Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Old May 1st 2009, 9:43 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Thumbs down If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Old May 1st 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all
Default Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Erm..

erm..

erm..

erm..

..that I didn't do it sooner?
..that most of the people I love don't??

..not that that's the poor island's fault, right enough!

The sun's out, the sea is sparkling, it's Friday afternoon ...you're not going to get anything sensible out of me!
Old May 1st 2009, 10:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had to name one.. what's the worst thing about living on Vancouver Island?

Putting aside any potential issues finding work etc, two things put us off from moving to the island - the damp/rainy climate and the cost and hassle of getting to the mainland.

It's certainly a beautiful place to visit though, and I can understand it's draw.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

The weather here (esp. on the Saanich Peninsula just north of Victoria) is drier than Vancouver. Apparently we're in a wee rain shadow, protected by the mountains. Lovely.

I've thought of it ...no John Lewis. Then again, my financial advisor would say that's a good thing. Bah.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The Ferry ride.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all

getting sun burnt......
last night, about 4:30.......
whilst layed out on my sun lounger......
drinking a large G&T......

Old May 1st 2009, 11:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
The weather here (esp. on the Saanich Peninsula just north of Victoria) is drier than Vancouver. Apparently we're in a wee rain shadow, protected by the mountains. Lovely.
Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.

No major sports of any kind, not even junior hockey.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:31 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

The Canadians!!!!!

( ok that was a joke before anyone bites my head off )
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Vancouver is hardly a worthwhile yardstick though is it? There's tons of places drier than Vancouver.
I said that because I could see from the OP's signature that he's thinking of coming to the island or Vancouver / Lower Mainland.
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Work, or lack thereof, in particular for me.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Erm..

erm..

erm..

erm..

..that I didn't do it sooner?
..that most of the people I love don't??

..not that that's the poor island's fault, right enough!

The sun's out, the sea is sparkling, it's Friday afternoon ...you're not going to get anything sensible out of me!
Like he said
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

House prices number one worst thing. Rain can be bad in the winter, cost of ferry.

Regarding sports, there is the Salmon Kings for mid level professional Ice Hockey (ECHL) . For junior hockey there is the victoria grizzlies (BCHL)

Last edited by Spongebob; May 2nd 2009 at 4:11 am.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:12 pm
Banned

GlamGran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P

No major sports of any kind, not even junior hockey.
Vancouver has the Giants, Victoria has the Grizzlies. Both Junior A.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlamGran
Vancouver has the Giants, Victoria has the Grizzlies. Both Junior A.
The Giants are in the Western Hockey League. It is a far higher standard than Junior A.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The Giants are in the Western Hockey League. It is a far higher standard than Junior A.
What he said ^^^^.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.