Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

I'm going home, i've done my time!!

Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:47 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm going home, i've done my time!!

[QUOTE=mancunian.com;9182220]Perhaps when you return, Britain will be seen through fresh eyes. You may reconsider your views on the shortcomings of Canada. I remember reading the stats of returning 10 pound migrants from Australia in the sixties. When they arrived home and compared what they had in Aussie with their "new vision" of Britain 80% wanted to return to Aussie.
I don't have a view of Britain, I know why i left and the same reasons are there to go back to, so I am under no illusions that it is going to be any better. If you haven't lived in my neck of the woods you really don't know what its like. After all its each individuals perception on a place and sometime one does not settle, even though we did here, i would suggest you read my other posts and you will see what i mean.
I have not read of your historical dissapointments and they are possibly justified. But ones memory of "great" Britain is a little sentimental. I understand you have an autistic son like us. That is a massive problem anywhere and can depend where he is on the spectrum As for teachers not knowing about Aspergers etc! I am a retired teacher from England and my 5th son, eight years old now, (third marriage) is autistic. I had heard vaguely about autism and never heard about Aspergers -just like your Canadian teacher. If you had your child at the grammar school where I taught I would similarly have seemed dim. So why give that as acharacteristic of Canadian teachers. What did you know about ASD before your son was diagnosed?

My comment on that, was this teacher is a resource room teacher with a daughter on the Autistic Spectrum and should be up to speed with it, this is a small town with only two schools and the majority of resource room kids are on the Autistic Spectrum!

I think I can say that if one feels homesick one sees things differently. I migrated to NZ and Aussie and returned to the UK. 30 years ago I came back to the sunshine and had a changed attitude.

I dare say that when i go back, i may regret it in a few months time, however, we have fought the fight long enough and I am out of energy and I need to see my family and 'friends' again.
Staying there isn't forever though, we are using it as a spring board nothing more.

I constantly am amazed at the way England has stuck to the class system.The two leaders of the coalition born with silver spoons and have private, elite educations. Here in Aussie our Prime Ministere was born in the Welsh valleys and migrated here with her coal miner dad. Worked hard at school and became a lawyer. Joined the Labour party and worked her way up the political ladder. I attended Cameron's university so I'm not talking envy.

I am eighty, married with three young kids. We live in a modern house on our 50 acre property, have all the consumer toys and have a duplex in the city. All owned! We have 2 near-new cars. And yet I qualify for a full age pension and can afford holidays abroad. If I lived in England I would be in poverty street. The UK wealth is concentrated in the hands of the few. It used to be that 10% owned 90% and I doubt that has changed much. I love most people in the UK - even the aristos who, personally, are usually very nice. But the system, contrary to some popular belief, is stuck in pomposity, titles, ceremony and mostly covert class consciousness.

Maybe that will be more obvious when you return. If you go to Surrey I can introduce you to a friend with a school dedicated to ASD. She has an autistic son too. When she discovered that the local education system was inadequate she formed a group to better things. Could not you have done this in Canada?

Mancunian.[My knowledge of Autism is vast as i was a chair person of a charity that support people affected by Autism prior to leaving the UK. My son is 16 in a couple of weeks so no schooling required anymore.
Setting up a group or something like you suggest would have been something I would have done had they have given us residency. My efforts for the past two years were concentrated on my own family for a change and making sure they were doing ok and that things were in place for them and fighting this god awful system here.
]
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:50 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, the beach chair attendant fantasy. Lovely.
*sigh*
Yes, that's exactly what I implied.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:11 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
Are you serious LOL
Sadly, yes...

I often have a house full of my girls friends (12, 13, 14) & the vast majority of them are highly suspicious of any food that doesn't come out of packet.. Most refuse to eat fish or seafood & consider the potato to be the only vegetable that is actually edible (My kids will eat anything put in front of them)...

The same can be said for the older members of my wife's (Nova Scotian) family...

It's been said a thousand times already... England 40 years ago....
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I think there comes a time when (in the words of a god awful country song) you have to know when to walk away and know when to run and i'm done trying.
I can't stand the lazy attitude here to work, it drives me nuts! I can't stand the stupidity of so many things....sometimes things just don't make sense and when you question it they just say "oh well, thats the way it is"!

Yeah its to do with my son, and it just goes to show how little they know about Autism, the lack of knowledge over here is astounding and I guess that goes through all aspects of their lives here including the powers that be.
I've just had one mum say 'Aspergers isn't part of the Autistic Spectrum', and her daughter is Autistic and she's a teacher. Hello, read the info on it!!
Scary Anyway good luck with what you decide and go with your heart.
I'm really really sorry to hear about this. So, from what I can make out - Canada basically won't let your son into the country just because of having Autism? Are they actually allowed to refuse a child like that? It's disgraceful and makes me ashamed to be Canadian!

I'm interested what you're saying about the lack of knowledge about Autism over there, I always thought they knew a lot about it! We're moving to Calgary in June and my daughter is on the Autistic Spectrum, so I'm feeling a bit nervous about any help (or lack of it) she'll get there. One school has already refused her as they didn't feel they could 'cope' with her needs! We emailed them her Statement she has here in the UK and I think they freaked out and over reacted when they saw it!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
I'm really really sorry to hear about this. So, from what I can make out - Canada basically won't let your son into the country just because of having Autism? Are they actually allowed to refuse a child like that? It's disgraceful and makes me ashamed to be Canadian!
I don't see why. Countries generally pick and choose immigrants based on their potential benefit to the country. The presence of an autistic person cannot be of benefit and will be a financial drain. Even in Canada, where support for people with autism in minimal, the drain on the public purse will still be in the order of $1,000 a month for the duration of that person's life. It'd be better to choose chain smoking alcoholics as immigrants.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
Sadly, yes...

I often have a house full of my girls friends (12, 13, 14) & the vast majority of them are highly suspicious of any food that doesn't come out of packet.. Most refuse to eat fish or seafood & consider the potato to be the only vegetable that is actually edible (My kids will eat anything put in front of them)...

The same can be said for the older members of my wife's (Nova Scotian) family...

It's been said a thousand times already... England 40 years ago....
Not even salad? The people at work pretty much always have salad with a meal, or raw veggies. The veggies may be dipped in Ranch dressing but they are raaw veggies.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why. Countries generally pick and choose immigrants based on their potential benefit to the country. The presence of an autistic person cannot be of benefit and will be a financial drain. Even in Canada, where support for people with autism in minimal, the drain on the public purse will still be in the order of $1,000 a month for the duration of that person's life. It'd be better to choose chain smoking alcoholics as immigrants.
nice shiny fishing rod you have there.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Yes, I can see your point there - never thought about how much the costs are.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not even salad? The people at work pretty much always have salad with a meal, or raw veggies. The veggies may be dipped in Ranch dressing but they are raaw veggies.
I think most kids turn their nose up to any sort of veg unless its deep fried covered in ketchup LOL ..my kids when they were little (have just confessed to me) , while eating dinner both would fill their pockets with peas & carrots then sneak to the bathroom and flush the evidence down the loo LOL ...sly boogers eh !

Sorry for hijacking the thread ...Autism is far more important topic than veg.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
nice shiny fishing rod you have there.
True though, innit. And that's just looking at admitting an autistic person vs. not admitting that person. Since immigration is quota driven it'd be more accurate to compare the cost of that person with the benefit of the NT person chosen instead.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 17th 2011 at 5:03 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:12 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope, god forbid, you or someone you love isn't struck with a perceived flaw that is the uglier side of social darwinism. It would probably give you some perspective though.
Then some mean-spirited, spurious person on the internet can then liken you/your loved one to a chain smoking meth head.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:15 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Okay so to answer the question on the Autism issue:
CiC said that my son would be a drain on Canadian resources...blah blah blah:

So the plan we put together was that we would take him out of school when he's 16 (next month) and put in in the Day program (where i was the manager) and pay for a staff to accompany him out of our own pocket. This would only have been part time and would have cost us around a $1000 a month which we could easily afford.
My son is 'high functioning autism', which means he needs very little help, however, the help he needed in school was more due to the academic stuff. Once shown how to do a task he's great at it and far more diligent than my other son, who is a typical lazy 18 year old!
My AS son does a paper route, knows without reminders which houses to skip etc. The psych report we had done here on him said that he would be more than capable of working and would not need any support once shown the task. The difficulties he has are with speech and language, however, if you talk to him plainly and explain things clearly and give him a little extra time to process what you are asking he will give you an answer.
Cic with their 'vast' knowledge of autism ignored that and said that he would still be a drain on the state, even though we would be claiming nothing and he would be working and paying taxes!!
I don't get it but if that's their attitude then they can keep it, they don't deserve what he has to offer.
In my Day Program he was far more functional than my clients and they worked too!
But its their loss in my opinion and 4 tax paying immigrants will be leaving the country!
Hope that clears that up.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by zRichi
I hope, god forbid, you or someone you love isn't struck with a perceived flaw that is the uglier side of social darwinism. It would probably give you some perspective though.
Then some mean-spirited, spurious person on the internet can then liken you/your loved one to a chain smoking meth head.
I said nothing about meth. The consumption of crystal meth is no more a desirable trait in an immigrant than is autism. Both will cost the country money. Habits that contribute to tax revenues are however highly desirable characteristics.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zRichi
uh oh.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Okay so to answer the question on the Autism issue:
CiC said that my son would be a drain on Canadian resources...blah blah blah:

So the plan we put together was that we would take him out of school when he's 16 (next month) and put in in the Day program (where i was the manager) and pay for a staff to accompany him out of our own pocket. This would only have been part time and would have cost us around a $1000 a month which we could easily afford.
My son is 'high functioning autism', which means he needs very little help, however, the help he needed in school was more due to the academic stuff. Once shown how to do a task he's great at it and far more diligent than my other son, who is a typical lazy 18 year old!
My AS son does a paper route, knows without reminders which houses to skip etc. The psych report we had done here on him said that he would be more than capable of working and would not need any support once shown the task. The difficulties he has are with speech and language, however, if you talk to him plainly and explain things clearly and give him a little extra time to process what you are asking he will give you an answer.
Cic with their 'vast' knowledge of autism ignored that and said that he would still be a drain on the state, even though we would be claiming nothing and he would be working and paying taxes!!
I don't get it but if that's their attitude then they can keep it, they don't deserve what he has to offer.
In my Day Program he was far more functional than my clients and they worked too!
But its their loss in my opinion and 4 tax paying immigrants will be leaving the country!
Hope that clears that up.
If I were you before you leave , I would go to the papers ! make a right stink before you leave, 4 family members who have become vicitims of CIC's ignorance towards Autism makes me so angry ...Im sure the media will be interested in your story !

Yet its OK to keep an immigrant in prison for many years who has committed serious crimes ..who draws the line here as to where the tax payers money would be better spent ...ok I have to sign off Im getting angry .xx

Last edited by eyeoftheocean; Feb 17th 2011 at 5:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.