Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration myths

Immigration myths

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:47 pm
Glaswegian

Default Immigration myths

1) Buying a house will make you more attractive to employers ...
... utter nonsense ... you'll just burn money on a property that could eventually be out of your budget

2) Take the job on low money now and they'll give you a huge payrise later ...
... only if you work for the Fairy Godmother ... you run the risk of being laid off when you ask for that payrise

Any others?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:01 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration myths

Canadian winters are painful.

True they are a lot longer but I actually find them a lot more painless than UK winters. Give me the clear blue skies and the snow over the grey ones with drizzle and rain any day.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:37 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Iginla
Canadian winters are painful.

True they are a lot longer but I actually find them a lot more painless than UK winters. Give me the clear blue skies and the snow over the grey ones with drizzle and rain any day.
My sister in law came over to see us in the Uk a couple of winters ago. At first she was boasting about the extreem temperatures she was used to - after about 3 weeks the winter here was getting to her. She said she had never expeirienced such horrible damp cold conditions and looked forward to the crisp dry cold winters of London Ontario
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
1) Buying a house will make you more attractive to employers ...
... utter nonsense ... you'll just burn money on a property that could eventually be out of your budget
Agreed.

2) Take the job on low money now and they'll give you a huge payrise later ...
... only if you work for the Fairy Godmother ... you run the risk of being laid off when you ask for that payrise

Any others?
I can't totally agree with you on that one - although it depends on the employer. After you have proved yourself to any employer in Canada, it is not unresonable to ask what pay increases you can expect in the future. As far as I'm concerned, any company that would laid you off because you made such an enquiry, that company is being run by an asshole.

Here's myth #3: Canadian employers will be utterly impressed and totally blown away by qualifications and experience obtained in Europe.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX

Here's myth #3: Canadian employers will be utterly impressed and totally blown away by qualifications and experience obtained in Europe.
Or alternatively, Canadian employers will be totally non plussed by European qualifications and experience. (its not quite as grim as it is made out to be here sometimes)

Myth #4 Legal protection for canadian employees and workers rights are as strong in Canada as they are in the UK.

The reality is you can be fired at any time without warning, with no explanation. "Temporary" lay offs are unfortunately pretty common too.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 31st 2004 at 7:59 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:24 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
The reality is you can be fired at any time without warning, with no explanation. "Temporary" lay offs are unfortunately pretty common too.
Of course, that's not the case if you are a member of a union. If you are not in a union, yes, an employer can fire you, but doing that can have fairly severe consequences for the employer if done improperly. The employer had better not violate human rights (or they will run in trouble with human rights commissions). If you are a manager (depending on the province) and are fired without "just cause" (eg. criminal activity) the employer may have to pay a year of severance. If none of these cases applies to you, then sure, an employer can give you a few weeks notice (or a few weeks pay in lieu of that) and tell you "you're fired". Then of course, you can sue without warning for improper dismissal. Whether you have a case, well that depends.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 31st 2004 at 9:47 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:46 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree more with iaink.

Canadian labour laws are a pathetic joke.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

So tell me - how do things differ in the UK? I always hear about how things are better but I'd be interested in how they are better.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:30 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by lizwil98
So tell me - how do things differ in the UK? I always hear about how things are better but I'd be interested in how they are better.
You daren't fire anyone in the UK ... that's why UK businesses carry quite so much dead weight.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 12:05 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
You daren't fire anyone in the UK ... that's why UK businesses carry quite so much dead weight.
The UK armed forces call their weapon (The SA-80) the "civil servant"

It dosen't work and you can't fire it.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
UK law protects workers by requiring writen notice of disciplinary action, and writen warnings that performance in specific areas needs to improve before termination occurs. None of this happens in Canada (Ontario) and it is almost impossible to prove improper dismissal here.

Employees have more rights under the law in the UK, and the canadian labour code is laughably weak. Only recently has it become a criminal offence for managers to continually overlook requests for safety action to be taken, before this years the worst that could happen was a fine, now at least some prison time is on the cards. Took a lot of dead miners out East to get that far!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Of course, that's not the case if you are a member of a union. If you are not in a union, yes, an employer can fire you, but doing that can have fairly severe consequences for the employer if done improperly. The employer had better not violate human rights (or they will run in trouble with human rights commissions). If you are a manager (depending on the province) and are fired without "just cause" (eg. criminal activity) the employer may have to pay a year of severance. If none of these cases applies to you, then sure, an employer can give you a few weeks notice (or a few weeks pay in lieu of that) and tell you "you're fired". Then of course, you can sue without warning for improper dismissal. Whether you have a case, well that depends.
Unions are very weak here, as is also true in the UK now. Law is generally stacked in the employers favour. Perhaps the only exception is the CAW. Labour law does not really touch on human rights. I was fired because "it wasnt working out" after more than two years in a job, and positive work reviews. 6 months later a colleage suffered the same fate. Started to see a pattern at that point and didnt wqorry about it so much. It was just politics, a new manager bringing in his cronies and shaking things up. Absolutely nothing I could do. Employment lawyer confirmed as much. But that would have never stood up in the UK, with no warnings. Fortunatly the company paid in excess of the legal minimuim compensation of one weeks pay for each year served!!! Also fortunately I walked back into my old job, so not too much harm done financially, but your confidendce takes a beating when it happens out of the blue.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:34 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
Fortunatly the company paid in excess of the legal minimuim compensation of one weeks pay for each year served!!! Also fortunately I walked back into my old job, so not too much harm done financially, but your confidendce takes a beating when it happens out of the blue.
I got that too ... enough of a pay-off to almost keep me until I got another job.

Your confidence in the Canadian way of doing things really takes a beating when you're on the sharp end of something like that.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Myth # 5

Women are more promiscuous in Canada.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:24 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Myth # 5

Women are more promiscuous in Canada.
A slight improvement on the Churchill Vs Ghandi trash talk quote from yesterday.

How about?

Myth #6
Our neighbours to the south, the citizens of the US aren't troublemakers and have the best interests of the global community at heart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.