Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going to tell my parents of our plans to emigrate tomorrow

I'm going to tell my parents of our plans to emigrate tomorrow

Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm going to tell my parents of our plans to emigrate tomorrow

Dreading this. I'll let you all know how it went. Not holding out much hope for the reaction. Poor sods.
linsy
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going to tell my parents of our plans to emigrate tomorrow

It's a hard call but wish all the best.
Regards
Joinerboy
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Dreading this. I'll let you all know how it went. Not holding out much hope for the reaction. Poor sods.
linsy
We told our Mum's that we were going for a year and would be back...soften the blow and all that...lol. Nearly 3 years later we are still here!

Good luck x
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:41 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, I really don't envy you one bit even though I can't say I had the same problem, my parents had buggered off the year before to France.....

Fingers crossed for you.

Charlie

Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:06 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck

Ours never took it well, but came round to it after we left
If we don't see you on the board for a few days well send a search party out for you

LB
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you and just remember, time is a healer. Your life is just that.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Good luck - hope it doesn't go too badly for you. My parents sort of came round to the idea after a while but I always get the feeling that they think we'll change our minds.

Amy's idea of saying you're going for a year isn't a bad one.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:08 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...just tell them you're going on holiday for a fortnight. Old people are easily confused and their memories are shot - once you've been gone a few weeks they'll forget all about you anyway?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

good luck. I thought my family would be OK, but unfortunately my mum has not taken it that well. Hopefully things will improve, but I suspect she thinks this is just a 'phase'
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

hmmmm, good luck...

Mel.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Good luck linsy.... if all goes to plan, i'll be in the same boat as you very shortly
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:48 am
Still here!

hmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to behold

Go for it!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:20 am
Life is great!!

LISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant future

Good luck, we got mixed reactions my dad was great abo it but OH's mother went into denial and wouldnt talk about it just kept changing the subject and then his father couldnt have been more opposite saying great when can we come to visit LOL....

Just say you are giving it a year and if it doesnt work out you will return - it makes it easier for them as they assume you will be back and by then they have got use to it.

good luck
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:08 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
linsy
We told our parents last summer that we were researching Canada as a possible place to live. My inlaws didn't say ANYTHING at all, and haven't mentioned it since. My parents weren't pleased and kept asking what was so wrong with Britain. I kept quiet then for a while to let them get their heads round it but have recently started talking about it to them and they are so supportive and say they will visit every year.

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
We told our Mum's that we were going for a year and would be back...soften the blow and all that...lol. Nearly 3 years later we are still here!

Good luck x
Have they taken the hint yet that you're staying?

Originally Posted by bsmith
...just tell them you're going on holiday for a fortnight. Old people are easily confused and their memories are shot - once you've been gone a few weeks they'll forget all about you anyway?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

Good luck with telling them.
Me and the oh are one of the lucky ones, both families are planning to visit often!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.