Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Old May 2nd 2009, 3:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

There is an issue as you age regarding health care.

I think that the major centre for cancer treatment is Vancouver, at least it was that way a few years back when a friend passed away from the disease.

He and his wife lived in Parksville but all his treatment was in Vancouver which made travelling back and forth a major issue.

Toward the end he was hospitalised in Vancouver and his wife had to find temporary accommodation in Vancouver in order to be close.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:12 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The Giants are in the Western Hockey League. It is a far higher standard than Junior A.
I sit corrected. Was too quick to assure that we had good hockey in both towns plus the Canucks.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
I sit corrected. Was too quick to assure that we had good hockey in both towns plus the Canucks.
Aren't the Grizzlies hosting the RBC cup right now? There will be a good standard of hockey in Victoria fro the next couple of weeks.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Obvious init............................

The worst thing about VI is that it's not Alberta or Nova Scotia.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

andy beacon will become famous soon enough

As said already, a wet, dark place in winter, seasonal affective disorder for some?
Then again, shovelling snow in other regions......

Ferry needed to go anywhere.....

One main road up and down the island, can't branch out per se.

Having said that, Victoria is gorgeuos, well equipped, gardens, library, shops, university etc. It came no.1 in a recent poll, mentioned on this site.

Horses for courses....

Cheers,

Andy.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Obvious init............................

The worst thing about VI is that it's not Alberta or Nova Scotia.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:28 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.

No major sports of any kind, not even junior hockey.
Its always a matter of time before a van hater comes along.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:31 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an issue as you age regarding health care.

I think that the major centre for cancer treatment is Vancouver, at least it was that way a few years back when a friend passed away from the disease.

He and his wife lived in Parksville but all his treatment was in Vancouver which made travelling back and forth a major issue.

Toward the end he was hospitalised in Vancouver and his wife had to find temporary accommodation in Vancouver in order to be close.
This is true, I had a family member of my ex wife's who was undergoing aggressive kemo and her family (from sydney) ended up staying with us on a semi regular basis - difficult when you only have the one bedroom.
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by dboy
Its always a matter of time before a van hater comes along.
Explain please.

Where did I say I hated Vancouver?
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:25 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Explain please.

Where did I say I hated Vancouver?
Seconded
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.

Canucks
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Canucks
Oh well then that case he's right.

No-one outside the lower mainland likes the "Cannots".

Before you call the "Flame-outs" down, I don't care 'cause I'm not a fan of the NHL.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Without a doubt the price of housing, is the number one issue, in my opinion. If only we shared the pricing here with homes out East. Life that way would be easier.

In general, certainly in Victoria, people do tend to be a bit more stand-offish than other parts of Canada, and are not what you'd call very open in comparison. (I think it's passed down from the colonial past and the stiff-upper lip attitude remains strong )

That's two, I had to get the second one in, it bugs me at times!

Apart from that the Island's a great place to be, and I recommend it to anyone.
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm

I stand corrected.

The Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL are a step up from junior hockey in a sense.

Although it's interesting that the ECHL (East Coast Hockey League) has teams in Victoria B.C. and Anchorage, Alaska.
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

The new footie team (Victoria Highlanders) seem to be getting a lot of advertising time on TV at the moment.

Nice to see 'soccer' on the rise over here, I suspect having the Whitecaps in the MLS from 2011 will provide a decent lift (in terms of quality and attendances).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.