Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:02 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
I apologize. There was no intent to cause offense.
Also regardless of his personal situation DBD is right in everything he said.

Have a read of the link he posted.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Just to say a big thank you for all that have support my family and I on this rollercoaster of a journey and we have decided to go home. I have booked mine and my youngest sons (the one Canada didn't want!) flight for the 12th March and OH and oldest son will follow when he's done school.
I can honestly say, hand on heart, that i'm relieved this is all over. It feels like our life has been on hold for 2 and half years and now we can move on. I wouldn't have done anything different and I'm glad we came but its time to go home now as we are done fighting the system.
So thanks again and i guess i'll be spending most my time on the UK forum from now on. Good luck to everyone who's coming to Canada and I hope you enjoy your lives here.
Good luck to you.I only lasted 6 months and that was too much for me.When I asked for advice about money over my sons well being, I didnt expect expats to be so, well, patriotic towards Canada, and fiercely so.So, just follow your heart.Its a shame people aren't so patriotic when it comes to the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
Good luck to you.I only lasted 6 months and that was too much for me.When I asked for advice about money over my sons well being, I didnt expect expats to be so, well, patriotic towards Canada, and fiercely so.So, just follow your heart.Its a shame people aren't so patriotic when it comes to the UK.
It's not that people are being overly patriotic towards Canada - or anywhere for that matter - I think they are just trying to advise that unfortunately the bottom lie with emmigrating is that there are rules.

You would also find that had Fatcat been succesful with her appeals then the same people commenting here would be the same ones congratulating, because they know how hard it is to in a way "get one up" on the beaurocracy.

All I can hope for anyone is that they find their own happiness somewhere (I actually can't believe I said that )
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
I apologize. There was no intent to cause offense.
No offense taken. I hope though that I have shown some knowledge of autism and related issues. I can't guess why someone, not a close relative of an autistic person, would have any such knowledge.

I think flogger's right, "the autistic spectrum" is too wide, including as it does people with autism (completely disabled needing help in performing the basic functions of life) and those with mild aspergers, likely as not the lazy and/or dimwitted children of affluent parents, fashionably diagnosed, who are not in any significant sense disabled. Confusing such diverse conditions helps no one.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
I don't think ANY diagnosed with autism get better. Some learn to adapt better but fundamenatly they are still the same.
This, I think, is quite right. Autism isn't an illness, it's part of the person. One may as well ask a person to be less gay, less hetero, less left or right handed, as ask them to be less autistic.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:37 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No offense taken. I hope though that I have shown some knowledge of autism and related issues. I can't guess why someone, not a close relative of an autistic person, would have any such knowledge.

I think flogger's right, "the autistic spectrum" is too wide, including as it does people with autism (completely disabled needing help in performing the basic functions of life) and those with mild aspergers, likely as not the lazy and/or dimwitted children of affluent parents, fashionably diagnosed, who are not in any significant sense disabled. Confusing such diverse conditions helps no one.
agree again
whilst my daughter has come on huge amounts since being in Canada due to early intervention and assistance, all this has only impacted how she learns to deal with different situations and perhaps for me as a parent has taught me a lot on how to pre empt difficullt situations and handle them better.

Fundamentally my daughter still has autism , still has the same classic diagnostic features as when she was diagnosed a year ago and I believe will continue to have for the best part of her life, albeit to varying degrees, who knows. I dont think I am doing a dis service to my daughter by saying this, I am being realistic. (just my opinion). My daughter has classic austism on the autistic spectrum.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
agree again
whilst my daughter has come on huge amounts since being in Canada due to early intervention and assistance, all this has only impacted how she learns to deal with different situations and perhaps for me as a parent has taught me a lot on how to pre empt difficullt situations and handle them better.

Fundamentally my daughter still has autism , still has the same classic diagnostic features as when she was diagnosed a year ago and I believe will continue to have for the best part of her life, albeit to varying degrees, who knows. I dont think I am doing a dis service to my daughter by saying this, I am being realistic. (just my opinion). My daughter has classic austism on the autistic spectrum.
A tough row to hoe, I wish you every kind of luck.

FWIW, the two conundrums (conumdri?) related to autism for which I have no good answers are: what happens to the autistic person when his or her parents die and how does one keep the autistic person's teeth in good shape. I don't suppose anyone here has a good resolution to the former problem but I'd be interested to hear of a strategy for the latter, even if it's not likely to be of value to me at this stage.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:22 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

okay, i'm going to end this tread as i began it and say thank you to all for there best wishes and we are happy with our decision. yes its left a bitter taste in my mouth, however, i accept that a decision was made, right or wrong and it is what it is. My son is Autistic and I have no problem shouting it from the roof tops as i am very proud of him and the people who have helped him to get where he is now and he has nothing to be ashamed of by being Autistic. If one day he were to tell me not to say anything thing then I would accept that but for now, people give him extra time to process information so they get an answer to their questions and that is necessary so that he doesn't come across as rude or ignorant.
Neither am I saying that because I live with autism i know it all, but i do know alot as I listen to my adults on the spectrum too as they are the ones that can let us know what their needs are, so i do feel experienced enough to speak about autism and how it affects a vast range of age and difficulties, but i'm no expert and I learn something new everyday.
So to all those who are living with this, best wishes and be proud of your kids for who they are and the adults they will become and the small milestones they achieve. Be proud of yourself for educating yourself enough to help them.
So good luck everyone and I wish you all well. see you on the returning home forum x
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:29 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A tough row to hoe, I wish you every kind of luck.

FWIW, the two conundrums (conumdri?) related to autism for which I have no good answers are: what happens to the autistic person when his or her parents die and how does one keep the autistic person's teeth in good shape. I don't suppose anyone here has a good resolution to the former problem but I'd be interested to hear of a strategy for the latter, even if it's not likely to be of value to me at this stage.
If anyone out there that can help regarding teeth, brushing and dental visits. Please advise. We are still getting through hair brushing at the moment, daycare seems to have it working better than us at home at the moment, she seems to prefer it there.

Long term future care- work in progress
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:40 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
okay, i'm going to end this tread as i began it and say thank you to all for there best wishes and we are happy with our decision. yes its left a bitter taste in my mouth, however, i accept that a decision was made, right or wrong and it is what it is. My son is Autistic and I have no problem shouting it from the roof tops as i am very proud of him and the people who have helped him to get where he is now and he has nothing to be ashamed of by being Autistic. If one day he were to tell me not to say anything thing then I would accept that but for now, people give him extra time to process information so they get an answer to their questions and that is necessary so that he doesn't come across as rude or ignorant.
Neither am I saying that because I live with autism i know it all, but i do know alot as I listen to my adults on the spectrum too as they are the ones that can let us know what their needs are, so i do feel experienced enough to speak about autism and how it affects a vast range of age and difficulties, but i'm no expert and I learn something new everyday.
So to all those who are living with this, best wishes and be proud of your kids for who they are and the adults they will become and the small milestones they achieve. Be proud of yourself for educating yourself enough to help them.
So good luck everyone and I wish you all well. see you on the returning home forum x
This demonstates the problem with the name of the spectrum. Aspergers ain't Autism and hopefully one day they might rename the spectrum to make things clearer. Then hopefully people in your situation won't be denied PR by CIC.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we should respect fatcats wishes , Moderators please lock this thread .
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
I think we should respect fatcats wishes , Moderators please lock this thread .
Why so, it's an interesting and informative thread.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Why so, it's an interesting and informative thread.
agreed - it's good for those in the know to have discussions of this nature, that way anyone else can be directed to this thread
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
agreed - it's good for those in the know to have discussions of this nature, that way anyone else can be directed to this thread
agreed
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:03 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
If anyone out there that can help regarding teeth, brushing and dental visits. Please advise. We are still getting through hair brushing at the moment, daycare seems to have it working better than us at home at the moment, she seems to prefer it there.

Long term future care- work in progress
If you want to pm me some details of your daughter, age, diagnosis etc i'll let you know what i did/suggest unless your happy to share it on the thread?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.