Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Im 10 im worried movin to Canada

Im 10 im worried movin to Canada

Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

pirate_dude834 will become famous soon enoughpirate_dude834 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Im 10 im worried movin to Canada

thanks i will.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pirate_dude834
this has really made me feel better thanks everyone.
Hey Joe,
My kids are way younger than you (my oldest is not yet 4) but as you might guess from my username, we live in Oakville, and have done since about this time last year. Oakville has loads of families - in the little bit where we live there are always (unless it's chucking it down with rain) kids out on the street on bikes, playing street hockey (ice hockey without the ice - a lot of fun even if you haven't a clue what the rules are... take it from me, I tried it!) or just hanging out.

As you'll be arriving just around the time the schools are breaking up for summer (summer holidays are longer here than in England ) you might like to point your mum at http://secure.oakville.ca/iris/ where there are details and registration forms for summer activities for kids (and adults) of all ages. Actually, if you haven't done so already, the town's website www.oakville.ca is a good place to find out what you're in for!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I may not be able to answer myself, but can ask neighbours or neighbours' kids and get back to you!

And as Judy in Calgary said, your accent is bound to work in your favour at school - challenge yourself how long you can last before you end every sentence with "eh?", eh?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

this has really made me feel better thanks everyone.
If you have MSN my 10 yr old son Robert would like to chat to you as he is also a bit scared about the move to Canada.

I will send you a private message with his email address, just add him as a contact and then you can both have a chat.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:19 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annie3-4
Hi,
Im using my mums username. My name is Joe i am moving to oakville ontario in 2 weeks and i am scared. What is it like I will miss my friends and I am worried about school over there. are there any people my age who can talk to me. I am 10 and would really like to talk to any one else my age, especially if they are living in ontario.
Hi Joe,

this will help...

http://www3.paramountparks.com/canad...rland/#actions

http://www.wildwaterkingdom.com/base.html

http://www.ontarioplace.com/
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I have a friend who lives in oakville, he has 3 kids 3, 5 and 6. He doesn't post on here but his kids have settled in so well, only been there since last February. They love their school and have loads of friends. Constantly out playing at the moment their dad tells me, football(soccer) clubs, hockey, skating. You name it they do it.

We aren't moving to Oakville, but to Barrie somewhere else in Ontario. We took my kids, Lauren 7 yr old girl and Harrison 2 yr old boy on a visit in April. They loved it, everyone is so freindly, everywhere really welcomes kids. We stopped by the school i hope my daughter will go to and she met some of the kids we hope will be her classmates. Lauren had been quite uptight about the whole move, but she really enjoyed our visit, put her mind at rest.

I am sure that you will wonder in a couple of weeks what you were worried about.

Chris
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pirate Dude

After all these replies, you're probably feeling better now - but just to add a couple of things. My son is only 8 so you're older, but he's got friends up to 12 so knows what boys are into around here - mainly, hockey, soccer, swimming in the summer, hand-held games systems that link up so that they can play each other, x-box/playstation, marital arts (in a BIG way), bmx or just riding their bikes, snow boarding in the winter and camping.

Even if you've not done some of these things, don't worry, my son still can't skate too good but he does fun-hockey in the winter and there are plenty of kids his age who are learning too.

Judo or karate are the big martial arts - kids start from 4 upwards but you'll still find a learner club if you've never done it with plenty of older ones.

A few more tips for you:
- Girls and boys mix a lot more here than in the UK - from school activities to playing soccer together. Girls REALLY like the English accent which you may or may not like
- Hardly any of the adults who supervise the soccer clubs actually know the rules so you can make them believe anything. However, slide tackles are strictly banned! (as my red-carded son just found out!). If you can explain the off-side rule, they will be well impressed.
- The kids here start school a year later than those in the UK - so you will probably be ahead when you get here. You can just relax and do some revision for a year or so!
- Jumpers are called sweaters and the rubbish bin is the garbage.

Take care of yourself
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:00 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pirate_Dude

We moved to Nova Scotia in Jan 2007. I have 2 boys, one aged 12 and the other 16. They both settled in really well here. Kids at school were really friendly from the very first day at school - Canadian kids will all find your accent very cool The kids are a friendly bunch here and my 2 sons say that the teachers here are great and the lessons are more interesting too.

There is plenty of sports to join in with and many new ones to learn - great fun! Football (soccer) is much bigger in Canada than we thought. Lots of kids play it, most surprisingly is the amount of girls who also play.

Summer will be fun in Canada. There will probably be lots and lots of family activities organised by your neighbourhood. Just tell mum and dad to get the local newspaper and community news sheet. They are the best source of 'what's on' around where you live.

You will also be able to keep in touch with your English friends on your computer. My sons now have longer list of Canadian MSN friends than Scottish!

We all love it here and I am sure you will too. Enjoy your summer, you'll have a great time
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:35 pm
Oakville, Ontario

dancath will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
we moved here (oakville) in december and we are really enjoying it, just a little note, my husband came here back loads of years ago when he was 8 (he's quite a bit older now!!) and the place made such an impression on him we are living here now!! So that is how cool it is here, so I hope you really enjoy it here as much as we do, ( we have just discovered baseball and those 'Blue jays'!!!! Fabulous!!!
Good luck x

Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:08 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here less than two years and my son called me "Dude" today!!

You'll fit in far quicker than your mum you know. You will probably keep in touch with your best friends through MSN for a while, but you'll soon find yourself too busy with your new mates! Both my boys say Canada is FAR better than the UK and we should have done this years ago!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:06 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pirate Dude Well i'm abit of a wrinkly but i do have 2 11 yr olds and they have been here in Canada for 6 wks and they like you was really worried about school and stuff, but the kids here have really made them feel welcome and they are loving being here now. If you would like to pm me then i will get them to reply , oh and apparently school is WELL COOL .
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladymoose
Hi Pirate Dude
can play each other, x-box/playstation, marital arts (in a BIG way),

Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

pirate_dude834 will become famous soon enoughpirate_dude834 will become famous soon enough

thanks everyone you have made me feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... much better im looking forward to moving on the 24 of june
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you. Try and enjoy every minute of it and think how jealous your british mates will be when you tell them all the fab stuff you are doing

Sharon
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe:

We moved to Oakville last July when my son Ben was 11. He was really worried about making friends and school but he loves it here and never wants to go back. He made loads of friends on the first day as they all think his accent's great! You'll love it here!

If you want to chat to Ben I can pm you his email if you like.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:44 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

thanks everyone you have made me feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... much better im looking forward to moving on the 24 of june
hey Pirate_dude834,

My kids are 8 and 5 and we moved over nearly 2 years ago. The missed there friends back home for a little bit but know they say they just love it here. They have lots of friends and to be honest we don't see them too much as they are always out playing. when you move over here, school will just be finishing so that will give you time to settle and make friends in your area. It seems much easier over here to make friends and kids are very nice. You are going to love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.