Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration myths

Immigration myths

Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:03 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immigration myths

Originally Posted by iaink
Unions are very weak here, as is also true in the UK now. Law is generally stacked in the employers favour. Perhaps the only exception is the CAW. Labour law does not really touch on human rights. I was fired because "it wasnt working out" after more than two years in a job, and positive work reviews. 6 months later a colleage suffered the same fate. Started to see a pattern at that point and didnt wqorry about it so much. It was just politics, a new manager bringing in his cronies and shaking things up. Absolutely nothing I could do. Employment lawyer confirmed as much. But that would have never stood up in the UK, with no warnings. Fortunatly the company paid in excess of the legal minimuim compensation of one weeks pay for each year served!!! Also fortunately I walked back into my old job, so not too much harm done financially, but your confidendce takes a beating when it happens out of the blue.
I won't disagree with you that it's harder to fire someone in the UK than in Canada. Nor will I disagree that labor laws in Canada tend to be employer friendly. However, I will disagree with you that unions here - in general - don't (or can't) enhance worker rights. I will also strongly disagree with your implication that employee rights are not enhanced by human rights legislation in Canada. More importantly, the Supreme Court of Canada disagrees with your view. Here's one example:

http://www.lancasterhouse.com/suprem..._B%2CC%2CD.asp

Although I forget the exact details, I remember a human rights case in Alberta several years ago. Basically, the employer was a retailer whose most important sales period was during the Christmas season. The employee refused to work during the Christmas season because it was against his religious beliefs. Of course he was fired for insubordination. However, the employee complained to the Human Rights Commission and won his case!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 1st 2004 at 3:28 am.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:55 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by liftman
The UK armed forces call their weapon (The SA-80) the "civil servant"

It dosen't work and you can't fire it.
I was a civil servant until yesterday. I am now unemployed.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 12:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It should not be necessary to use human rights legislation to protect workers from unfair dismissal, that should be covered by labour laws. The comparison here was between the UK and Canada. If you havent experienced the situation in both places, its hard to know just how different the situation is between them. Job security in canada compared to the UK is extremely tenuous.

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I won't disagree with you that it's harder to fire someone in the UK than in Canada. Nor will I disagree that labor laws in Canada tend to be employer friendly. However, I will disagree with you that unions here - in general - don't (or can't) enhance worker rights. I will also strongly disagree with your implication that employee rights are not enhanced by human rights legislation in Canada. More importantly, the Supreme Court of Canada disagrees with your view. Here's one example:

http://www.lancasterhouse.com/suprem..._B%2CC%2CD.asp

Although I forget the exact details, I remember a human rights case in Alberta several years ago. Basically, the employer was a retailer whose most important sales period was during the Christmas season. The employee refused to work during the Christmas season because it was against his religious beliefs. Of course he was fired for insubordination. However, the employee complained to the Human Rights Commission and won his case!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:59 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
It should not be necessary to use human rights legislation to protect workers from unfair dismissal, that should be covered by labour laws. The comparison here was between the UK and Canada. If you havent experienced the situation in both places, its hard to know just how different the situation is between them. Job security in canada compared to the UK is extremely tenuous.
I think it's not really a Canada vs. the UK issue (i.e. differences in labor laws). It's more a North America vs. Europe issue. In North America, it's easier to fire someone than in Europe. Partly as a consequence, North American employers are not as reluctant to hire in the first place because they are given greater flexibility to manage their workforce. This gives workers more opportunities to obtain employment, but they can lose their job more easily too.

Your case really sucks, but there are good and bad employers everywhere. The North American business culture and laws, don't give you as much protection as you would have had in Europe.

I remember a news report regarding Europe (I think it was from Spain) that mentioned business was extremely reluctant to hire - despite a need - because once they hired someone, it was so expensive to ever lay them off or fire them. Whereas, in N.A., business would have gone on a hiring binge.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 1st 2004 at 2:06 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 11:11 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Your confidence in the Canadian way of doing things really takes a beating when you're on the sharp end of something like that.
You got that right!!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:03 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by indybrit
You got that right!!!!!
NA employers are very much into "employee loyalty", all the while knowing that they can fire you at the drop of a hat ... "loyal employers" are nice to find.

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 2:25 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
NA employers are very much into "employee loyalty", all the while knowing that they can fire you at the drop of a hat ... "loyal employers" are nice to find.
I have one as a friend. When he operated his company (with a partner) one of their top managers was given a $500,000 retirement bonus - when they didn't have to give the guy a thing.