM
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Unless it is over 15 years old, or was built in the US or Mexico your going to be out of luck. You can look at www.riv.ca

PMM
That site deals only with the US but there are privately imported vehicles from other countries in Canada ; I doubt that it's economically sensible to bring a Renault but it can be done.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oliver
If you're moving to Quebec, you could call the Delegation in Paris - they're pretty helpful.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

PMM
This site appears to deal with imports from the U.S. only.

Try this link for some contact info for Transport Canada

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
This site appears to deal with imports from the U.S. only.

Try this link for some contact info for Transport Canada

Cheers
Steve
That site seems to contradict itself, it says in the opening paragraph :

"Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada."

I know that's not true, Morgans are an obvious exception, so I read on :

"Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained."

That's not the whole story either. For example, my colleague across the room has an SUV he bought in Saudi which had no statement of compliance but which was admitted without trouble. I suppose that, like most matters to do with the border, it's all going to depend on the whim of the officer on the day.