Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The importance of a PR Card

The importance of a PR Card

Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default The importance of a PR Card

There has been many debates about whether or not we need a PR card to get back to Canada as we are from the UK.

I would like to share the experience of someone who is not a member of this forum who now knows the answer to the question.

They are a PR from the UK and married to a Canadian citizen. They have lived in Canada for many years and they let their PR card lapse some time ago.

They recently went on vacation to the Caribean but were refused entry on their return flight by the airline because they did not have a valid PR card. They are of course back now, but their return was delayed whilst they sorted things out.

They had travelled many times in the past without any problems, but this time had the misfortune to get the wrong person at the airport, and the law was not on their side.

Of course the person who told me this could have been lying, and this could have been just an excuse to get to extend their vacation by a week. But I coose to believe them.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The importance of a PR Card

Originally Posted by britsnake
There has been many debates about whether or not we need a PR card to get back to Canada as we are from the UK.

I would like to share the experience of someone who is not a member of this forum who now knows the answer to the question.

They are a PR from the UK and married to a Canadian citizen. They have lived in Canada for many years and they let their PR card lapse some time ago.

They recently went on vacation to the Caribean but were refused entry on their return flight by the airline because they did not have a valid PR card. They are of course back now, but their return was delayed whilst they sorted things out.

They had travelled many times in the past without any problems, but this time had the misfortune to get the wrong person at the airport, and the law was not on their side.

Of course the person who told me this could have been lying, and this could have been just an excuse to get to extend their vacation by a week. But I coose to believe them.
Whether the law was on their side or not is one for the lawyers to chew over, but if the IO or airline official has it in their head that they need to see a card its a brave traveler who will challenge them over it. (more so the IO than an airline jobsworth)

This strikes me as a different situation to the usual scenario presented here of returning from the UK with a plane full of other UK passport holders traveling as visitors (practically, not legally), but a salient lesson none the less. I dont think anyone is recommending letting a PR card expire and doing nothing about it, but if you must travel without it for some reason to and from the UK, you are exceptionally unlikely to have a problem.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I see A148 of IRPA has reared its ugly head.
Unless it was a Migration Integrity Officer requesting the airline not to carry that person then it would be the airlines decision not to carry that person.

As I have stated before travelling without a valid PR card can cause problems. I rest my case.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why there would be a big deal not just to apply for a new PR card before it expires.
You got to wonder if you could get in with out it what would the point of the card being available be?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rixy
Not sure why there would be a big deal not just to apply for a new PR card before it expires.
You got to wonder if you could get in with out it what would the point of the card being available be?
Taken from the CIC website
The Permanent Resident Card

If you intend to travel, the Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).

If you leave the country, you will need this card to return to Canada. If you do not plan to leave the country, you do not need the card.

Plus with it expiring every 5 years its a bit of a money maker for the Feds.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The application for renewal is supposed to include an additional ID form which cannot be downloaded. I requested one from CIC on 26/1/12. No sign of it yet.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had the airline ask to see my PR card- nor would I expect them to. It's not their job to police the borders.
However, I do get asked for it at Customs/Immigration every time we re-enter Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jericho
I've never had the airline ask to see my PR card- nor would I expect them to. It's not their job to police the borders.
However, I do get asked for it at Customs/Immigration every time we re-enter Canada.
Actually it is. An airline that carries an individual who is inadmissible can be fined and is responsible for detention and removal costs.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
If they had a valid passport then they had sufficient documentation to meet CIC requirements to board a Canada bound flight. That has been well documented, so the law is in fact on their side.

If they are out of pocket they may wish to sue the airline. In a small claims court (if Canada has such a thing) it may not cost too much.

Out of interest, which airline was it? Shouldn't be Air Canada as they make it quite clear that passport is ok.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:52 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The application for renewal is supposed to include an additional ID form which cannot be downloaded. I requested one from CIC on 26/1/12. No sign of it yet.
I downloaded one on Saturday maybe you should give it another go?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I downloaded one on Saturday maybe you should give it another go?
You're right, it's changed. There was an on line order form for the supplementary form when I did it or you had to phone. The page shows it's been modified - even if it shows a modified date two days before I was doing it.

Anyway, thanx.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It takes forever! My PR card was stolen (along with my purse and the rest of my ID) in November. It took 4 weeks for them to send me the relevant paperwork that they have to mail to you. I applied for my replacement PR card on 1 Dec and still haven't heard anything back. Am getting worried as I have a trip to Seattle planned next month....
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:55 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
It takes forever! My PR card was stolen (along with my purse and the rest of my ID) in November. It took 4 weeks for them to send me the relevant paperwork that they have to mail to you. I applied for my replacement PR card on 1 Dec and still haven't heard anything back. Am getting worried as I have a trip to Seattle planned next month....
Driving across is fine !!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
If they had a valid passport then they had sufficient documentation to meet CIC requirements to board a Canada bound flight. That has been well documented, so the law is in fact on their side.

If they are out of pocket they may wish to sue the airline. In a small claims court (if Canada has such a thing) it may not cost too much.

Out of interest, which airline was it? Shouldn't be Air Canada as they make it quite clear that passport is ok.
Yes the law might well be on their side in the end but it doesnt help them when they are denied boarding and all that they have to do to get back to Canada.
Im guessing going the small claims route is going to cost more than the $50 which is the cost of renewing their PR card.
The law is only on their side if we are arguing valid travel documents such as a valid passport. The airlines will argue that the valid passport is not proof that the holder is a PR of Canada as only the PR card or COPR or other valid certificate is proof of PR.
Im guessing that the airline was either Westjet, Sunwing or Air Transat.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im guessing that the airline was either Westjet, Sunwing or Air Transat.
I'm with you there. I can imagine it being more of a problem flying with a charter airline from a caribbean destination that AC, BA etc out of Heathrow.

There is no argument that you should maintain your valid PR card. But as Iain says, chances are that if you have to travel without it you should be OK. Whether a Caribbean holiday is a have to travel situation is another matter.

That reminds me, I must get off my bum and apply for my Canadian passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.