Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice
Default Re: Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
On re-reading this post, it occurs to me to wonder if an alternative to uprooting your family isn't staring you in the face?
That was meant tongue in cheek really although I do work part time as doing our daughter's early intervention programme meant one of us had to stay at home. So I work from home in the mornings and go into the City on Fridays. DH has Friday's off and looks after DD while i'm off my 'bum'.

What I meant was that I was prepared to take on the full time roll in Canada if need be. The only reason I didn't here is that my firm were much more flexible re my working part time and at home to accommodate the tremendous change that came with having a child with special needs. From what i've been reading I doubt we'll have any of that in Canada and it has gone firmly on my 'con' list.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do look at that. Look also at the long term possibilities for an austic person in Canada. Then, if you've a mind to, move despite the prospects for your child.
Sadly the issues that arise once a child on the spectrum grows up are pretty universal. It's like they think once they are 18 all their difficulties disappear. The UK isn't much better than Canada in that respect. So its important for us to try to set up a support system for her just in case. For now she is improving tremendously and her autism would be considered 'mild' (in fact she would probably be diagnosed with PDD-NOS if we lived in Canada as they won't use that diagnosis here). But as any of you know with kids, disabled or not, once they hit their teens you have no idea how they will turn out when they come out the other end

Life is a crap shoot ain't it?!

So, for those keeping tabs, i'd say we're 50:50 at the moment. As we want to time moving with the start of a school year we have another 8 months before we would apply for DH's residency stuff so lots of time to think, plan, change our minds etc.

BTW, Alberta winters can be dreary and 'ugly' but they're not much worse than the grey dreariness of a UK winter with daylight but no sunlight (this freaky year excluded). At least the sun shines in Edmonton (albeit for only a few hours given how far north they are!). And I do have a soft spot for the Prairie landscape, i think its stunning. However, Derbyshire wins on looks alone, I love it there.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Gal
As we want to time moving with the start of a school year we have another 8 months before we would apply for DH's residency stuff so lots of time to think, plan, change our minds etc.
You mention moving for a new school year, so I assume that you are thinking of Sept time? If so, do be aware that you'll need to apply for your husband's PR asap if that's the case as it'll take 6 months or so to obtain.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You mention moving for a new school year, so I assume that you are thinking of Sept time? If so, do be aware that you'll need to apply for your husband's PR asap if that's the case as it'll take 6 months or so to obtain.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
We thought it would take around 12 months, didn't know it could be done that fast. We can't move for another 18 months anyway as our daughter is currently doing some private therapy which has helped her a lot and I don't want to interrupt that.

The website said it could take 12 months for the spouse visa/residency papers and then we'd have 6 months to move. Thanks for letting me know it can be faster...will have to rethink when to apply then to make sure we can arrive just before September.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We thought it would take around 12 months, didn't know it could be done that fast. We can't move for another 18 months anyway as our daughter is currently doing some private therapy which has helped her a lot and I don't want to interrupt that.
Ah, I see, sorry for misunderstanding - I thought you mean moving this Sept.

The website said it could take 12 months for the spouse visa/residency papers and then we'd have 6 months to move. Thanks for letting me know it can be faster...will have to rethink when to apply then to make sure we can arrive just before September.
Takes around 6 months, if it's the CIC website you're looking at then don't forget the timelines are historical so often inaccurate (and if it's any other website then don't look at it, only use the official CIC one!). There is a timeline thread in the immigration section of the forum for spousal sponsorship that may be useful, some cases last year were even as quick as 2 or 3 months, but seems to be taking about 6 months at the mo.

And you won't have 6 months to move, you'll have 12 months from the date of medical in which to 'land' and activate your husband's PR. But he doesn't have to move at all, he can activate his visa then turn around on the next plane and come straight back to the UK if he wants!

HTH.

Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see, sorry for misunderstanding - I thought you mean moving this Sept.

Takes around 6 months, if it's the CIC website you're looking at then don't forget the timelines are historical so often inaccurate (and if it's any other website then don't look at it, only use the official CIC one!). There is a timeline thread in the immigration section of the forum for spousal sponsorship that may be useful, some cases last year were even as quick as 2 or 3 months, but seems to be taking about 6 months at the mo.

And you won't have 6 months to move, you'll have 12 months from the date of medical in which to 'land' and activate your husband's PR. But he doesn't have to move at all, he can activate his visa then turn around on the next plane and come straight back to the UK if he wants!

HTH.

Wow, thank you so much, I didn't know any of that. So hypothetically, if we apply now, he gets his PR in September, we go out there on holiday in October for half term, he activates his PR, then we can come back and plan our move with ease because that's it, he can now live in Canada with us when we're ready? Or have I misunderstood? Do you live in Canada (if so you're up early/late!) or are you here in the UK?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow, thank you so much, I didn't know any of that. So hypothetically, if we apply now, he gets his PR in September, we go out there on holiday in October for half term, he activates his PR, then we can come back and plan our move with ease because that's it, he can now live in Canada with us when we're ready? Or have I misunderstood? Do you live in Canada (if so you're up early/late!) or are you here in the UK?
Yes, hypothetically that would work just fine. Once he's got his visa, he has a year from the date of his medical to activate it (so for instance, if he had his medical at the end of this month he'd have until the end of March 2013 to fly over and 'land').

But once he's activated his visa and is a PR of Canada he doesn't have to stay there, he can move over any time - because he's married to a Canadian citizen he keeps his PR status up just by being with you. Normally a PR has to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada, but that requirement doesn't apply to spouses of citizens - see the Wiki article about Residency Obligations for more info. There is also a Wiki article about landing as a PR which may be useful.

And I'm in the UK, currently procrastinating as I can't face a day of wallpaper stripping which is what I should be doing! Awaiting my own PR, sadly not a spousal sponsorship case though, so nowhere near as quick as yours will be!

Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:27 am
Just Joined

You have just totally made my day! This means that we can hang around here while it still suits us and apply for jobs and move out there once one of us has found a job. As we only need around 4-6 weeks to plan the move this makes things so much easier and less stressful. Thank you so much!

And you know, wallpaper stripping can be quite therapeutic! Always reminds me of Jim Royle and his buddy doing that dance
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You have just totally made my day! This means that we can hang around here while it still suits us and apply for jobs and move out there once one of us has found a job. As we only need around 4-6 weeks to plan the move this makes things so much easier and less stressful. Thank you so much!

And you know, wallpaper stripping can be quite therapeutic! Always reminds me of Jim Royle and his buddy doing that dance
The outlook for the Albertan economy is strong so that is good. The experience of many posters is that it is still very difficult to get a job while you are overseas unless you have some rare skills to offer. It seems rather strange telling this to a Canadian, but many Brits have much greater success by getting out here and meeting people - building up a network of contacts within their industry. It is worth getting your OH to read the job hunting articles in the wiki.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:46 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Isn’t it a bit unfair to make your husband and child to move away from everything they know to go and live in Edmonton, AB? I realize you grew up there but it’s not a destination most people would go to by choice? Most people I know from there have either left or want to.
i have the misfortune of half my mrs' family living there. I was there for two weeks in Oct...near killed me, but the west eddy mall was a few blocks away...and people say vancouver has no culture
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
i have the misfortune of half my mrs' family living there. I was there for two weeks in Oct...near killed me, but the west eddy mall was a few blocks away...and people say vancouver has no culture
But it has a wave pool and glow-in-the-dark mini golf.

Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:59 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But it has a wave pool and glow-in-the-dark mini golf.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5MY2o20Ipm...nton-Mall2.jpg
It's so massive, i completely missed the fact that there is also a fun fair. I hated it. I felt like i was a contestant on some reality show...where i awoke every day to find myself at the mall.

I also noticed that every area of the city appears to be a replica of the last with the same biege coloured housing and strip malls, not say that vancouver does not suffer from this, but not nearly to the same extent as Edmonton.

While i like Canada, i'd have to elect Derbyshire over Edmonton. I also tend to agree that Canada 'has nice bits.' After spending half my time in the province's backwater towns, i have a new appreciation for the words,,,shithole and hick.....
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:06 pm
Banned

Here ya go...aerial view of the mall....bit like a nuclear power station with skylights

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta-36877141.jpg
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Here ya go...aerial view of the mall....bit like a nuclear power station with skylights

Attachment 105791
"Like the GTA. Without Toronto."
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Like the GTA. Without Toronto."
I'd actually say the GTA is worse, at least a lot more sprawly....i had the misfortune of being in Milton for a week for an investigation which included a visit to the correctional centre there....which is reminiscent of the West Eddy Mall minus the wave pool.

I would, however, pick TO over Edmonton or Calgary for that matter.

Greater Vancouver is heaven in comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.