Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Probably more likely top-notch legal aid hired through the police union.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:45 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Probably more likely top-notch legal aid hired through the police union.
right!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatcat65
maybe, but autism shows itself at an early age so they would/should have known and this kid is not young and they would have known as he didn't just have Autism either!
Has he been here a long time then and came when the child was a baby, or maybe even born here?

These things depend on the IO reviewing the case-even though there will be guidelines, stats based on cost etc.

I can understand your disappointment, we came before we had PR and it is a risk that you can be refused and have to head back, especially if one of the family has a medical condition.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:57 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Has he been here a long time then and came when the child was a baby, or maybe even born here?

These things depend on the IO reviewing the case-even though there will be guidelines, stats based on cost etc.

I can understand your disappointment, we came before we had PR and it is a risk that you can be refused and have to head back, especially if one of the family has a medical condition.
Agree, whilst it is disappointing for the OP and I wish them all the luck with their move, it clearly does seem to depend on the IO looking at the case, it has been shown even on this site that some people with children with varying degrees of autism have been able to obtain PR, others like you say may have moved here with PR prior to a diagnosis being made
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
NEPOTISM
I stand corrected ! must be keys on key board need replacing
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Seems like a paradox to me that Canada could potentially split families by having no rights to a family life
But Canada is not choosing to split up the family - we are, by emigrating
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely comment. Generally, the principal immigrant is the one granted residency based on their potential benefit to the country, but having the right to bring your family with you is a more fundamental human right.

If Canada is so damn picky, the why do they have one of the highest rates of immigration in the western world. Why are they one of the few countries that allow the wholesale immigration of the wider family unit (i.e. grandparents). Your telling me that the immigration of ten's of thousands of eldferly parents of immigrants isn't a drain on healthcare??
well said!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

mancunian.com is an unknown quantity at this point

When was the last time you lived in the UK? 1950's ? A lot has changed since then. Do you not think that 10% of the people own 90% of the wealth in North America too?

BTW, are you really eighty and have 3 young kids
Was there for two years in 80s. Like to keep up to date via academic friends,reading, dozens of relis and my 24 yr Aussie daughter is working there just now.
Yep! 3 kids 4, 5 and 8 years (9 in all - 50 yrs down). Would have more but wife, now 34, said: Enough!

If one eats properly, exercises and has regular checkups and treatment
one can be useful and happy. Today, after a week chain- sawing and clearing up after our worst ever cyclone, Yasi, I finally fixed my roof antenna blown out of line.

Of course, this will be of concern to younger people who pay taxes to support us. So, following the urges of the Australian government, I have provided my share of future workers. Latest reports here say that, because of childhood obesity, the present kids will be the first who will live shorter lives than their parents. So perhaps Gaia in action?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I agree in principle, however, they do not have a full understanding of Autism and its spectrum and to how these individuals can contribute to society both economically and socially. Just think if it wasn't for Einstein where would we be now!!
However, my son would not cost them even their alloted $5000 a year and that's what we proved but they still turned us down.
Anyway like you say its hard on us and thats why we're going home, i realized 2 years ago you can't fight the system here unless you can afford an expensive lawyer and i refuse to pay anymore into this country...we might as well of handed our cheque book in at immigration when we arrived here as this country has bled us dry both financially and emotionally.
Like i said 'no regrets' and i'm glad we've been and done it.
Although I wonder what the IO would say if she could see how upset my Autistic son is about having to leave his friends and school that he's loves??
Odd though that in our town there is a police officer from the UK whos child has numerous Autistic difficulties and is claiming all sorts off the state but has PR...how does that work?
Like some others on here have said already - you should definitely take this to the papers! Considering your son's costs would have been covered by you, I think it's ridiculous that Canada's still turning you down; it just doesn't make sense.

Even though the schools there aren't too happy about taking my Autistic daughter on and have rejected her at least the country can't do the same in our case! It's a horrible feeling when you feel like your child is being discriminated against. I can't blame you for throwing the towel in!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
Like some others on here have said already - you should definitely take this to the papers! Considering your son's costs would have been covered by you
I think this is a can of worms best not spread across the papers.

A parent can only promise to fund the costs of a child while the parent lives, eventually the burden falls on the state. The situation in Ontario is clear cut, someone, typically a sibling, is made legally responsible for the child (now a disabled adult) in place of the deceased parents. The government mails that person a monthly cheque for just under $1,000 and that's that. In other provinces it may be that the government has a more direct involvement, perhaps including the provision of residential facilities. In such cases the costs will be higher but less easy to quantify.

In all cases the government is going to put up some money and that will be more than $5,000 a year. It may be that rules discriminating against the disabled do not seem fair to the British but that's how the game is played in Canada. For my money, and it is directly where my mouth is, an autistic person is better off in Europe than in Canada. In order to make a case for moving a family including an autistic person to Canada, the anticipated improvement in life for the rest of the family must be overwhelming. I can't see quite how this can be the case (where the person in question has any significant degree of autism) given that the move commits one or more of the siblings to a lifetime of caring for the disabled person.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I'm going to spending a few days in Henley on Thames next week. I am pretty sure it is no more aggressive (whatever this means), dirty, or overcrowded than Toronto. Even without looking at the stats I think I am less likely to be shot.
I don't find there to be much difference between the services provided through Property Tax/Council Tax (the poll tax is long gone) in the UK and Canada.
Live in Tower Hamlets my friend and you would agree. Poll Tax had it's name changed to Council tax but we know what it really is.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxye3
Live in Tower Hamlets my friend and you would agree. Poll Tax had it's name changed to Council tax but we know what it really is.
One of my daughters is emigrating from Canada. She intends to live in Limehouse. I'm not sure if that's actually in Tower Hamlets but I bet it's a lot less dirty, aggressive and overcrowded than she's used to. Breath of fresh air, I shouldn't wonder.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is a can of worms best not spread across the papers.

A parent can only promise to fund the costs of a child while the parent lives, eventually the burden falls on the state. The situation in Ontario is clear cut, someone, typically a sibling, is made legally responsible for the child (now a disabled adult) in place of the deceased parents. The government mails that person a monthly cheque for just under $1,000 and that's that. In other provinces it may be that the government has a more direct involvement, perhaps including the provision of residential facilities. In such cases the costs will be higher but less easy to quantify.

In all cases the government is going to put up some money and that will be more than $5,000 a year. It may be that rules discriminating against the disabled do not seem fair to the British but that's how the game is played in Canada. For my money, and it is directly where my mouth is, an autistic person is better off in Europe than in Canada. In order to make a case for moving a family including an autistic person to Canada, the anticipated improvement in life for the rest of the family must be overwhelming. I can't see quite how this can be the case (where the person in question has any significant degree of autism) given that the move commits one or more of the siblings to a lifetime of caring for the disabled person.
That's fair enough what you're saying, and I can see how it applies to people that really are disabled and can't cope on their own. But the boy in question isn't exactly 'disabled'. He's high-functioning autistic. There's a huge difference. Most if not all high-functioning autistic children, once they become adults, can work (and pay taxes!) and be totally independent, just like you and me. It's only when people on the spectrum are younger that they need the extra help and funding. By the time they're adults they've learned how to cope with situations that they couldn't cope with as children.

Clearly you don't know enough about autism, but then that's no surprise as most people don't. It is an incredibly vast spectrum. You yourself may even be on the spectrum without knowing!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
That's fair enough what you're saying, and I can see how it applies to people that really are disabled and can't cope on their own. But the boy in question isn't exactly 'disabled'. He's high-functioning autistic. There's a huge difference. Most if not all high-functioning autistic children, once they become adults, can work (and pay taxes!) and be totally independent, just like you and me. It's only when people on the spectrum are younger that they need the extra help and funding. By the time they're adults they've learned how to cope with situations that they couldn't cope with as children.

Clearly you don't know enough about autism, but then that's no surprise as most people don't. It is an incredibly vast spectrum. You yourself may even be on the spectrum without knowing!
And again. Uh ho
Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:13 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One of my daughters is emigrating from Canada. She intends to live in Limehouse. I'm not sure if that's actually in Tower Hamlets but I bet it's a lot less dirty, aggressive and overcrowded than she's used to. Breath of fresh air, I shouldn't wonder.
Tower Hamlets is a polluted, racially explosive, drug riddled, poverty stricken shithole..
Granted she may be living in an even more polluted, racially explosive, drug riddled, poverty stricken shithole currently..

You say tomato I say tomato....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.