Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

illegaL immagrants in western canada

illegaL immagrants in western canada

Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: illegaL immagrants in western canada

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

I get charged $40 tax and duty on delivery- she got charged nothing!
Get them shipped by regular mail. Canada Post very seldom collect the taxes on stuff I order online and have shipped that way. That includes $1500 saxes shipped with correct documentation

Last edited by iaink; Nov 30th 2011 at 2:35 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky Bugger lol.

You win some", you lose some.
As Newman would say "The mail never stops.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Good point at the end there - I travel a lot and have never had an issue with a border guard - I am friendly and co-operative from the outset and I have always been treated well in return. Interesting that the people who have such a negative attitude are the ones complaining how bad tempered and rude the guards are.
I find it depends on the situation. If you're just going for a short visit then it's not likely to be a problem, but if you show up with import permits or have something that is complex to deal with then it's a totally different situation. I have literally had screaming arguments with CBP, last time we were yelling sections of US code at each other because he didn't know what he was doing. I've filed so many complaints with DHS and CBP I've literally lost count.

Even then though when it's something dead simple, I had CBSA get their dog out and search my car for nearly an hour once. All I'd done was go to the supermarket.

Also it depends on the frequency of how often you actually come into contact with them - living in Canada I find it happens more often because I go to the US frequently.

If you fly or drive around the EU they just don't really care if you are a citizen of an EU state, but I've had some run-ins with HMRC in the past.

I find there are a lot of jobsworth ex-military types working in customs and immigration as well. Helps to get a NEXUS card for sure.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I find it depends on the situation. If you're just going for a short visit then it's not likely to be a problem, but if you show up with import permits or have something that is complex to deal with then it's a totally different situation. I have literally had screaming arguments with CBP, last time we were yelling sections of US code at each other because he didn't know what he was doing. I've filed so many complaints with DHS and CBP I've literally lost count.

Even then though when it's something dead simple, I had CBSA get their dog out and search my car for nearly an hour once. All I'd done was go to the supermarket.

Also it depends on the frequency of how often you actually come into contact with them - living in Canada I find it happens more often because I go to the US frequently.

If you fly or drive around the EU they just don't really care if you are a citizen of an EU state, but I've had some run-ins with HMRC in the past.

I find there are a lot of jobsworth ex-military types working in customs and immigration as well. Helps to get a NEXUS card for sure.
Good post.
Glad to see our US counterparts are as efficient as us.
Come on fess up where did you hide the sausages that you had just purchased from the supermarket.
As for the ex military type can you suggest another way to double dip i.e collect Army pension and work for another employer who will also give you a pension. Seems like good financial planning to me.
And from all accounts from various UK sources today with the strike who are working/on standby today at Heathrow???? The Royal Marines.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:49 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Both orders were from same uk company_ said ladies dresses on front _ mine had a big white customs label aah well she can be dd for the night!n
As peeps have said u win some u loose (sp- tired!) Some. Much like border patrol- I am always my happy self but got pulled into immig office last time at yvr as pr card hadn't arrived. The first guard was v stroppy - I knew I didn't HAVE to have card and had found the relevant bits in the regs etc,, but the lady in the immig office looked at my stuff and said "oh you shouldn't be here_ off you go!"
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Glad to see our US counterparts are as efficient as us.
What really irritates me is they start an argument with me and then about ten minutes in they actually bother to read through my entry record and realize I've complained about whatever it is before. What is the point in having a complaints procedure if they never bother to pay any attention to it?

From now on I'm simply writing to the port director.

And I have no idea why CBSA searched my car, I think the inspector was just new on the job and was overzealous, as they always are when they're new. They're told they're going to be stopping human smuggling and interdicting drugs or whatever and in reality Havre Sector has very little going on.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Its the inconsistency in interpretation that frustrates so many people. Added to that, some officers are just plain stupid & don't know their own regs.

A couple of years back when travelling on an 'E-Ticket', the girl who requested to see my ticket at YVR, (for whatever reason?)couldn't accept the fact that an email printed onto a piece of A4 was actually my ticket!

At certain points of entry, maybe more so at land ones, CBSA seem more interested in grabbing a few cents in duty rather than preventing undesirables entering?

A couple of years back when entering BC from Idaho at a remote rural POE, I was driving a rental car with my partner & wasn't even asked for my passport or what nationality I was!! I could have been Bin Ladin in disguise for all he knew. However, the inspector did insist on checking our Costco & Wal-Mart receipts, examining them with great scrutiny before waving us on our way?!?!.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:23 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

What is secondary? ....

As someone not very well travelled (in terms of variety), just Can, US, EU & Scand I have not really had any issues.

It is quite lighthearted comparable to other airports with the security on the way out of Manchester (must be the 'local' nature maybe, rather than international) but the best I have seen is summer holidays, international scout & guide camp season in europe - the airports are teaming with teenagers in uniform & as someone who has done a few of those, the entire workforce in the airports seem to treat us very well. And there would be a knife with most every kid going to camp.

I would say the US is the least friendly generally in my limited experience but even then I can sometimes get them chatting nicely. I tend to take the grumpies as a bit of a challenge.

Maybe they just want to get rid of the chatty people like me

The hardest time I have personally had was Finland, pre EU and I had a visa for a government sponsored work programme but they stilled grilled me in a little booth for a while.

Quite a surprise for a teen on only my third trip abroad in my life & travelling alone (the two trips prior being scout & guide camp season & a party like atmosphere).
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:29 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by castra
A couple of years back when entering BC from Idaho at a remote rural POE, I was driving a rental car with my partner & wasn't even asked for my passport or what nationality I was!! I could have been Bin Ladin in disguise for all he knew. However, the inspector did insist on checking our Costco & Wal-Mart receipts, examining them with great scrutiny before waving us on our way?!?!.
I once got back in the UK by waving something vaguely maroon & rectangular that could have been an unopened passport. (it was but they didn't check)

I think it was Gatwick but if it was then it was post 9/11 (I recall the explosive sniffer tests being new in florida)
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Bali2010
What is secondary? ....
The office after primary inspection (the booth).

Dealing with CBP you have to know all their jargon.

For example the line before the booth they call: "pre-primary". Often they do inspections in that line, e.g. they might walk around and look under your car with a mirror. Also at the airport they might come along and make sure you're in the right line.

There was also a new one I heard recently called "tertiary" inspection, which basically means after you clear immigration they then check your car for bombs or whatever.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The office after primary inspection (the booth).

Dealing with CBP you have to know all their jargon.

For example the line before the booth they call: "pre-primary". Often they do inspections in that line, e.g. they might walk around and look under your car with a mirror. Also at the airport they might come along and make sure you're in the right line.

There was also a new one I heard recently called "tertiary" inspection, which basically means after you clear immigration they then check your car for bombs or whatever.
I expect that if you make it to tertiary it's fair to anticipate the neoprene clad digit up the Khyber.