Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
My wife doesn't necessarily have to be registered straight away. At least having pr will allow her to jump through the many unnecessary hoops whilst there.
Actually she doesn't need PR to jump through those hoops. Good that she doesn't have to be registered straight away though, it'll take a year or two of waiting and hoop jumping judging from recent posts, so factor that in.

Plenty of posts on nursing registration in ON if you search the forums. TiryTory's currently going through the process, so I'm sure she'll advise on the length of time and cost for getting registered in ON.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 14th 2014 at 6:01 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

The first post was in part theoretical part serious advice seeking.

Our research of desired locations to emigrate to (the true reasons deserve another titled thread) are at an early stage. The point in the thread was/is to give us ideas of 'good' areas to investigate.

We will have PR. So the choice of anywhere in canada never mind ontario is overwhelming. Yes I know it's job permitting.
In regards to that. Having PR will allow me (the husband) to apply for more jobs than if I did not have PR. Applying from here in the uk or whenever we land..

My wife doesn't necessarily have to be registered straight away. At least having pr will allow her to jump through the many unnecessary hoops whilst there.
So you will be the main breadwinner and can get a job anywhere in Canada once you have PR and wait for your wife to get registered? It's hard to suggest areas when you feel like you're having to prise relevant information out of people..

Just to add... Having PR doesn't help in any way get registered, it just means you can look for other work while you wait and wait and wait. Plus I guess you're on hand for all the relevant extra courses required.

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 14th 2014 at 6:11 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you emigrate in the first place?

We couldn't afford to buy a house within the North Circular (the M25 had yet to be built and seems a long way from London anyway). We thought that, in that case, we might as well be abroad. We looked at the adverts in the trade paper.

Australia "long way away, what if we don't like it, how will we afford to come back?"

US "scary, no healthcare"

Canada "what about Canada? They speak French there."

So we went to Canada. Once you move to a place and have children there inertia sets in so, even though the children grew up and emigrated, moving on seems a trouble. Besides, we've a renovation to finish.

The moment when we would have left was when we saw downtown Toronto and how little there was there. We'd have turned right around but had no money, our fear about Australia came true on Yonge Street.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

As the title says.

I'll start off...

Oakville
Burlington
Barrie

These choices are part internet research, part advice, part gut feeling lol.

People's preferences would be interesting to hear, it would also help my wife and I try and narrow down our search to possibly a new home
You basically don't want to go South of the lake shore, North of the 401, West of the 427 or East of Victoria Park.

If you do then make sure you are heading to the airport to catch a flight.

Big box stores and pubs that are miles apart await you out there in the boonies.....hell on earth.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The first post was in part theoretical part serious advice seeking.

Our research of desired locations to emigrate to (the true reasons deserve another titled thread) are at an early stage. The point in the thread was/is to give us ideas of 'good' areas to investigate.
In case I missed any of the personal bits about you & your family you may have posted elsewhere on BE, would you mind responding to the following?

Why do you want to leave the UK to come to Canada, why not some place else - have you applied to emigrate anywhere?

Other than vacations, have you or your spouse traveled much or worked for extended periods outside the UK?

How do you or your spouse feel about leaving any friends or relatives behind in the UK or wherever they're scattered?

If you have PR to come to Canada, why is it now (or is it just now) that you are trying or looking in deciding to pick the place to live [Ontario for this thread], other provinces from your other posts?

Have you been to Canada & done the recce, if so, when & how many times?

What do you know about Canada other than what a bunch of half wit Brit expats living here post about?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 14th 2014 at 7:13 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You basically don't want to go South of the lake shore, North of the 401, West of the 427 or East of Victoria Park.

Big box stores and pubs that are miles apart await you out there in the boonies.....hell on earth.
If your interests are urban I'd wonder about going up to 401. I managed twenty years or so in Toronto without going north of Bloor and, now that I've been, I see no reason to go again.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

about a year ago there was the wife of a medical doctor coming in from the UK asking many of the same questions as the OP.

I believe they ended up in Bracebridge in January - that was due to the nature or fact that is where the job.was.

OP, Ontario is a large province & we as Brits are scattered all over it, as well as spread across Canada.

If you are thinking about living in the GTA, its an area of 7,124 kmĀ² & in 2011 it had a population of 6,054,191, with the census metropolitan area having a population of 5,583,064.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If your interests are urban I'd wonder about going up to 401. I managed twenty years or so in Toronto without going north of Bloor and, now that I've been, I see no reason to go again.
In my first stint in 04/05 I was up at Yonge and Eg. It was a nice spot in those days with decent food options.

I used to also venture to Scally Wags at St.Clair as they were the only place showing Premier League or Rugby.

But you are correct and I am in agreement. I've crossed Bloor 4 times in the last 5 years.

If you are north of Bloor best to be off Yonge Street somewhere.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 14th 2014 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by not2old
about a year ago there was the wife of a medical doctor coming in from the UK asking many of the same questions as the OP.

I believe they ended up in Bracebridge in January - that was due to the nature or fact that is where the job.was.
Really? Did she like it?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Really? Did she like it?
I think after they got a belly full of flack from the BE welcoming committee, she never posted again & yes somewhere there is a post they made it to Bracebridge .... in winter of all times to emigrate
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:41 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

OP, Ontario is a large province & we as Brits are scattered all over it, as well as spread across Canada.

If you are thinking about living in the GTA, its an area of 7,124 kmĀ² & in 2011 it had a population of 6,054,191, with the census metropolitan area having a population of 5,583,064.
Really? Did she like it?
Chortle.... Just for the record I never asked any of those questions... We already had worked out areas and jobs etc let alone which province!!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Actually she doesn't need PR to jump through those hoops. Good that she doesn't have to be registered straight away though, it'll take a year or two of waiting and hoop jumping judging from recent posts, so factor that in.

Plenty of posts on nursing registration in ON if you search the forums. TiryTory's currently going through the process, so I'm sure she'll advise on the length of time and cost for getting registered in ON.

HTH.
Not currently looking to discuss the shambles that is nursing registration on this thread, thanks for the point in the.. other direction though
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not a dig at you but I'm going to pick up on a point here because it is something that seems to come up quite often.

How important, really, is nightlife and entertainment? Not very, I'd say, unless you are in your 20s and like to party a lot.
There's more to night life and entertainment than just people in their 20s partying. I'm late 40s and still enjoy pubs/bars, concerts, theatre, comedy clubs, sporting events, restaurants, movies, etc. Nightlife and entertainment doesn't cease to be important for everyone who hits 30!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Chortle.... Just for the record I never asked any of those questions... We already had worked out areas and jobs etc let alone which province!!
was it you then with the husband who is a GP?

Hows it going in Bracebridge?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The moment when we would have left was when we saw downtown Toronto and how little there was there. We'd have turned right around but had no money, our fear about Australia came true on Yonge Street.
Yeah, downtown Guelph must put downtown Toronto to shame!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.