Reload this Page >

Immigration help

Wikiposts

Immigration help

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

crusaderrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Immigration help

My girlfriend and I applied for permanent residence from the UK in April of this year. I am now wondering if it is possible to move to Canada I guess ideally on a temporary working visa, while the application progresses. Is this a realistic possibility?

Any advice on this or a way of getting over early most gratefully received
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immigration help

Originally Posted by crusaderrabbit
My girlfriend and I applied for permanent residence from the UK in April of this year. I am now wondering if it is possible to move to Canada I guess ideally on a temporary working visa, while the application progresses. Is this a realistic possibility?

I did this - in a slightly modified way. I got a job stransfer from UK to Canada. My employers got me the work visa - so I can stay in Canada as long as I work for them. Now that I'm here - I've applied for PR. In a way I'm luckier than most - my wife is Canadian, so the PR application should be quicker.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:16 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth a try but not easy to achieve. My wife and I tried the same approach after we applied for PR. We wrote of a stack of letters and emails -and suprise, suprise didn't get one reply. Unless you have very specific skills that are in short supply here, you may find it very difficult. Have a go though, you may get lucky. Otherwise its the old 18 month wait - can believe we were in limbo for so long!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's realistic if you can find a sponsoring employer - otherwise it's not.

A student permit may be another option if you can afford the cost.

Jeremy
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:43 am
Enjoying being in Canada!

ExBritExAfrican is an unknown quantity at this point

My own experience is that I came to Canada on temporary work permit and then applied for PR. That gives you Canadian experience which helps your PR application. Besides, it is not really a wait when you are already in Canada (but it is still a big relief to get the PR before the temp work permit expires!).

So start applying - it is better than sitting and waiting for 18 months +
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:47 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritExAfrican
My own experience is that I came to Canada on temporary work permit and then applied for PR. That gives you Canadian experience which helps your PR application. Besides, it is not really a wait when you are already in Canada (but it is still a big relief to get the PR before the temp work permit expires!).

So start applying - it is better than sitting and waiting for 18 months +
Is there not a rule that states you can't apply for PR and a temporary work visa at the same time?

Not sure.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:59 am
Enjoying being in Canada!

ExBritExAfrican is an unknown quantity at this point

Not at all. You can apply for both at the same time. The only snag is that they would know that you are planning to live in Canada permanenty so you have to demonstrate (as I have done) that should your PR application fail, you have something to fall back on and leave the country when your temp residence status expires.