Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
It does..its called early intervention
Yes, I know what it's called.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, I know what it's called.
You seem to know everything! Perhaps you should be the one diagnosing autism! Forget all the months and months of assessments by pediatricians, psychologists, speech therapists, etc, they clearly don't know a thing - I should have asked you! But then again, by what you've said previously, my daughter and the OP's son probably don't have it since they've both progressed amazingly as they get older.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatcat65

Your absolutely right, they learn to cope with things they couldn't as a child as they understand more and get used to stuff. Desensitization I think they call it!!
My son couldn't cope with going in supermarkets when he was young and we had to throw him over our shoulders and carry him out kicking and screaming and punching us, however, today he loves going shopping. I give him a list and he goes and gets the stuff!

He made me laugh yesterday...I said to him "what have you done at school today", "cooking" he said, "oh what did you make?", I asked, "noodles" he said (thats pasta in Canada), "oh, what did you make with it?", and he listed a load of stuff off like garlic, tomatoes etc, "oh that sounds nice, did you save me some", "no", he said, "i ate it!"
That is something he would never have done before we came to Canada, he ate all the cinnamon biscuits he made and loves making sugar cookies and his favorite chocolate cake!
Haha, I love it, that's adorable! I can't wait until my daughter is able to tell me more about what she's been up to at school too! We're working on her understanding of abstract things and time concepts... she's getting better and better at it all the time!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:41 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
You seem to know everything! Perhaps you should be the one diagnosing autism! Forget all the months and months of assessments by pediatricians, psychologists, speech therapists, etc, they clearly don't know a thing - I should have asked you! But then again, by what you've said previously, my daughter and the OP's son probably don't have it since they've both progressed amazingly as they get older.
In my opinion the spectum is too wide and encompasses a number of diagnosis which all have their own symptoms. Classic autism, Asperger, PDD, Retts, Childhood disintegrative disorder. Lumping all these together doesn't seem helpfull when each one has specific symptons. which is why possibly it can be such a grey area regarding CIC.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that not all those diagnosed with Autism do get better. Canada recruits immigrants to improve the economy and CIC have medical requirements to ensure people coming here for economic reasons are a net gain, not a burden, so sometimes hard decisions are made. Seems Autism is not well enough defined in the likely demands across the spectrum but as it stands no IO is going to allow someone with an Autistic child to come here for the reasons laid out above. There are too many other people for them to pick from instead. Is it any different to refusing admission to someone with a criminal record for something they are not ever going to repeat, or who is in remission from cancer?

Its not equal or fair, it sucks for the OP, but then immigration isnt there to ensure that a random cross section of society is admitted, they are there to cherry pick. Is it prejudice? You could argue that the whole idea of having people filter the applicants for PR rather than have first come first serve is prejudiced.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 18th 2011 at 7:49 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:56 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The point is that not all those diagnosed with Autism do get better. Canada recruits immigrants to improve the economy and CIC have medical requirements to ensure people coming here for economic reasons are a net gain, not a burden, so sometimes hard decisions are made. Seems Autism is not well enough defined in the likely demands across the spectrum but as it stands no IO is going to allow someone with an Autistic child to come here for the reasons laid out above. There are too many other people for them to pick from instead. Is it any different to refusing admission to someone with a criminal record for something they are not ever going to repeat, or who is in remission from cancer?

Its not equal or fair, it sucks for the OP, but then immigration isnt there to ensure that a random cross section of society is admitted, they are there to cherry pick. Is it prejudice? You could argue that the whole idea of having people filter the applicants for PR rather than have first come first serve is prejudiced.

I don't think ANY diagnosed with autism get better. Some learn to adapt better but fundamenatly they are still the same.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:07 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flogger
I don't think ANY diagnosed with autism get better. Some learn to adapt better but fundamenatly they are still the same.
right on well said

Do alcoholics ever say, i was an alcoholic but i'm not now...no they say I'm am an alcoholic but i've been sober for blah blah blah...they know what they are as do many with ASD and accept it and learn how to cope with things!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Its such a coverall term, and there is always the possibility of misdiagnosis.

Either way, if I was an IO, why would I take any chance on allowing in someone who might end up costing the government in support. Its their job to err on the side of caution. Its not like there is a dearth of other applicants.

It sounds harsh, but their job is to protect Canadas interests, not promote "neuro diversity". It sucks for the OP, and I hope it all goes well for them from here on in.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 18th 2011 at 8:48 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:29 pm
no I aint

Its such a coverall term, and there is always the possibility of misdiagnosis.

Either way, if I was an IO, why would I take any chance on allowing in someone who might end up costing the government in support. Its their job to err on the side of caution. Its not like there is a dearth of other applicants.

It sounds harsh, but there job is to protect Canadas interests, not promote "neuro diversity". It sucks for the OP, and I hope it all goes well for them from here on in.
Yes I agree. 4 pages back I said it was unfortunate for the OP but it is what it is.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:30 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I think that arguing with some IT businessman bloke about whether your child is autistic or not is pointless.

You clearly know a lot more than he does about it from a personal perspective; he likes arguing, that's what he does and he's good at it.

Best of luck to your family, your story does not sound a happy one.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
I think that arguing with some IT businessman bloke about whether your child is autistic or not is pointless.

You clearly know a lot more than he does about it from a personal perspective; he likes arguing, that's what he does and he's good at it.

I think you need to be aware that he has an autistic child. The fact that he has chosen not to shout this from the rooftops on this thread speaks volumes. I don't always agree with him, but he has presented a more cogent argument than others that seem to be saying "I have such a child, so I know best".

I bet you feel a right idiot now. I believe an apology is in order.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

You clearly know a lot more than he does about it from a personal perspective;
This is a classic example of the confusion that arises on the internet due to the anonymity of the posters. I hope dbd finds it as funny as I do, otherwise it would be offensive.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You clearly know a lot more than he does about it from a personal perspective;
he likes arguing, that's what he does and he's good at it.

I'll beat Fled to it here "uh-oh".
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:48 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps this is the sort of thing the immigration people hope to avoid. Imagine the outrage in Edinburgh if it was a newly-landed Romanian child that the council suddenly had to fund.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

This is a classic example of the confusion that arises on the internet due to the anonymity of the posters. I hope dbd finds it as funny as I do, otherwise it would be offensive.
I apologize. There was no intent to cause offense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.