Reload this Page >

Immigrating with a dog

Immigrating with a dog

Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

sushilover is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Immigrating with a dog

Hello everyone,

We are hoping to move over to Canada via the intra company transfer process, which we looked into after getting some cracking advice from Christmas on this very site!

We are in the process of sorting everything out, however I wonder who has moved over with an animal? I have a rescue dog who would like to come (!). He is a Belgian Shepard. Can anyone who has moved to Ontario with a dog let me know how you went about it? I have put in for a quote from one company but am still waiting to hear back. What I am aware of so far though is animals cant go on any flights and there are only certain flights which take animals in the hold.

Thank you
Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating with a dog

Originally Posted by sushilover
Hello everyone,

We are hoping to move over to Canada via the intra company transfer process, which we looked into after getting some cracking advice from Christmas on this very site!

We are in the process of sorting everything out, however I wonder who has moved over with an animal? I have a rescue dog who would like to come (!). He is a Belgian Shepard. Can anyone who has moved to Ontario with a dog let me know how you went about it? I have put in for a quote from one company but am still waiting to hear back. What I am aware of so far though is animals cant go on any flights and there are only certain flights which take animals in the hold.

Thank you
Air Transat - depending on weight, pets can be transported as accompanying excess baggage once they resume flights in June https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra...d-service-dogs Air Transat do not require you to use a pet transportation company.. Air Canada may do, if your dog is larger than allowed as baggage - via Cargo.

Lots of threads on the subject if you search
We have a very useful wiki on the subject too.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 7th 2021 at 4:47 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much!
Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Thank you
Thank you very much!
Very welcome! One thing though - I thought you were applying under the Self Employment Route?
I don't think you would be permitted to move to Canada on an inter company transfer if you are self employed and own the company in the UK!
Old Apr 10th 2021, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

VivM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sushilover.....another Belgian Shepherd here wanting to move with me too!! Alberta for me with Rory, a young Main Coon cat. Riot's a Tervuren aged 11. I expect he'll be 12 or 13 by the time we make it over. His mother is 16 so long life genes have passed on I hope.
I'll be watching your thread if you don't mind, and will post anything of interest I come across. I'll look into the Air Transit option... but my local kennel owner has experience of taking a dog to Manchester to get transported and was very impressed with the whole welfare and processing, which I find quite reassuring!
Good luck with it all! Viv.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

ArekDeBoss is an unknown quantity at this point

In the same boat hereAs far as I know at the moment Air trans does not take cargo booking. For now just air Canada from Heathrow what for me is an extra pain and the cost since the dogs ( two big ones) need to go there at least a day earlier. And Air Canada is more expensive than air trans.
As well as there is no guarantee they will be on the same plane as us.
If you have any newer news I would appreciate a shout.
Good luck
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Well, its good to hear I'm not alone! Still haven't heard from the people I asked for a quote, so its back to the drawing board. I'll look into air transit, its all a bit up in the air at the moment but fortunately we have a friend in Ontario we can stay with for a bit - the next hurdle is going to find somewhere to live that will accept the dog. Arek, I'm guessing the air transit rule re no cargo has something to do with covid?
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, no we have had everything checked out and going through the process now, just waiting on confirmation of registration of the company in Ontario, that needs done before we can put the application in.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, no we have had everything checked out and going through the process now, just waiting on confirmation of registration of the company in Ontario, that needs done before we can put the application in.
If you're still applying under the Self Employed route, then no, it doesn't! No need for a company set up in Canada at all to get a visa.

Top tip: if you hit the 'quote' button then people know who you're responding to, and you can also use the 'multi-quote' button to respond to more than one person at once.

HTH.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well, its good to hear I'm not alone! Still haven't heard from the people I asked for a quote, so its back to the drawing board. I'll look into air transit, its all a bit up in the air at the moment but fortunately we have a friend in Ontario we can stay with for a bit - the next hurdle is going to find somewhere to live that will accept the dog. Arek, I'm guessing the air transit rule re no cargo has something to do with covid?
It's winter/summer schedule. It supposed to change in April but because of Covid changes mid June. It might be also to do with their financial issues and air Canada deal collapsing. And Canadian shutdown as well.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 3:40 pm
Banned

You do not need to register a company to apply under the Self Employed PR stream... quite the opposite! Under that stream you are saying that you have been self employed in the past and intend to be self employed in the future... you don't even have to open a company when you get here!

If you are trying to register an incorporated limited company you will need someone in Canada to act as your director - a requirement under Ontario regulations is for one director at minimum to be residing in Canada - https://www.ontario.ca/page/incorpor...ss-corporation.

To qualify for an Intra Company Transfer Temporary Work Permit you will need to meet many conditions.

The Canadian and foreign enterprises must be legal entities that have a parent, subsidiary, branch or affiliate business relationship. Both the Canadian and foreign companies must be, or will be doing business.

the transferee may apply if they.... have been employed continuously (via payroll or by contract directly with the company), by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position (not accumulated part-time) for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application
I strongly suggest you read this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-foreign.html
Doing business means regularly, systematically, and continuously providing goods and/or services by a parent, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada and the foreign country, as the case may be. It does not include the mere presence of an agent or office in Canada. For instance, a company with no employees which exists in name only and is established for the sole purpose of facilitating the entry of intra-company transferees would not qualify

Evidence of the fact that a company is actively doing business such as annual reports (for public companies), articles of incorporation, profit/loss statements, partnership agreements, license to do business, business tax returns and registration with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency as an employer, may be useful. Both the Canadian and the foreign branches of the company must be doing business for the duration of the intended stay in Canada of the intra-company transferee. The foreign national employee must be able to transfer back to the foreign company at the end of their assignment in Canada.
and under 'start up' - and documentation requirements on this one https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

I'm wondering which Immigration Consultant is advising you to register a company in Ontario to apply for a TWP temporary work permit under intra company transfer - which isn't a PR route, just a way of getting a work permit and then after a year or more of working in Canada applying under the Canadian Experience Stream, if you still qualify. (Immigration changes constantly)

Something else to consider... as Temporary Work Permit holders, you may be required to show proof of ties to the UK.. and an intent to return.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 11th 2021 at 4:20 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Canada with 3 dogs in 2018.Transported ourselves using Air Canada from Heathrow to Toronto. Details in thread below
Diary of our move to Canada
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:25 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know the state of the industry at the moment but 3years ago we used Air Transat for our 27kg Labrador. They were fantastic and he was absolutely fine in his crate, nothing at all to worry about. I simply phoned them up and made arrangements well in advance. He was on the same flight as us and essentially went as oversized luggage, with abit more paperwork.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
I dont know the state of the industry at the moment but 3years ago we used Air Transat for our 27kg Labrador. They were fantastic and he was absolutely fine in his crate, nothing at all to worry about. I simply phoned them up and made arrangements well in advance. He was on the same flight as us and essentially went as oversized luggage, with abit more paperwork.
Just to clarify you just called Air Transat customer service/ booking number (?) and just sorted it out with them? Getting any info about future services would be good. Animal transportation companies Kona jack s..t ;-)
Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss
Just to clarify you just called Air Transat customer service/ booking number (?) and just sorted it out with them? Getting any info about future services would be good. Animal transportation companies Kona jack s..t ;-)
See the side panel on the right of this page for the phone number
https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Tra...d-service-dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.