Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Old May 16th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Yes so far!!!!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Diabolo will become famous soon enoughDiabolo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
If you knew when you went through the process how much stress it would bring, worry, upset, pressure on relationships and finances would you still go through it to get to where you are?

Was Canada worth it?
No Stress
No Worries
No Pressure

Yes Canada is 100% worth it.... provided you plan and research properly.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ross&carolyn
Me - no, loved it here to begin with but am nearly 2 years on and realise all the things in my life that I gave up, I miss my Mum and now shes too ill to come and visit again,my friends,the job I loved, the beaches,the great tv,the food(little things you miss more when the big things you miss a lot)
If it wasn't for the kids I would happily trade in our 6 bed home and hot tub for a 2 bed terrace in England!!

Couldnt have said it better myself, No it hasnt been worth it. in my opinion. lots of reasons why but cannot be bothered to list them now.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
If you knew when you went through the process how much stress it would bring, worry, upset, pressure on relationships and finances would you still go through it to get to where you are?

Was Canada worth it?

Absolutely not.

Some people love it here in Canada , and good luck to them. I'm just not one of them.

We will go back to the UK at some point in the future
Old May 17th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough

Question:

Answer:
No. But that's just me.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:19 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

the great tv
I want to know more about this great transvestite, as I'm sure you're not talking about British television.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:13 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Too early to tell, give it 10yrs and ask me again when one of my children will be a teenage girl and the other in his twenties. That's the main reason we are going really, for the children.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

For the kids - yes, they love their school, have loads of friends, lots more to do and would hate to move back.

Me - no, loved it here to begin with but am nearly 2 years on and realise all the things in my life that I gave up, I miss my Mum and now shes too ill to come and visit again,my friends,the job I loved, the beaches,the great tv,the food(little things you miss more when the big things you miss a lot)
If it wasn't for the kids I would happily trade in our 6 bed home and hot tub for a 2 bed terrace in England!!
Karma Given to this wonderful person x x x x x x x x x x x
Old May 17th 2007, 11:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

All things considered, I don't think I would have moved to Canada. Part of my motivation was fear of America, I had a BBC/Grauniad image of the US; no healthcare, gun toting maniacs on every street corner. America Lite seemed more sensible. Since I ended up working mainly in the US anyway I may as well have gone for the real thing.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

No never. Gave up much more than we will ever gain by living here.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

If I had my time over, I'd have tried much harder to like Australia or NZ - either of those would have made more sense than coming here.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

2 years on - We all love it here and yes we would do the stress again - we would do it differently i.e. made sure we all moved out at the same time.

We have had some rough times, I was homesick for a while, but then it always takes a while to settle somewhere, wether abroad or in your country of origin. My Mum was diagnosed with Cancer (bile duct) and had to have 2/3rds of her liver removed to get to it and died on the table - twice. She has undergone her chemo and such and I haven't managed to see her (she sent a photo where she resembled Dot Cotton and one this past Christmas, she no longer resembles Dot and looks more like me Mum). She is still not well enough to travel and due to hubbies family (Son and MIL) comming at seperate times all his holidays have been used up, so I doubt we'll get back this year, even though we had talked about it.

But all things considered, we are happy here - stage two of our dream, stage 3 is still a few years off, but I have no doubt in my mind - We WILL have our campground or similar, when we are ready (when daughter has finished school).

If we had been turned down for PR, after living here for nearly two years we would not have gone back to UK and has my hubby said 'Where on earth could we go when we have found the best place for us to live, everywhere else would be 2nd best).

Good luck to all that are here and who are yet to try on a new pair of shoes
Old May 17th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, no regrest.

If I'd stayed in the UK I'd still be with a useless bugger of a husband - as it turned out, coming here made me realise just how completely useless he really is, so I booted him out! In a few short weeks I will again be a free and single girl! Now, where are all those hunky Canadian guys ....
Old May 17th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Anyone else noticed a pattern here? Be interesting to pin point all the unhappys and the happys on a map
Old May 17th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Best move we ever made Don't regret a single thing!

The whole family are much happier and more relaxed here than we were living in the UK. We've settled right in over the last 18 months, and the boys love their school/pre-school. We've got a beautiful place, with plenty of space, the likes of which we could never have afforded in England. Our neighbours are really friendly and helpful and we've made more genuine friends in 18m than we did in >5 years of living in Chester!

Obviously we do all miss our family and friends we've left behind in the UK, but absolutely nothing else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.