Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Originally Posted by zRichi
Great ....reads like a bitter Victor Mildrews valley of where dreams go to die. Good luck with that
If I recall correctly, it was not so much a valley where dreams go to die but a smallholding-in-rural-ON-where-dreams-became-impractical. Once dreams died/became impractical, he moved to Guelph, where presumably no-one dreams of anything.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If I recall correctly, it was not so much a valley where dreams go to die but a smallholding-in-rural-ON-where-dreams-became-impractical. Once dreams died/became impractical, he moved to Guelph, where presumably no-one dreams of anything.
Not quite the case. In Guelph people dream of smallholdings-in-rural-ON.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Are they changing that now?? I read something recently but can't remember the details apart from a quote about getting a coffin sooner than PR.
Originally Posted by mandymoochops
mmm I read that it's moving up to something like 13 years!
I think that they are reducing the annual quota for processing grandparents, meaning that if anyone applies today, then they will wait for 13yrs at current processing rates. Most countries don't view grandparents as automatic dependents and you usually have to prove some unusual circumstances. But really if you going to allow it, why make people wait 13yrs. It's a joke, but then again it's typical Canadian bureaucracy.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is there any human right in the context of immigration? I have to think not, the process is selfish both on the part of government and immigrant. I can't imagine universal legislation existing to control it.
In the EU there is the right to a family life, which is enschrined in human rights legislation. Usually, the courts take it to an extreme IMO. Not sure whether Canadian Charter of rights makes any allowance for this, but my point was that once the principal immigrant has been allowed to live & work in Canada, then the right to have their family join them seems more of a human right, than purely an immigration decision. Immigration law is no different to other law in that it can be challenged in the highest courts etc.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
In the EU there is the right to a family life, which is enschrined in human rights legislation. Usually, the courts take it to an extreme IMO. Not sure whether Canadian Charter of rights makes any allowance for this, but my point was that once the principal immigrant has been allowed to live & work in Canada, then the right to have their family join them seems more of a human right, than purely an immigration decision. Immigration law is no different to other law in that it can be challenged in the highest courts etc.
But the decision on immigration isn't framed solely in terms of the principal applicant, all the people on the application are considered and the Canadian laws specifically contravene what might be considered human rights for people within the country. Immigration law discriminates against the halt, the lame and the stupid. I think it's only in the case of refugees that any consideration to "human rights" is granted. I can't see that the Charter has any relevance.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

But the decision on immigration isn't framed solely in terms of the principal applicant, all the people on the application are considered and the Canadian laws specifically contravene what might be considered human rights for people within the country. Immigration law discriminates against the halt, the lame and the stupid. I think it's only in the case of refugees that any consideration to "human rights" is granted. I can't see that the Charter has any relevance.
shit
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

It seems you are right. I was really commenting from my own viewpoint that the right to a family life seems more like a human right. But then again I must be using my European outlook on this, as it seems as though there is no right to a family life in Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...ore-rights.asp

Refugees are dealt with under International law, so family reunification comes into play.

Seems like a paradox to me that Canada could potentially split families by having no rights to a family life, but equally extending admissions to include aged relatives who will cost the taxpayer in due course, whilst refusing other family members for basically the same reason. Also Canada is very relaxed about the granting of refugee status (look at the rates of granting status to Sri Lankan Tamils compared with other countries).

CIC just seems overly strict in some areas and very slack in others. That is all.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:34 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flogger
I don't see CIC showing an ignorance of Autism. They just seem to be more realistic of the financial strain on the tax payer, being greater than the alloted $5000 a year.

Its hard on the OP but it is what it is.
I agree in principle, however, they do not have a full understanding of Autism and its spectrum and to how these individuals can contribute to society both economically and socially. Just think if it wasn't for Einstein where would we be now!!
However, my son would not cost them even their alloted $5000 a year and that's what we proved but they still turned us down.
Anyway like you say its hard on us and thats why we're going home, i realized 2 years ago you can't fight the system here unless you can afford an expensive lawyer and i refuse to pay anymore into this country...we might as well of handed our cheque book in at immigration when we arrived here as this country has bled us dry both financially and emotionally.
Like i said 'no regrets' and i'm glad we've been and done it.
Although I wonder what the IO would say if she could see how upset my Autistic son is about having to leave his friends and school that he's loves??
Odd though that in our town there is a police officer from the UK whos child has numerous Autistic difficulties and is claiming all sorts off the state but has PR...how does that work?

Last edited by fatcat65; Feb 17th 2011 at 8:36 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I agree in principle, however, they do not have a full understanding of Autism and its spectrum and to how these individuals can contribute to society both economically and socially. Just think if it wasn't for Einstein where would we be now!!
However, my son would not cost them even their alloted $5000 a year and that's what we proved but they still turned us down.
Anyway like you say its hard on us and thats why we're going home, i realized 2 years ago you can't fight the system here unless you can afford an expensive lawyer and i refuse to pay anymore into this country...we might as well of handed our cheque book in at immigration when we arrived here as this country has bled us dry both financially and emotionally.
Although I wonder what the IO would say if she could see how upset my Autistic son is about having to leave his friends and school that he's loves??
Odd though that in our town there is a police officer from the UK whos child has numerous Autistic difficulties and is claiming all sorts off the state but has PR...how does that work?
Nepetism Probably ! Its a sorry story , good luck in your future !
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:19 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
Its probably nothing to do with nepetism and more to do with them gaining PR before child was diagnosed.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:22 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

NEPOTISM
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:25 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
NEPOTISM
Sorry I coppied im above
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:32 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
sorry but i'm not understanding quite what you mean here by Nepotism?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Diagnosed after arrival maybe?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Heh! They're not ready for that in Battersea.
They're not ready for much in South London
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:40 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Diagnosed after arrival maybe?
maybe, but autism shows itself at an early age so they would/should have known and this kid is not young and they would have known as he didn't just have Autism either!

Last edited by fatcat65; Feb 17th 2011 at 9:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.